06 1.8 o/s indicator not working - ShellBell
Hi
I shall try and be as brief and succinct as poss!
My o/s indicator at the back does not work at all. All other lights etc work on the car.
Garage has told me I need new ECU as they can detect a signal going to the ECU but there does not appear to be any output telling the indicator to flash.
Before I spend money on this, is there anything else it could be. A new ECU sounds a bit drastic to me when its only one light not working.
I have spoken with several garages and they all have different views on whethers its the ECU and I'm getting very frustrated!
I know nothing about this sort of thing and so please respond "idiots guide"!
Many thanks in advance.
Sorry forgot to say car is 3 and half years old and has done 40,000 miles.

Edited by ShellBell on 11/11/2009 at 13:52

Someone pleeeze! Woman in distress here lol!
06 1.8 o/s indicator not working - topbloke
if this vehicle has a provable serive history then i would get vauxhall to pay towards the repairs needed or at least a contribution, has it been "code read" if the rec has an internall fault then it would at least have a trouble code stored,Regards TB
06 1.8 o/s indicator not working - redviper
The Vectra runs on whats known as the "canbus" system

While im still getting my head round it as the vectra is the 1st car that ive owned that operates on this system, my understanding is that you operate the indicater stalk and a signal is sent to the ECU, this then EITHER operates the indicator, or sends a instruction to whatever controls the indicater and instructs it to operate.

however is it a case of a bulb blown??, if not and its the former then as topbloke has said there should (i would guess) be a fault code stored in the canbus system
Hi
Thanks for your replies.
I have contacted the dealership where I bought the car and Vauxhall but they say that because the car is out of warranty and I don't have service history with any of their dealerships, they are not obliged to help me in any way!! I also contacted the Society of Manufacturers and Motor Traders as suggested by Vauxhall and they say they can't help because I am out of warranty!
I have spoken to Consumer Direct and they say that I have 6 years statutory rights regardless of warranty but I must be able to prove that the ECU has a manufacturer fault and has been there the whole life of the car. Don't know how I do that.
The car has had a Tech 2 diagnostic by a Vauxhall dealership and they were unable to give me an exact fault code but said that they thought the fault was with the rear electrical centre and that it would be £269 to replace.
I also spoke to another Vauxhall dealership who said that because it was only one indicator not working, it was more likely to be a dirty connection or broken wire! You can see why I'm getting a bit peeved by the whole thing because no one can tell me whats wrong but expects me to pay hundreds of pounds replacing something it may not be. redviper -its definitely not blown bulb.
I am presuming that a Tech 2 diagnostic would the right "machine" to access any fault codes stored within the Canbus system??
06 1.8 o/s indicator not working - Dynamic Dave
I couldn't begin to guess as to what's wrong, but does the rear o/s indicator work when the hazzard lights are switched on? If it does, then maybe it's something as simple as a faulty indicator relay or indicator stalk.
Hello
No, the light doesnt work when the hazard light is on either.
06 1.8 o/s indicator not working - elekie&a/c doctor
Has anyone tried disconnecting the battery for 10 mins?Sometimes these electronic can-bus systems can lock up and not respond and need a re-boot.hth
Hello
Just got back from vauxhall dealership, they confirmed what other garage said that I need new ECU! Aaaarrrgghh!!
The car has been sitting for a week whilst I try and sort this out and when I tried to start it this morning, the battery was dead but started with a jump start (not having a lot of luck at the moment!!). Does this count as disconnecting the battery? if not, I will try it but the second diagnostic this morning confirmed new ECU is needed. Quote £324 just for the ECU. Does anyone know where I can get one a bit cheaper?
Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate it.
06 1.8 o/s indicator not working - Number_Cruncher
Does the car have a towbar?
No. Sorry to be thick but whats the relevance?
06 1.8 o/s indicator not working - Number_Cruncher
It was just a thought, just a possibility.

>>but whats the relevance?

As your car has a CAN Bus wiring system, and you are having a problem with the rear lights, I thought that if someone had fitted a towbar badly [shockingly common], and had tried to tap into the car's rear lighting circuit to power the trailer lights that might be related to your problem.

But, you don't have a towbar, so, it can't be that.

Does this count as disconnecting the battery?

No, as there will still some residual voltage in the battery. Don't worry about a code for the stereo - you won't need one as the stereo is paired up to the car and will only work in someone else's if it's been divorved from your car beforehand. You'll have to reprogramme the electric one touch windows. Open fully, hold your finger on the open button for a couple of seconds, then close fully and hold your finger for a couple of seconds on the closed button. Repeat for all windows.
Quote £324 just for the ECU. Does anyone know where I can get one a bit cheaper?

There are many companies out there who will test and repair the ECU for anything from £50 to £100 and give 1 yrs guarantee on the repair.

I would try contacting Vauxhall to see if they'll contribute to the repair as the car has done little mileage and just out of warranty - providing of course what topbloke said, that being if it's got a full VX service history.
ShellBell, if you've not already done so, might I suggest asking over on www.vectra-c.com as there are some very knowledgeable people on there who *may* be able to offer further advice.
Unfortunately, dont have Vauxhall fsh. I have contacted everyone you can think of to try and persuade them that the ECU shouldnt go at 40,000 miles but they're not interested. Its my own fault, I just hadnt realised the importance of a Vauxhall fsh (thick I know).
Dynamic Dave - will have a look on that site now. Many thanks
06 1.8 o/s indicator not working - bathtub tom
You could try these people, they guarantee re-manufactured parts:

www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx
A company previous recommended to me was www.lynxautomotive.net . Basically remove your ECU, send it to them recorded delivery, they test and repair it, then return it to you. The advantage of this is that as it's the same ECU, it won't need programming to your car.
06 1.8 o/s indicator not working - topbloke
the garage that you used last did they give you the fault code
No, they just said that the ECu was receiving a signal to make the indicator flash but that there was no output from the ECU to actually make it flash. neither garage have given me an actual fault code although I have asked for one. They simply say that there is no output from the ECU.
I also asked whether it could just be dirty connection etc, something less costly than a new ECU but they are adamant the whole thing needs changing.
Sorry to sound a bit sexist but do you think if I got my husband to take it back they may be less inclined to try and pull the wool over his eyes? I always feel like they're trying to rip me off cos I haven't got a clue like most women?? (yes, ladies I said most, not all!)
By the way, tried BBA Reman and they wanted £300+! Yikes.
Can anyone tell me if there is a front wiring center that operates the front lights of the car. My husband has disconnected the rear center but front indicators are still working.
06 1.8 o/s indicator not working - Victorbox
By the way tried BBA Reman and they wanted £300+! Yikes.

>>

Not sure if you realise a new Vauxhall ECU will be many times this price?
You're not from BBA Reman are you lol. Vauxhall quoted £324 so not that different!
Shell, any luck with vectra-c.com? I haven't seen the question pop up on there yet.
Hi Dave
I've had problems with signing in. Don't really know why but it said my account was activated but wouldn't recognise my password!?
My husband has set up a log in this afternoon with no problem(??) and so will be posting a message shortly.
My husband has done things with wires this afternoon (he did explain but still not sure what) and he came to the conclusion that it is the ECU. I will get him to put all this info on the other forum.
Thanks for your continued support.
Shell