Quiz Time - BMDUBYA
I have just read last weeks local paper and was astonished to learn how many drivers have been in court for driving with no insurance, and guess how much the average fine was...??????
Quiz Time - Toad, of Toad Hall.
£250?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Quiz Time - CM
£100?
Quiz Time - FastShow
Quiz Time - volvoman
About 10% of what it should have been !!
Quiz Time - BMDUBYA
OK you seem to be less surprised/shocked/appalled than I was - the average fine was £70!! Needless to say, I have now cancelled my insurance as it is damn cheaper even if you do get caught. What the heck is going on? Come on HJ run an article, this MUST be stopped.
Quiz Time - volvoman
So I was wrong - I should have said 5% !
Quiz Time - FastShow
Which paper/area was this, just out of interest?
Quiz Time - BMDUBYA
North Somerset, the local weekly paper, Somerset Mercury.
OK you seem to be less surprised/shocked/appalled than I was -
the average fine was £70!!

70 quid!

As you say. Us fools who insure our cars are mindless morons.

The goverment could end this by taking up the offer of the insurance companies to fund compulsory insurance disks as they have in Ireland.
--
Quiz Time - teabelly
Blimey. I would have to get caught 10 times a year to make it not worth it! It could be means tested though as if the people without insurance were fairly poor rather than conscientous objectors then they would be fined according to their means which could explain why the fines are so low.

We supposedly have compulsory proof of insurance and MOT in the tax disc. Those needed to be constructed so they cannot be copied eg you get them in some sort of plastic holder which cannot be photocopied/scanned through.

teabelly
Quiz Time - BrianW
Fines are levied after an assessment of the offender's resources.

There is therefore little incentive for those of limited means to obey the law, especially when the potential savings are so huge.

Bring back deportation!
Bring back deportation!

A state funded 7 year break in Aussie is my kind of deterrant!
--
Quiz Time - BrianW
Thinking about it, the correct term is "Transportation".

Just the right sentence for motoring crimes!
Quiz Time - THe Growler
Why inflict more whinging Poms on the Aussies? They haven't done anything to deserve it.

As I ventured to suggest before, helping to clean up Kabul might be more salutary.
Quiz Time - volvoman
There are so many illegal immigrants here that I'd glady be deported !
Quiz Time - BrianW
" There are so many illegal immigrants here that I'd glady be
deported ! "

Then why not wait a few years until you are in the minority (unless you already are now) and claim megabucks for racial discrimination?
Quiz Time - volvoman
ps - I agree about HJ taking up the 'cause' (as if he hasn't got enough to do !). There's far too much of this going on and the rules regarding car ownership and
registration need to be tightened up considerably if the law on driving without tax/MOT/
insurance is to be effective.
Quiz Time - BrianW
Tightening up the rules will help, but it won't deter the increasing hard core who have not registered the vehicle in their own names.

The only true deterrent is concentrated random spot checks, with real law enforcement officers, not machines.
Quiz Time - volvoman
That's what I was saying needed to be sorted out Brian - there are far too many people who fail to register their cars in the first place. What can be done about that and how can we ensure that anyone caught driving a car without tax etc. is prevented from getting away with it ?
Quiz Time - BrianW
How about taking the issue of number plates away from the DVLC and let the insurance companies issue them on an annual basis.
The plates would ned to incorporate anti-duplication features such as holograms.
Quiz Time - volvoman
Is replacement number plate production regulated in any way and if not, why not ? Surely it would help if people weren't able to pop down the road with a number on a scrap of paper and get some plates made up.
Quiz Time - teabelly
I don't think can any more. The regulations have changed recently so I think you have to offer some id to get a replacement plate, and possibly even the v5 too. They also have to be done in the new squished font. It may even be a requirement to keep track of the plates that have been issued. This doesn't stop the back street dodgy plate makers one bit though.
teabelly
Quiz Time - Slice
Teabelly,

Not so apparently. I bought a set of plates a couple of weeks ago from a "major high street retailer" (name rhymes with "Balfords") and wasn't asked for any proof that I was the registered owner of the number. They also used the old style font which - like you - I thought was now a no-no (for post-1973 cars).
Is replacement number plate production regulated in any way and if
not, why not ? Surely it would help if people
weren't able to pop down the road with a number on
a scrap of paper and get some plates made up.

They could be made in prisons full of Insurance dodgers...
--
Quiz Time - BMDUBYA
What about raising the fine to a minimum of £1500, payable in one full payment, impounding the car until money received, I know this wont totally erradicate the problem but would it make people think twice?
Quiz Time - Graham
but if they're on the dole they have no money! so can't pay the fine. just go out and get another £50 car and run with no insurance tax etc again