97 1.8 ABS pump - mcalexster
I am looking to buy a second hand ABS hydraulic pump. I have been looking on the net and I have found some parts that come under the description of 'ABS Pump/Modulator', is this what I'm looking for?

Also, where do I find the part number? I have found some numbers but people go on about the number having a 614 in it but I can't find anything like that on it!! Anyone able to help?
97 1.8 ABS pump - elekie&a/c doctor
What is the problem with your pump?You would be better off getting the original unit repaired.
The pump came up on the diagnostics report as having a fault. The bloke didn't specify what the problem was though. He told me that I need a new pump. He is a reliable guy so I trust his decision. He did say that repair could be an option but it may be cheaper to get a second hand one.

I've tried online but am having difficulty finding one to match the part number of the existing one thats in the car. The part number is 1J0 614 217 A.

Any ideas?
I would guess the abs unit is an Ate type.Generally it is not the pump that is at fault but the circuit board that it is attached to.A diagnostic tester is not able to distinguish the difference (computers are clever but they have no brain).I would stick with a repair.A s/hand unit will be the same if not worse.Try these people
www.carelect.demon.co.uk/addr.html
I have replaced the ABS pump and modulator with a refurbished one (worked out to be cheaper). The initial problem has gone but I now have no brake lights when I want to brake??!!

Not sure what to do about this as I have checked everything that I could think of on the car, fuses, bulbs etc but no luck. I think it could have something to do with the trip computer or something like that. Any ideas??? I did disconnect the battery whilst I was replacing the pump and modulator???
97 1.8 ABS pump - Peter D
Check Fuse S13 10amp. Check the brake light switch at the top of the pedal. How do you know the brake lights worked before you changed the ABS unit. Regards Peter
I had checked the brake lights were working before I did the work. I checked the fuse as suggested by the car manual which is the one you mentioned and it is fine. The switch seems fine too. Could it be a matter of clearing the fault with a diagnostic machine, there are no warning lights on the dash display though? What about the on-board computer thing....ECU????
Regards Alex
The brake lights should work even if the abs system is inoperative and or disconnected.You say the switch has been checked,but some of these have a dual circuit switch ,one for the lights and one for a signal to the engine ecu.There is one break (correct spelling) circuit contacts and one make set of contacts.hth
97 1.8 ABS pump - hjr
i have had a diagnostics done on my A3 and told that i need a new ABS pump, i wanted to know how much you paid for your one?