98 2.8 Will a split cv boot fail an MOT? - dipsomaniac
will a split (in half) inner cv boot fail an mot? also does anyone know if the engine undertray is part of the mot?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/10/2009 at 20:56

98 2.8 Will a split cv boot fail an MOT? - Peter.N.
Probably. No under tray on any of my XM's, they all passed.
98 2.8 Will a split cv boot fail an MOT? - Rattle
It needs replacing anyway because if it leaks you will have problems. It may well pass though it all depends if the MOT inspector notices it.
98 2.8 Will a split cv boot fail an MOT? - Number_Cruncher
will a split (in half) inner cv boot fail an mot?

No, only the outer is tested, but, it's folly to leave it split.

if the engine undertray is part of the mot?

Not specifically. If it's insecure in any way, either mend it properly or take it off before it causes a hazard either to you or other road users.

I notice you're asking about what you can "get away with" which suggests you *might* not be maintaining the car adequately. Please don't cut too many corners!
98 2.8 Will a split cv boot fail an MOT? - dipsomaniac
thanks for the replies. i am going to replace the boot i just thought that due to the age of the car i would put it in for an mot first and then prioritise the ever lengthening list of jobs to do after. i asked about the undertray as it is off at the moment and as it is so ackward to get back on i wanted to mot car and then tackle the jobs i need to do with the tray off.
98 2.8 Will a split cv boot fail an MOT? - Cabusa
No

I had a couple of Sierra 4X4 Estates until last year - they had Eight CV joints over both front and rear transmission which had mostly got split covers, and would have cost a small fortune to replace - so I was advised by super Mech Charlie not to bother, there was plenty of grease left inside.

I fact I ran the better one for another two years with split boots, and it still passed it`s last MOT. And without any mechanical deterioration.

Don`t worry - all that stuff the joints will fail is pink fluffy dice. They will begin to rattle a bit in the end, but so what - it`s an old banger, keep on going to the end of the road, and scrap it when you have to.

AS

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/11/2009 at 00:25

98 2.8 Will a split cv boot fail an MOT? - Simon
A split outer cv boot should fail the MOT by rights, if it doesn't then either your MOT tester is bent or just rubbish at his job. An inner cv boot is not part of the MOT test so if it was split it should not be failed on it.

As for the undertray there is no requirement to have one at all or have it fitted if it was once there. Leave it off if it suits you, it won't be a problem.
98 2.8 Will a split cv boot fail an MOT? - steve is trying
Hi,
Re:- the split CV boot. If it's a quick fix that you're after. clean the boot up well with meths and superglue it. This should get you by long enough until you have time to replace it.
( only the outer boots are covered by the MOT )
All the best
Steve