02 1.6 stalling whilst driving (Automatic) - steve6540
Hi,

I hope someone can help.

I have a problem with my 2002 Focus 1.6 automatic. The vehicle has run fine for years been regularly maintained/serviced etc.

I find i can start the car fine, but after several minutes of driving, the car completely cuts out. I get no warning lights, it just switches off as if you have turned the key to switch it off, the power steering disappears, and the brakes go heavy.

After 30 minutes of being on the roadside, the car usually starts up again and drives.

The only way i have found to keep it going, is when it starts to die, put my foot down on the accelerator, and it will come back to life, but this means flooring it everywhere, and i dont think thats the greatest idea!

The alternator and battery are both brand new, ford dont know how to fix it, and have tried to diagnose by putting a new boot sensro in, which hasnt changed anything.

Any help or advice, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Steve

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/10/2009 at 20:51

02 1.6 stalling whilst driving (Automatic) - bell boy
if ford cant fix a focus then we might as well all go home
anyway take it to a garage that can read and understand fault codes,preferably an independant one that is established
02 1.6 stalling whilst driving (Automatic) - gaving7095

I had very similar issues, thankfully I have a local independant & very reliable garage who diagnosed a faulty PCV (valve) which was £50 to replace & £25 to fit and crankcase ventialtion hose (£15 to source & £25 to diagnose & fit). TOUCH WOOD my issues are over now... The car does seem OK.
It seems I was (hopefully :-)) lucky 'cause both of the above parts were relatively cheap to supply & fix. The faulty PCV should have lit the engine warning light straight away but didn't :-(
From all the reading I did it seems that Ford used slightly "dodgy" hoses throughout the Focus engine - hopefully your issue can be easily found & cheaply fixed!