99 1.8 lack of power - ronsam
what causes a loss in compression, if it is the cylinder head gasket what signs do i have to look for, the cars acceleration has been affected, is there any other reason than the head gasket that can cause this problem. i used to get to 50-60 mph in third gear with no problem now the engine makes a noise like it is protesting.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/10/2009 at 13:31

99 1.8 lack of power - Dynamic Dave
Head gasket failure will mean loss of coolant in the system, or the system being overly pressurised, depending on where the gasket has failed.

Other possible causes of lack of power include burnt out or non sealing valves (a compression check should identify this), choked air filter, poorly maintained engine, binding brakes.

When was the car last serviced?
Any warning lights on the dashboard, eg the ECU light indicating the engine is in limp home mode?
99 1.8 lack of power - ronsam
Thanks for your reply, i will check the water level and the air filter this weekend, by the time i get home from work it will be dark.

I have had the car for about 18 months, up till recently the car was very responsive, i had the oil changed and replaced the air filter about 6 months ago, i have not had the spark plugs changed, i believe they were new when i purchased the car.

I will also check the dash for any warning lights, there was a grating noise coming from the front of the car, it turned out to be inner brake pad wear and sticking caliper, i had the pads and the caliper looked at, this has made not a lot of difference.

could it be ann thing to do with the fuel side of the car

thanks