Dealers lying about timing belts - Rattle
Seen this so many times on ebay when they claim in the advert that a new timing belt has been fitted. One of them is highly amussing its a Metro Vandan Pla with a 1275cc engine. I feel like emailing them asking how is it possible to fit a timing belt to a push rod engine which had a small chain?

I've seen this all the time, my friend nearly bought a Micra from a dealer and he made a point to tell her that he had just fitted a new cam belt on it. She canceled the deal when I found out from HJ's car by car that the engine in that Micra was actually a chain driven one.

If you bought a car from one of these miss leaders I wonder if they could force them to fit a new chain to it?
Dealers lying about timing belts - 659FBE
You would be infinitely better off not letting this type of dealer touch the vehicle.

Most timing belts have lettering printed on the back of the belt and a tensioner wheel usually acts upon this surface. After about 10k miles or so, depending on the make of belt, this lettering becomes obscured - rubbed off by the tensioner wheel. The markings are practically invisible on a belt which is due for changing.

It's usually a simple job to unclip the upper cover and inspect the belt. I would insist on seeing it if a dubious claim had been made.

Dealers lying about timing belts - doctorchris
This could be a real "Lynne Truss" thread.
Dealers, lying about, timing belts!
Which belts are they timing, probably those on their trousers which will exceed 38in, and why are they lying about to time them when the belts can be seen from standing or at least squatting positions.
Of course, if Lynne Truss is involved these guys need something more sturdy than a mere belt!
Dealers lying about timing belts - L'escargot
I can't imagine a reputable dealer advertising their wares on fleabay, so what do you expect?
Dealers lying about timing belts - Alanovich
Reputable franchised dealers use classified (non-auction) ads on eBay. It's quite normal.
Dealers lying about timing belts - bell boy
Reputable franchised dealers use classified (non-auction) ads on eBay. It's quite normal.

>>
>>>>>>>they wouldn't say new "timming " belt fitted if it was a lie though hopefully?------------- so maybe your local independent established car trader is once again the way forward for a good deal, reliability and there when you need him approach?
Dealers lying about timing belts - Ben 10
"best to tell em its scrap and sell them a new tyre"

"so maybe your local independent established car trader is once again the way forward for a good deal, reliability and there when you need him approach?"

As I and others stated on the £10 puncture thread, we do use indies, yet you seemed to think supporting them in this way was a waste of time for the operator. Either you support us supporting you or you don't. You can't have it both ways. If that's the case is your attitude not the same for other repairs?
Seeing your view swing one way then another, I wouldn't trust this kind of business.

Edited by spood on 21/10/2009 at 13:09

Dealers lying about timing belts - Snakey
At a local Vauhall dealer two seperate salesman confidently told me that their 2006 1.6 petrol Astra didn't need a cambelt service as they 'were sure it had a chain'

Not according to HJ's FAQ it doesn't! And its a fairly important question when buying a car these days as you can be looking at a £3-400 bill in your ownership period.
Dealers lying about timing belts - Dynamic Dave
At a local Vauhall dealer two seperate salesman confidently told me that their 2006 1.6
petrol Astra didn't need a cambelt service as they 'were sure it had a chain'

The salesmen are there to sell the car. Most of them have no idea what goes on under the bonnet with the oily bits. That job is left to the mechanics - sorry, technicians as they like to be called these days.