looking for something fun - darrenmc
Hi all I currently have an Audi a3 2.0fsi (04 plate) and I am looking to buy something faster but it must have room for the dog in the boot and my kid in the back. I have test drove Astra VXR (I liked it but other half did not, plus found it too twitchy), Ford Focus ST (other half likes it and it can fit everyone in) I think it is ok. Am going to look at a petrol Ford Mondeo 220 st (I like the look of this). I just don't know what too choose I am flexible and willing to look at alternatives, would like something fast but would like it not to drink too much petrol or diesal. Am looking to pay around thirteen grand and 2006 onwards...

Thanx all for looking.
looking for something fun - zookeeper
have you tried.......looking at yourself?....dog and kid in the back ..nice one
looking for something fun - LikedDrivingOnce
First off, the Mondeo is a great car, and I'm not surprised that anyone includes it on their shortlist. There are alternatives, though.

I would consider a BMW 320d Touring. The engine is quicker than the Ford 220 diesel, and only a couple of clicks slower than the 2.5 Petrol. The fuel economy beats both of the Ford Engines easily. And if you are a keen driver, then you'll love the handling on the BM. Make sure that you can live with the lumpy ride, though.

Auto Trader have several examples on their website for 13K. Mostly 2006 or 2007 models with manual transmission. Go for an SE model, and you'll have all the toys that you need.

You can put the dog in the back, with a dog-guard to keep it safely in the boot (I presume that it won't be any bigger than a Labrador?).

looking for something fun - cheddar
I would consider a BMW 320d Touring. The engine is quicker than the Ford 220
diesel and only a couple of clicks slower than the 2.5 Petrol. The fuel economy
beats both of the Ford Engines easily. >>

Hang on!! - the ST220 is a 220ps 3.0 V6 petrol, thirsty though quick and characterful.

You are thinking of the ST TDCi, 2.2 diesel, more torque than any 320d and matched in power and beaten in economy only by the very latest 320d, i.e. 2008 onwards so IRO £20k.

I agree with the practicality of the touring however.

Here's another idea, X-Type estate, 2.2d or 3.0 V6.
looking for something fun - darrenmc
yep the dog goes in there now and again. Plus at my right old age of 35 the insurance is now affordable. I know they cost a bit to run with the petrol but hey.. The mondeo looked the part and was only ten grand for a 55 plate it had some really nice toys but am gona look round and try a BMW was looking for an A3 Quatro but these are still expensive.