Driving instructors on motorway - piston power
The other day we saw a driving instructors car on the motorway with sign on roof and only driver in car i thought they had to take sign off when on a motorway?

All the lads in car had there own opinion so can you nice people please end this argument?
Driving instructors on motorway - bathtub tom
'L' plates should be covered or removed if a learner isn't driving.

At least that used to be the case.
Driving instructors on motorway - Robin Reliant
Private motorists should remove L plates when a qualified driver is behind the wheel, but professional driving instructors are exempt as the plates can often be permanant fixtures on the car.
Driving instructors on motorway - rtj70
The sign on the roof needs to be removed. When I had a motorway lesson with BSM, we stopped to take the sign off and put it in the boot.
Driving instructors on motorway - Dynamic Dave
The sign on the roof needs to be removed.

Is that just a precaution though to stop it being blown off at high speeds?
Driving instructors on motorway - maz64
Highway code:

[Laws MV(DL)R reg 16 & RTA 1988 sect 87]

Plates should be removed or covered when not being driven by a learner (except on driving school vehicles).
The sign on the roof needs to be removed.

That's because you were driving. Had the instructor been driving it would have been perfectly legal to leave it on (though rather costly as the things make nonsense of your mpg).
Driving instructors on motorway - Bilboman
I always thought these guys' cars could do with some streamlining too:
tinyurl.com/yf4u2so I can't begin to imagine the stability problems at 250 mph with a small brick wall on the roof !
Driving instructors on motorway - DP
Given some of the autobahn speeds I've witnessed, they're going to need something quicker than that! :-)

Heading to Italy on hols last year, somewhere near Stuttgart, we were cruising at about 160 km/h and a 911 of some description came past us like we were sitting at the side of the road. He must have been doing 300-320 km/h. I guess it was a turbo of some description because you could see an orange glow through the rear valance. It also spat fire when he backed off for a slower car way up on the horizon. Reminded me of some Le Mans photos I saw a few years back.

Driving instructors on motorway - Sofa Spud
Quote:...""'L' plates should be covered or removed if a learner isn't driving.""
If only it were possible to obtain easily removable L plates. I'm teaching a teenager to drive (in addition to them having lessons from a qualified instructor). I even bought magnetic L plates because they are easily removable. Guess what? the front one blows off at 30 mph! So the I had to make holes in the Halford's magnetic L plates to tie them to the front grille! Needless to say, we don't remove the plates when we drive the car!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 14/10/2009 at 10:43

Driving instructors on motorway - b308
The poundland magnetic ones we used were fine, SS... perhaps Halfords don't use good magnets... and I had the youngest up to 70 on a dual carriageway at one point!
Driving instructors on motorway - Dwight Van Driver
No such offence as driving a motor vehicle on a Motorway (or other road) that displays L plates when the driver is qualified.

Purely a courtesy thing to remove them if possible.

dvd
Driving instructors on motorway - maz64
No such offence as driving a motor vehicle on a Motorway (or other road) that
displays L plates when the driver is qualified.

How about www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=79233&...e
Does the 'should' mean not mandatory?
Driving instructors on motorway - commerdriver
Does the 'should' mean not mandatory?

I always understood MUST is the key word for mandatory law backed requirements
In Highway Code speak, "Should" is advisory. The heavy stuff is preceeded by "Must".