"Looking at me in a funny way". - bintang
This was the reason a police constable cited when bringing a prosecution, in a Rowan Atkinson sketch. But the Torygraph carries this morning news that we may be prosecuted for sitting in our cars with the engine running.

For male drivers, I feel driving without wearing a necktie is particularly reprehensible.

What other crimes, at present unpunishable, do posters feel should be include in proposed legislation?
"Looking at me in a funny way". - Armstrong Sid
Men brushing and adjusting their hair in the rear view mirror whilst waiting at a red light
"Looking at me in a funny way". - cheddar
"we may be prosecuted for sitting in our cars with the engine running."

Its OK, as long as you moving, as long as you are doing at least 30 mph and not breaking any speed limits you will be alright!
"Looking at me in a funny way". - maz64
What other crimes at present unpunishable do posters feel should be include in proposed legislation?

Mimsing, obviously!
"Looking at me in a funny way". - DP
Being in any lane on a motorway or dual carriageway other than lane 1 unless overtaking. I know it's covered by the Highway Code now, but is completely ignored, and does anyone ever get punished for it? I would also like to see Clarkson's suggested punishment of these imbeciles being "shot in the face" by snipers on motorway bridges ;-) That'll learn 'em.

"Looking at me in a funny way". - maz64
Seeing all these people talking on mobile phones when driving, I think there ought to be a law against that.

;)
"Looking at me in a funny way". - Andrew-T
I think there ought to be a law against that

That has been a comic remark since the war, or maybe earlier. Problem for us is that the present government believes we meant it.
"Looking at me in a funny way". - Peter D
The offence of excess idling was introduced in Scotland last January. This applies to petrol and diesel cars. It is a fineable offence. Regards Peter
"Looking at me in a funny way". - Alanovich
Does it apply to buses and coaches? They often seem to be idling when parked up for far too long.
"Looking at me in a funny way". - Brian Tryzers
Driving with any part of the anatomy protruding from the driver's window. This to apply only to human anatomy; black-and-white dogs, on the contrary, should be encouraged to travel with their head out of the window because it always makes me smile to see one.
"Looking at me in a funny way". - Optimist
I've posted before about the fascinating edition of Car Wars or somesuch in which a surreal conversation between a copper and a lorry driver seemed to be heading towards the copper trying to charge him with the offence of smirking while not wearing a seat belt.

"Looking at me in a funny way". - Harleyman
The offence of excess idling was introduced in Scotland last January.

Is this anything to do with reports of expansion in the Scottish public sector? ;-)
"Looking at me in a funny way". - datostar
>> The offence of excess idling was introduced in Scotland last January.
Is this anything to do with reports of expansion in the Scottish public sector? ;-)

Definitely. Note that the offence is 'excess' idling, though, implying that a certain amount of idling is acceptable. Perhaps 'excess' idling will be judged in the same way as 'excessive' wear on components by an MOT Tester. i.e. a matter of opinion. This will merit the recruitment of Idling Inspectors, hence the reported expansion in the public sector you mention. I noticed some Council workmen idling in the vicinity of a litter bin the other day, but I'm not qualified to say whether their idling was excessive.
"Looking at me in a funny way". - Mick Snutz
This was the reason a police constable cited when bringing a prosecution in a Rowan Atkinson sketch

Yes it was 'Constable Savage'.
Didn't he arrest someone for urinating...in a public convenience?

I think thumping car hi-fi's should be banned. Yes I know there are probably local noise abatement byelaws covering it but by the time a car has driven past and your double glazing has rattled loose of its frame its usually too late.
"Looking at me in a funny way". - rory
MS: I was having quite a chuckle until I noticed the apostrophe in hi-fi's
"Looking at me in a funny way". - malteser
Picking one's nose?
"Looking at me in a funny way". - boxsterboy
Picking one's nose?

But what else is one supposed to do when stuck in a tedious traffic jam??
"Looking at me in a funny way". - barney100
Picking ones own nose is fineable but what about someone elses nose? thats worth 3 points.
"Looking at me in a funny way". - Mick Snutz
Oh my. What a catastrophe!

;-)
"Looking at me in a funny way". - 1400ted
Accelerating up towards the speed limit..........attempted speeding ?
Slowing down where there are double yellow lines........attempted parking ?

Big fine, lots of points and car seized and crushed, that should get loads of them off the road !

Ted
Edit..Surely picking ones nose with intent is more serious...or in a caravan if you don't like camping.

I'll get me coat.

Edited by 1400ted on 09/10/2009 at 00:21

"Looking at me in a funny way". - Bilboman
Getting in my way. Not realising one is in my way. Realising one is in my way and failing to get out of my way.
Suggested penalties in order of severity: A good smack across the chops with a wet fish. 100 lashes. Guillotine.
"Looking at me in a funny way". - diddy1234
getting nicked for being ugly. he he
"Looking at me in a funny way". - Robin Reliant
Going equipped for speeding.
"Looking at me in a funny way". - retgwte
cops already can arrest you for no reason at all by using one of the "catch all" offences, such as obstruction - which you commit simply by being on the highway, and now and again folk also get prosecuted for such mubo jumbo

if youre driving its even easier, you were doing 31 in a 30 wernt you

you didnt have your licence with you so you were arrested over the weekend while they checked who you were, even if theyve nicked you 20 times before

cops are cunning, al capone got locked up for tax evasion not running a gangster mob and similar tactics are sometimes used here and now

"Looking at me in a funny way". - stunorthants26
Those people who have 'spinner' alloys - I saw an older Merc S-Class with these the other day and not only did it look quite silly ( actually extremely silly ), but the guy driving it couldnt have looked more like a drug dealer if he had tried ( not to mention he had limo tint windows on the front side windows so rather illegal before you go through his pockets! ).
"Looking at me in a funny way". - zookeeper
hasnt sneezing more or less been proved to be driving without due care and attention?
"Looking at me in a funny way". - bintang
I wonder if anyone can sneeze and see at the same time? I can't, and once had to pull over and rest for 30 mins to get over an attack.
"Looking at me in a funny way". - Westpig
hasnt sneezing more or less been proved to be driving without due care and attention?

No, not sneezing, it's an automatic reflex action, see below for the defences:

The Road Traffic Act 1988 provides certain defences to the offences of dangerous driving under section 2 and careless or inconsiderate driving under section 3 of the Act.

The defences are:
1 Automatism;

2 Unconsciousness / Sudden illness

For which the driver was in no way to blame; being rendered unconscious or otherwise prevented from controlling the vehicle. This could be due to a blow on the head from a stone which renders the driver unconscious, and could extend to a sudden epileptic fit or similar loss of consciousness;

3 Duress;

4 Sudden Mechanical Defect;

5 Assisting in the arrest of offenders

A driver may have a defence if his driving, though dangerous, constituted reasonable force for the purpose of assisting in the arrest of an offender. In R v Renouf [1986] 2 AllER 449, the Court of Appeal stated that this defence should have been left to the jury in circumstances in which the defendant had edged off the road a car containing persons who had committed an arrestable offence (ie one for which there is a sentence of imprisonment of 5 years or more (the term arrestable offence no longer exist as of 01/01/06 ) in order to enable the police to arrest them;

6 Authorised motoring event.

Edited by Westpig on 09/10/2009 at 20:15

"Looking at me in a funny way". - Altea Ego
vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individ...4