Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - maz64
I go into a thread, and it comes up pretty quickly, but within a second or 2 Firefox 'locks up' for a number of seconds - between 5 and 10 I would guess. This isn't every time - I haven't spotted a pattern, but it's often enough for me to have noticed it and for it to be annoying. It only seems to have started happening recently, perhaps this week.

I'm running FF 3.0.14 under Linux (CentOS 5) - I know there's a FF 3.5, but I'm on a work laptop and if I want support from the IT department I can only install official CentOS updates; 3.0.14 is the current release.

During the lock-up, the top command shows that Firefox is using >90% of the CPU (hence the apparent lock-up), although I don't know what it's doing. The status bar just says 'Done' - nothing about loading an advert etc.

I've also been seeing this when posting a reply - I hit the 'quote original message' (or whatever it's called) button, then start deleting part of the quoted message, and it locks up.

Anyone else experiencing this, either on FF/Linux or anything else?
Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - cheddar
IE8, site very slow last night, I use Firefox and Opera on occasions though prefer IE for general browsing.

Had not been on here really for six months or more until a couple of weeks ago and it is still the same as before, regular go-slows, flash issues it seems. Dont have the problem with other sites.
Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - andyp
I was having this problem using FF on my laptop last night, no problem today though using FF on my work PC !
Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - FotheringtonThomas
Nope, but I'm using the latest version.
Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - Stuartli
No problems here with the latest version (3.5.3).
Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - terryb
I wish to be associated with the comments of the previous speaker. FF3.5.3 on WinXPPro.
Terryb
Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - Rattle
For me the site has just been very slow at times almost like the database server cannot handle all the SQL requests its getting :(.
Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - Altea Ego
I dont know of any other web site, that crams so many adds from so many varied and uncontrolled add servers onto a single page, a large number being flash adds as well. It will always cause problems
It will always cause problems

I've had problems in the past while FF attempts to load one of the ads, but then you can see the URL it's having trouble with in the FF status bar at the bottom. With this issue, the status bar just says 'Done', and the page appears to load ok, so I'm reluctant to blame the ads.
Firefox downloads HJ pages in little more than the blink of an eyelid in my case (V3.5.3).
Firefox downloads HJ pages in little more than the blink of an eyelid in my
case (V3.5.3).

It's not the downloading - it's something that happens after it's downloaded.
Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - RichardS
I use NoScript in Firefox to selectively enable/disable sites from using Javascript and I've never experienced a problem with HJ while using NoScript so maybe that might be worth giving a try if you don't already?
I use NoScript in Firefox

I'll give that a go, thanks.
>>it's something that happens after it's downloaded.>>

I just carry on reading the threads or posting - no delays in any area.

Posting a message and waiting to see it appear takes about two seconds.

Make that three seconds...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 07/10/2009 at 16:19

Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - jc2
What's this horrible black thing that appears??? but not on any other site.
Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - mike hannon
Firefox 3.5.3 with Mac OS X Tiger. No problems but I get an occasional ad pop up lately even though the pop-up blocker is on.
Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - rtj70
They might be "pop-unders" but logged this with the site admin/owners to sort this. We'll all turn off all ads and the site will then have no income and no more forum.
Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - Rattle
It seems to be working perfectly at the moment :).
Site issue - Firefox temp locking up, anyone else? - rtj70
But is anyone seeing Shockwave Flash ads in the forum at the moment.... I suspect not.

EDIT: And I'm seeing page load times of up to 10 seconds. Without the Shockwave Flash adverts.

Edited by rtj70 on 07/10/2009 at 20:09