car factors spares mountains - bell boy
as ive been saying and always disagreed on hj about ,the truth is now coming out how this scrappage is ruining everything but the fat cat large dealers backed by manufacturers or small outfits selling cheap cars like hyundais
read the link
tinyurl.com/yerzje3
you read it from me first
car factors spares mountains - Andrew-T
Usual thing - someone has an obvious idea, but no-one (intelligent) thinks it through. It's called the Law of Unintended Consequences.
car factors spares mountains - cheddar
Tis daft though now the Sun have backed the other lot Down and Bawling's ideas are not long for this world.
car factors spares mountains - Chris M
And the news item on this site "Scrapage Making Life Harder For Young Drivers" - it's so obvious this would happen, it's not news at all.

When the scheme first started I was at a Fiat dealer when a chap arrived with a Peugeot 106 to collect his new car. Got into a brief chat with him and he admitted there was nothing wrong with the car, but he wasn't going to miss the opportunity of a Panda for £5k. The 106 would have been perfect for a 17 year old.

Perhaps even more teenagers will be driving without insurance over the coming years?
car factors spares mountains - daveyjp
My local mechanic has just closed shop. He made his money keeping bangers going and if he couldn't keep them going he'd have a few older cars for sale, mostly less than £1500 which he picked up from local dealers who'd taken them as trade ins.

Most of his customers were in no position to buy a new car and some simply didn't want to. They were quite happy buying a car off him, taking it for a service a couple of times until it died then simply buying another off him.

His supply of cheap trade ins has gone completely, but what guts him is he knows there are still plenty of cars being scrapped which have thousands of miles in them. He knows one dealer who took a 10 year old Fiesta on scrappage with just 30,000 on the clock - an ideal first car for someone, but now destined to be crushed - madness.

car factors spares mountains - sierraman
On the other hand...tinyurl.com/yemfkow
car factors spares mountains - Bill Payer
I wonder what the effect has been in Germany - they've moved 2 million, 10x the number of cars that we've done, through scrappage?
car factors spares mountains - perro
>>> I wonder what the effect has been in Germany <<<

I'll wager they'll purchase mainly German cars, unlike the stupid Brits.

When I was mobile tuning in London, most of the cars were the older stuff, when I re-located to E. Sussex it was still the older stuff, but older!
So, I can sympathize with the small garage owner + the many motor factors.
When ya think about, its criminal to have scrapped so many fairly decent cars - what a waste!
car factors spares mountains - gmac
I wonder what the effect has been in Germany

www.motor-trade-insider.com/index.php/2009/08/germ...o
be-into-scrappage-fraud/
car factors spares mountains - perro
Re: motor-trade-insider.com

From the same site ~ tinyurl.com/yakmltp
car factors spares mountains - idle_chatterer
Re: motor-trade-insider.com
From the same site ~ tinyurl.com/yakmltp

Interesting quote in this "?People know it?s steroids, it?s not real,? Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas said. ?It?s pleasure upfront with the pain coming next year.? In the absence of strong incentives, unit volume in Germany in May 2010 could be down as much as 30 percent year on year, he said"

We would have changed SWMBO's car around now, it's less than 3 years old, very low mileage and perfectly functional so it's pure vanity to do so I'd admit. However we won't - because we aren't eligible for scrappage and car prices have increased so dramatically over the past 12 months due to exchange rates that I can no longer see the value (utility in economic terms) of the purchase. Maybe when the scappage scheme ends then manufacturers will do something to attract people like us back into the market, however will the structural problems (over capacity, saturated/shrinking market) have been addressed whilst scrappage schemes and the like gave them 'breathing space' ? I doubt it.

I'd observe that our local non-franchise garages seem to be doing very well on 3 to 10 year old cars where owners are avoiding the high prices discussed elsewhere on this forum.
car factors spares mountains - Bill Payer
Maybe when the scappage scheme ends then manufacturers will do something to attract >> people like us back into the market

I was thinking that too. We did change one of our cars this year - 6yr old Jazz for a new one, but I would like to help my daughter change her 5yr old SEAT Ibiza but was getting pretty poor p/x indications (not much above scrappage). She's quite keen on Fiesta and the cost to change looks absurd.

I think emotionally, I feel miffed that her car, at 5yrs/40K miles and in pretty good nick, is only worth marginally more than scrap value.
car factors spares mountains - Chris M
Sierraman, The VBRA represents a different part of the market and could well benefit from newer cars being on our roads. Body repair shops tend to be bigger businesses than your local indy mechanic.

Edited by Chris M on 30/09/2009 at 13:38

car factors spares mountains??? - Chas{P}
Not sure what Cat Magazine are on about.

This year the company I work for supplying motor factors has hit target every month this year and sales are ahead of last year. This is a similar experience with other companies I work with so the aftermarket is generally healthy despite the state of the economy.
car factors spares mountains??? - bell boy
Chas{P} please re read my link
oh and congratulations on exceeding targets for your business (disc manufacturer perhaps?)
car factors spares mountains??? - jbif
bell boy said: >>"you read it from me first" >>

Not true. You read it from me first - see
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=77520&...e
" ... negative effect on the independent traders and garages that used to survive on business from selling/servicing/repairing 10-years plus older cars... "

car factors spares mountains??? - jc2
There were never many old cars to be seen in Germany;most were taken "home" by the "gastarbeiter"-foreign workers-mainly Turkish.
car factors spares mountains??? - Bill Payer
There were never many old cars to be seen in Germany...

Well, 2M were found from somewhere to chopped in as clunkers.
car factors spares mountains??? - Chas{P}
Not a manufacturer, but distribute 24 different product ranges.

Re-read the article and if that distributor has up to date vehicle population stats and can manage his product ranges effectively then his obsolete stock should be minimised. That trade magazine is full of aftermarket doom mongers harking back to the good old days that I find hard to recall in the 21 years I've been in the motor industry. It's been hard work all the way.
if I ring my factor up for lets say a wishbone for a mk4 fiesta with power steering i would expect him to have one in stock
however if 400,000 10 year and older cars are being scrapped what percentage of that number is indeed a mk4 fiesta?
so what you are actually saying is dump something like this arm as the market has gone/diminished as there are now x less of these on the road
why not just make anything over 10 years old not allowed on our roads?
oh-the govt mentioned this a few years ago didnt they
fast moving lines only dont make a factor,depth of stock makes them and woe betite the ones that dont stock moving depth
theres more to fast movers than to just sell car smellies and pink fluffy seatcovers?

car factors spares mountains??? - Ben 10
Surely the scrap yards are full of stock controlled parts that you need having been removed from these wrecks as part of being scrapped.
car factors spares mountains??? - the swiss tony
Surely the scrap yards are full of stock controlled parts that you need having been
removed from these wrecks as part of being scrapped.

Alas... No, due in part to the amount of scrappage vehicles, the dismantlers are unable to keep up, so many cars are just getting crushed.
you cant get many decent 2nd hand parts of a cube of scrap......
Well, more fool the dismantlers. There's brass in that muck!
spood my local end of life centre have a backlog of cars that need decontaminating and crushing,if you post your address up and how much room you have spare on your lawn (only 3 high mind thats the law) i can tell my local man he can drop some off with you and you can have anything you want apart from the cats and batteries.deal?
:-)
Surely they could be dropped off at local comprehensives near you and let the teenagers who complain they have nuffing to do, could be employed to strip the surplus down. Kill two birds and all that ;-)
car factors spares mountains??? - Harleyman
All these 10 year old "bangers" might indeed be good for a few more years, but people are no more going to buy them instead of a new one than they would buy a second-hand tube-type telly if there's a cheap flatscreen available; especially given the financial incentives like cheap tax.

Perhaps we need to stop kidding ourselves that cars are any different to other consumer items like fridges, washing machines and even computers. With the possible exception of the latter, there are still old 'uns doing good service (a parallel to the banger or even classic movement) but the majority get recycled before they're completely beyond repair, mainly for reasons of perceived savings due to higher efficiency; it's becoming no different with cars.

Edited by Harleyman on 01/10/2009 at 00:36

car factors spares mountains??? - the swiss tony
All these 10 year old "bangers" might indeed be good for a few more years
but people are no more going to buy them instead of a new one than
they would buy a second-hand tube-type telly if there's a cheap flatscreen available; especially given the financial incentives like cheap tax.

Sorry, but your soo wrong!
many people who buy the old bangers do so because they either cant, or wont, take out a loan..
then there is the financial losses in buying a new car, the depreciation for one, and the costs of servicing for another.
Plus in my case, there inst one car on the market today, Id want to buy!
right now, Im struggling to think what I may want in 5-10 years as my 'banger' and drawing a blank.
I wouldnt have a CR diesel if you paid me, all cars have far too many expensive electronics that will be going wrong by then (if not now!) and IMO most current cars are ugly!

Perhaps we need to stop kidding ourselves that cars are any different to other consumer
items like fridges washing machines and even computers.

you lost me there!
whens the last time you had a service done on your fridge or washing machine?
Ill agree that cars todays are bland and boring, like a washing machine, but I dont think thats what you meant!
car factors spares mountains??? - Nickdm
There are plenty of cars on the road down here in NZ that are over 10 years old and still providing good service. Most are kept in good nick and seeing as the average annual mileage here is something around 8000 miles/year they'll be good for at least 12+ years I imagine. Loads of local independent service outlets are ticking over nicely.

Many such cars still fetch a couple of grand (pounds) or more when for sale too. It's a very healthy used car market, and nobody is indebting themselves to get the latest plate or latest model. Very refreshing. Scrapping a 10 year old car just because it's 10 years old seems madness!
car factors spares mountains??? - perro
>>>many people who buy the old bangers do so because they either cant, or wont, take out a loan..
then there is the financial losses in buying a new car, the depreciation for one, and the costs of servicing for another.<<<

And with an older car, ya can just have TPF&T insurance.
Buyers of new cars will more or less be tied to the pain dealer for servicing - my Nissan dealer wants £80 just to change the oil on my Almera :-D
Yes, most cars are boring these days IMO, take the Focus - great car and all that but, boring as ****
Perhaps the answer (for some) is to buy a classic like the ole Borgward I posted earlier - depreciation = nil.
car factors spares mountains??? - gmac
my Nissan dealer wants £80 just to change the oil on my Almera
:-D

I don't have a Costco or whatever card, I am not in the trade so I am pretty much at the mercy of the high street. I can't even buy the oil the manufacturer of my car recommends for £80.
In the UK it would cost me over £100 just to get the filter, oil and crush washer to do it myself so paying the main dealer half an hours labour and disposing of over six litres of used engine oil for me is no real pain.
Yes, the dealership will get the oil cheaper and make more of a margin on it but I don't have access to his supplier.
>>>I can't even buy the oil the manufacturer of my car recommends for £80.<<<

Maybe I'm just living in the past? I wouldn't use any old oil btw - only The Best! + a genuine oil filter.
car factors spares mountains??? - b308
No doubt BB will be pleased that they have extended the scheme with another £100 mil!! Not!

I agree with BB, I don't like the scheme at all... but if it was to make sense then they should have done a sliding scale of payments dependant on where the car was built... max for UK, 50% less for EU and 75% less for outside the EU, at least that way home manufcaturers and those we trade with the most would have been the main beneficiaries.... Oh, and exclude all cars over 20 years old to prevent rare cars being scrapped...
>>>but if it was to make sense then they should have done a sliding scale of payments dependant on where the car was built...<<<

Make sense! come, come now - you surely don't mean that do you?
And anyway, that would whiff of protection-ism & we can't be aving any of that now can we - now that we all Europeans :(
car factors spares mountains??? - b308
The French do it all the time... its about time we did...
>>>The French do it all the time... its about time we did... <<<

I wholeheartedly agree! This country is in a 2 and 8 m8 - the likes of which will be revealed in the coming year or so, so NOW is the time to support British workers, that's you & me!
Talking protecting your markets ,i wonder how many people on here are aware that the president of the usa put a 35 per cent additional import duty on Chinese tyres 3 weeks ago . He didnt do that without good reason did he,i see dumping tyres the same as dumping £5000 cars