Sensible Policing.... - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Ok, it's not catching burglars, but it is a step in the right direction for motorists!

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2280518.stm
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Sensible Policing.... - Ian (Cape Town)
"According to the force, research has shown excess speed is only one of a number of factors contributing to accidents.

"As a result, Surrey police decided to invest in alerting drivers to the risks of collisions rather than relying on speed cameras."

Somebody has their thinking-cap on...

Sensible Policing.... - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
"Somebody has their thinking-cap on..."

Yes, that's good, but we'll get nowhere until we're able to sideline certain civil servants and career senior police officers, whose motivation is getting themselves noticed and/or control freakery.

I know these things...............
Sensible Policing.... - Cyd
No doubt Chief Superintendent Bill Harding will be getting the sack soon once his tactics start to work. He'll follow that police chief from Middlesborough (forget his name - the zero tolerance chap) down to the dole queue.

Can't have the police solving crime and reducing road accidents now can we?
Sensible Policing.... - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
"No doubt Chief Superintendent Bill Harding will be getting the sack soon once his tactics start to work. He'll follow that police chief from Middlesborough (forget his name - the zero tolerance chap) down to the dole queue.
Can't have the police solving crime and reducing road accidents now can we?"

I believe he's been elected mayor now. Did you know he was appointed by none other than Chief Con Richard Brunstrom, in an uncharacteristic flash of lucidity? Brun was Ass Chief Con at the time, hunting for a Chief Conship by being controversial and shouting for the legalisation of all drugs. That won him the Chief Conship of North Wales, where he needed another bandwagon to drive him on to dizzier heights.........enter the tax camera, stage left.

Incidentally, Brun was heard to say "you keep speeding, and I'll be doing business with you."

Is that a threat, or is he open to bribes?
Sensible Policing.... - Dwight Van Driver
Sorry to be sceptical but the showing of photographs is as much good as a one legged man at a backside kicking contest.
With all the blood and gore on TV News etc and documentaries we have become immune to death and the horrors of a serious injury RTA.

Remember in the 60's when Traffic Divisions were somewhat healthy, research showed that a parked marked Traffic car affected driver behaviour some 4 to 5 miles down the road after passing, then drivers were back to their old habits. Same research repeated in the 80's distance had gone down to under half a mile.

DVD
Sorry to be sceptical but the showing of photographs is as
much good as a one legged man at a backside kicking
contest.

You'd be suprised. A mate gave up biking after bein shown a few snaps by a rozzer who pulled him for speeding.

Which suggests it's not a new idea.

While we're on this thread DVD I was out with Rosper on Sunday morning. One of the things that got mentioned [1] was that I took bad lines round corners where there were leaves drying on the road. His argument was that dry leaves weren't slippy.

While I shall be ignoring that paticular bit of advice is it considered safe to give it some beans on leaves if a) there not too thick and b) they're dry.

[1] Apart from my obvious talent. ;-)
--
Sensible Policing.... - Dwight Van Driver
If leaves on the line can Kernack Her railway engines then think what they can do to wheels. I'm with you as you cannot see the damp trapped underneath can you?
Unless of course he was trying to tell you you were driving in the gutter?

DVD.
If leaves on the line can Kernack Her railway engines then
think what they can do to wheels. I'm with you as
you cannot see the damp trapped underneath can you?
Unless of course he was trying to tell you you were
driving in the gutter?

He was telling me to get further onto the nearside more of the way round. He reckoned I was going in wide enough but then turning in way too soon.

I accept this but the more extreme examples were because of leaves.

I'm not slagging the guy off. Most of his advice was 100 per cent relevant and his choice of roads was excellent. He even realised that I was going much slower than normal and suggested I ride at my normal pace. [2] His analysis of my riding was far more considered than my own. In fact I wonder if anyone can truely assess themselves? Reminds me - I need to get hold of a copy of Roadcraft.

[1] Telling is way to strong - he politely offered some food for thought.
[2] Imagine my disapointment when the old git on a BMW tourer was able to keep up when I hotted up the pace...

--