People carrier recommendation - Optimist
My bil is looking to change his Mitsubishi something or other people carrier, and wants to replace it with one of about the same size with much the same loadspace (rear seats flattened) and lowish rear access for ease of loading.

He bought new last time but might consider a recent low mileage used.

Something with 2 or 4WD might be useful.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
People carrier recommendation - Brian Tryzers
I recommend a piece of string, about - ooh, let's see - this long.

Come on, Opti, give us something to work with! The closest you get to precision is 'lowish'. Beyond that, BiL wants some load space and some driven wheels. Can you at least find out exactly what he has now?
}:---)
OK. Point taken. He's got a Mitsubishi Spacestar. Link below goes to an image:

tinyurl.com/mmyfxb

As you can see, the rear lip is quite close to the ground and needs to be because he shifts fairly heavy gear, amplifiers and so on.

There's plenty of room inside for 5 adults and with the rear seats folded there's a large load carrying area.

I stuck in the 2/4WD because he sometimes has to be on less than perfect surfaces.

What I forgot to mention before is that it must be an auto.

People carrier recommendation - NowWheels
As you can see the rear lip is quite close to the ground and needs
to be because he shifts fairly heavy gear amplifiers and so on.
There's plenty of room inside for 5 adults and with the rear seats folded there's
a large load carrying area.

If that's the requirement, then an estate car may be best, because in general the estate car is long but the people carrier is high ... so in theory the estate car will have more load area, even though the people carrier may have more load volume. So I think that an estate should usually be better at carrying the gear unless he is prepared to pile gear up on top of itself (possibly higher than the rear seat back, which is dangerous unless there is some sort of guard to stop stuff flying forwards).

It may be worth taking a look at a Vauxhall Vectra estate. Tons of room in the rear seat for large adults (because the wheelbase is longer than in the saloon or hatch), and a pretty big boot.

I was going to suggest a double-cab Transit van (five big seats and a huge load area), but I doubt there's an automatic available.
People carrier recommendation - boxsterboy
Something with 2 or 4WD might be useful.

Indeed it would. How many cars don't have either 2 or 4WD??
To spell it out: a switchable 2/4WD might be useful.

Thanks for replies so far. I'm really just trying to move this back up the pile.

Edited by Optimist on 07/09/2009 at 18:02

People carrier recommendation - RaineMan

My suggestion would be a two or three year old Mercedes E Class. About £20k will get one thats done 40 - 50k miles. RWD to0.
People carrier recommendation - LikedDrivingOnce
My suggestion would be a two or three year old Mercedes E Class. About £20k
will get one thats done 40 - 50k miles. RWD to0.

Alternately he could save himself £5000 and get the Vauxhall Vectra as suggested by NowWheels upthread. For 15k he gets a practically new car with masses of equipment.

I think the OP may be wary of RWD, if he is thinking about switchable 2/4WD. The Vectra is Front Wheel Drive, of course.
People carrier recommendation - NowWheels
Alternately he could save himself £5000 and get the Vauxhall Vectra as suggested by NowWheels
upthread. For 15k he gets a practically new car with masses of equipment.

Or £11,500 for a 1yo model on autotrader: search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/advert.acti...6
People carrier recommendation - AlastairW
If he is a Mitsubishi fan, why not try a Grandis. More car like than the average MPV, but might be hard to find secondhand.
People carrier recommendation - guygamps
definately vote for a Grandis

See

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=48948&...f

have a few negatives now we have had it 30 months

Roadholding , VERY sensitive to wrong tyre pressures, slightly off tracking, and at its best and bit loose, can swerve, weave, tramline. Better on smaller wheels (We have the Warrior on huge wheels)

Middle row folding out the way, well it doesn't really.

Middle row sliding forwards for access to back row, doesn't always snap back in to place properly and slides back/forth as you drive

Radio - sounds tinny - pretty awful really

But all the reasons we chose it over the others still stand - read the thread

Guy
People carrier recommendation - gordonbennet
Roadholding VERY sensitive to wrong tyre pressures slightly off tracking and at its best and
bit loose can swerve weave tramline.

I remember the thread concerning that problem Guy, i thought the Vred tyres had seen that problem cured, did it return or not ever fully go away?
People carrier recommendation - barneybear
Might not fit your BiL 100%, but I have Grand Espace and its HUGE. I shift music stuff once a month and ferry loads of kids (brownies/guides etc) from time to time. SOOOO comfy and all the toys too. New was £25k, but on an 06 under £10 and just manages 40mpg on a run. I've found low down pulling power suffcient to cope with damp grass at open air gigs.
Also have Megan Estate, which as others point out estares can pack a huge amount. Not the same high up seating position, but at 55mpg is great on the wallet.
Both of mine for sale as I want to buy new, and both very good NCAP results.