Does red paint still fade? - golfplus
I am thinking of buying a new red (non-metallic) Audi A4.

The paint on the last red car we owned, a 1995 red Fiesta, faded badly and I see lost of older cars with faded red paint.

Any views on red paint being used on new cars now - will it still ffffade away?

GP
Does red paint still fade? - L'escargot
My July 2003 Colorado Red Focus isn't showing any signs of fading.
Does red paint still fade? - Pat L
I don't think you'll have a problem with Audi solid red. There's an X reg A4 round here with almost the same reg as my own black A4 and it looked nice and shiny last time I saw it.

If you wash and wax it regularly the paint won't fade much. However, I can understand your concern based on some of the 'pink' Fiestas and Corsas that seem quite common!

And red is a nice colour for the A4. As I said recently on another thread I'm not sure metallic/pearl paint is worth the extra, and it doesn't look as shiny as solid when polished.

hth
Pat
Does red paint still fade? - AlastairW
I have the same colour Mr Snail, but mine is now fully 9 years old, and no sign of fading. I do use that coloured polish once a year, though.
Does red paint still fade? - TheOilBurner
I think even on non-metallics they put lacquer coats on now, I reckon that might help with the fading issue.
Does red paint still fade? - Robin Reliant
My '96 Mondeo (solid red) still shines up like new when I (rarely) wash it.
Does red paint still fade? - schneip
I think even on non-metallics they put lacquer coats on now I reckon that might
help with the fading issue.

=) We've got a 2003 bright red Daewoo Kalos in the family that's not been polished for years and it looks superb. I've seen another with faded door mirrors though, but that's all. We're convinced ours has a lacquer coating and have seen the odd red Astra and Corsa of the same age that have gone a nasty Pink colour. The red Fiesta we replaced with the Kalos left loads of paint on the polish cloth, but the Daewoo has never left anything.
Does red paint still fade? - Simon
>>The red Fiesta we replaced with the Kalos left loads of paint on the polish cloth, but
>>the Daewoo has never left anything.

There is your answer. If a red car leaves the polishing cloth red then the paint is Direct Gloss, if it leaves it with no colouring then it is Basecoat & Lacquer. Most (if not all) new vehicles these days will be Basecoat & lacquer.
Does red paint still fade? - legacylad
My maroon '97 VW Transporter had turned a fetching shade of pink when I sold it 2 years ago. It was still sooo reliable though!
Does red paint still fade? - Miller
Vauxhalls are chronic for fading red paint. 04 reg Corsa near me is salmon pink on top.
Does red paint still fade? - retgwte
still reliably informed by a chemist friend that they cannot make fade free solid red paint without lead, and since lead was banned a few years ago pink is the way it will still go

COB (clear over base) as the clear coating is called is often added on top of solid paint now, in the old days they only ever put it on metalics, which helps delay it for a while as the clear layer can have anti ultraviolet properties and delay fade of paint underneath

Does red paint still fade? - MikeTorque
COB also helps reduce/stop scratches when a car is washed.

The Audi A4 red is a superb colour, I'd choose it for sure if I had an Audi.
Does red paint still fade? - stjarna
Odd - my father in law just got rid of his old 2001 Astra (solid red) for a new (sigh) solid red Astra, and the paintwork was just as good as new.
Does red paint still fade? - mlj
Had two red cars and, as has been implied, if you wash and wax regularly, red stays red.