backroom site unstable? - [Read Only] - P.Mason {P}
Over the past few days I've experienced problems with the site- when selecting posts the internet connection shuts down and I'm back on the desktop. Anyone else having this happen?
P.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/09/2009 at 11:28

backroom site unstable? - alfatrike
it's been a bit 'lumpy' now and then but that might just be high user numbers.
backroom site unstable? - J1mbo
I get IE hanging for about a minute each time i visit the site. Seems to be one of the ads taking its time.
backroom site unstable? - Martin Devon
I get IE hanging for about a minute each time i visit the site. Seems
to be one of the ads taking its time.

That'll be ADam then.
backroom site unstable? - J1mbo
Whos Adam?
backroom site unstable? - mfarrow
Whos Adam?

Adski of course !!! ;)
HJ Site - Pop Up madness! - tack
Currently being driven bonkers by pop up pages for compare car insurance and instant compensation. Am using firefox and it seems unable to block them. If I so much as look at the site, or even think about it let alone mouse click anywhere.......up they pop. There are 1/2 dozen of them, evil scum, lurking. Oops, here's another one.

Any ideas? My forefox is set to block ALL pop ups.

Cheers
HJ Site - Pop Up madness! - L'escargot
My forefox is set to block ALL pop ups.

Your forefox is obviously not as good as it claims.
;-)
HJ Site - Pop Up madness! - maz64
Any ideas? My forefox is set to block ALL pop ups.

The box is definitely still ticked? Nothing in the exceptions list?

As a temporary solution, perhaps you could try the Adblock Plus addon:
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
HJ Site - Pop Up madness! - ForumNeedsModerating
Not noticed any 'instability' - except my own occasionally (..Nurse! where's my tablet..!)

Obvioulsy HJ has to earn the rent here, so could we all just pretend we don't have ad-blockers etc - otherwise his sponsors might get message that renting ad-space is pointless; then where would we be?

Personally, I quite enjoy the game of space inavders shooting the blighters down!
HJ Site - Pop Up madness! - Dynamic Dave
A reminder from the "Welcome to The Backroom. Please Read" sticky:-

POP UPS AND ADVERTISING

By all means if one is giving you technical or usability problems, then mention it. Sometimes they are troublesome and we don't always know.

If you have a problem with them, such as making your system crash, please don't moan in the forums. Instead, e-mail directly to Honest John at letters@honestjohn.co.uk or moderators@honestjohn.co.uk and one of us will refer your e-mail on to the media agency in the hope something can be done to fix the problem.

I suspect it's an incompatibly issue with an advert requiring Adobe Flash. What can happen is it's tested on the latest browsers for stability, but not on older versions.

I'll pass this onto the relevant person(s) to investigate.

Thanks, DD.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/09/2009 at 11:34