CR-V Revision Due 17 Sep 09 - DedRinger
Honda has published a picture of a facelifted CR-V, details of which are to be announced on 17th September, the first day of the Frankfurt Motor Show. See here:
www.honda.co.jp/CR-V/catalog/

So far there's no information about specification changes, although there is gossip about the i-DTEC diesel engine, automatic transmission for the diesel and a rear facing camera that doesn't rely on the navigation/hands free phone option.
CR-V Revision Due 17 Sep 09 - bell boy
We apologize for limiting this catalogue supply service to JAPANESE addresses only.
Thank you for your understanding.
CR-V Revision Due 17 Sep 09 - Bill Payer
I read somewhere that the changes are so minor Honda isn't even going to show the facelifted car in Frankfurt.

I'm sure a diesel auto CRV would be extremely popular, and it was suggested that the 2010 CRV would be launched in the US with the 2.2 diesel engine and, being the US, it would have to be auto. However all seems to have gone quiet on that front.
CR-V Revision Due 17 Sep 09 - Pugugly
There's a shedload of lhd ones unsold - the Russian consignment that never got as far as Southampton.
CR-V Revision Due 17 Sep 09 - nortones2
The conventional auto version of the diesel must waste quite a bit of fuel! 2.0 V-Matic Multidrive 37.66 combined, 2.2 slushbox auto diesel 39.23, 2.2 manual diesel 48.7. CO2: 177, 189, 154, in the same order. Assuming Toyota figures are of the same new model.
CR-V Revision Due 17 Sep 09 - Brentus
I think you will be correct about the dtec engine. Due to fact current cdti is not euro v compliant on emmissions.
HJ
The dreaded DPF, that's what i think. I have heard many bad tales of these. The new CRV will have the new dtec engine that is now in the Accord, its got to have it to make it euro v compliant. Yesterday when at Honda dealer sorting a few things out. I mentioned to the tech all your troubles will come when , the DPF's filter into all the diesal engines and the fact they arent being re energised. The Tech said '' not had any problems as yet with Accord''. early days i said. The tech said they can re generate on the service. I thought to my self how many will be driven around just round town and not re generated before next service is due. Nissan as all us backroomers know offer models with and without on there quashkai's, this after they experienced a lot of trouble with there DPF's.
Notice that Honda have announced the auto version of the diesel - in fact it's featured on the 2010 CRV page on the Honda website.

I will definitely consider that when changing my car next year.
BP

Yeah everyone seems to be mentioning that it would be good with an auto. Word of caution just be careful don't rush in lets see how it handles the dreaded DPF that will be in the new dtec engine.
lets see how it handles the dreaded DPF that will be in the new dtec engine.

I work from home so only really only use the car for long runs so I wouldn't anticipate any issues. We have a Jazz for around town.

MPG would be my big issue - my current Merc C270CDi will display 50MPG on a 100 mile+ motorway run. Even 40MPG would be a big difference - 20% drop in fuel consumption adds 25% to my fuel costs.

The oder Honda diesel engine was noted for very variable fuel consumption - don't know if they've sorted that with the new one?
I have done 4700 miles in total in my CRV and around town i have been getting between 30-32mpg on a run it does as it states on the tin 43mpg. I have by the way given it a first top up on oil yesterday.
CR-V Revision Due 17 Sep 09 - Pica
I have got the Accord Tourer Auto with the 2.2 DTEC engine and I get 38 - 40 around town and on a recent trip to cardiff down the M4 and back (380 miles) I got 49.3mpg.

The car currently has 2200 miles on it
I have got the Accord Tourer Auto with the 2.2 DTEC engine

Thanks for that. Have you written up any thoughts about it? If not, please do! Especially related to everyday driving with that engine/gearbox combination, although I realise that the CRV would be somewhat different.
CR-V Revision Due 17 Sep 09 - Pica
I have had the car 4 weeks now and must say that my first impressions are very positive. I was not looking to change my CRV but the salesman wanted it for a customer who had requested one in my spec. he somehow persuaded me to try the new Accord. As soon as I drove it I was hooked, the seats are lovely the car is fully loaded with toys, auto everything, rear camera sensors and you can tell it what to do verbally and it obeys.

I drive quite sedately these days and the car is fits me really well. The autobox is smooth and the engine has good torque and responds well when pushed. It also has the paddle changers for when you feel a like a more spirited drive. I must admit I am concerned it has a DPF but I am hoping that Honda have made a reliable part.

The best part was he took my 07 CRV EX (old shape) and together with £8000 cash traded me a new Accord.
Gosh - a salesman that actually "sold" (rather than just took an order for) a car!!

I'm thinking of going the opposite way to you - from a saloon to the CRV as I love the relaxed and comfortable driving experience when driving SUVs in the US. I'm hoping a diesel auto CRV will be pretty similar, but we'll see. Hopefully Honda won't put it on stupid low profile tyres and Sport suspension.
CR-V Revision Due 17 Sep 09 - idle_chatterer
The oder Honda diesel engine was noted for very variable fuel consumption - don't know
if they've sorted that with the new one?

We have the CDTi engine in SWMBO's Civic and it regularly gives 50mpg. Amazingly for a diesel with no DPF I've never seen soot come out of it, it has used 1Ltr of oil in 14K miles (top up between services) so can't complain about that either.

It's refined (although perhaps a bit odd sounding), very drivable with a linear power / torque delivery and I would not hesitate to recommend it, miles better than a VAG PD in my experience.

I've never had any problems with DPFs on my cars but I do a lot of motorway driving and change my cars at 2 years so perhaps I wouldn't, I think the DPF on the VAG PD engine might have contributed to its poor fuel economy though.

I've been trying to persuade SWMBO to consider a CRV to replace her Civic but have so far been unsuccessful - she thinks it's too big and has her heart set on a Golf, Honda dealers do seem very keen to do deals at the moment.

Edited by idle_chatterer on 08/10/2009 at 21:57

CR-V Revision Due 17 Sep 09 - Manatee
>>We have the CDTi engine in SWMBO's Civic

Irrelevant to this discussion which is about the 2.2 i-CTDi, not the 1.7 CDTi in the previous Civic which was an Isuzu engine as far as I know.

Unless of course you actually have a 2.2? Even HJ annoyingly reverses 2 letters as I discovered when futilely searching for the i-CTDi some time ago.
>>We have the CDTi engine in SWMBO's Civic
Irrelevant to this discussion which is about the 2.2 i-CTDi not the 1.7 CDTi in
the previous Civic which was an Isuzu engine as far as I know.

Yes, we have the 2.2, wouldn't have posted if I thought my comments were 'irrelevant' but appreciate my typographical mistake could have misled you.

Edited by idle_chatterer on 08/10/2009 at 22:20

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply you had wilfully posted nonsense:-)

I agree it appears to be a fairly clean engine even without a DPF - no soot clouds in following headlights from my 70,000 miler.

Edited by Manatee on 08/10/2009 at 22:26

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply you had wilfully posted nonsense:-)

NP, it's still a good engine IMHO, I drove it in the old Accord and it was very refined, drivable and economical in that installation too.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is the 2.2 i-CTDi enough to propel the CRV with 'brio' (I suspect it is) ?
2. Is the i-DTEC a development / iteration of the i-CTDi or a new design ?
>>1. Is the 2.2 i-CTDi enough to propel the CRV with 'brio' (I suspect it is) ?

Well, yes IMO. People who think 200bhp/tonne is necessary for getting around wouldn't agree of course, but in the real world it's quite satisfying - acceleration using full gas and changing up at 3000rpm is nearly as fast as using all the revs, because of the flat torque curve, and more economical. Third gear will do nearly everything if it has to. This experience with a CRV II.

>>2. Is the i-DTEC a development / iteration of the i-CTDi or a new design ?

Honda says -

"The i-DTEC is an all-new diesel engine from Honda that builds and improves on the performance, fuel economy and emission efficiency of the award-winning i-CTDi diesel engine. It has an all-new cylinder block, head and most components have been changed or updated from the current diesel.

Like its predecessor, the refined i-DTEC engine is compact, lightweight, smooth and quiet, but there are a number of key changes designed to enhance overall efficiency.

The new i-DTEC engine is all-aluminium, transversely mounted, with 4-cylinders, DOHC, four valves per cylinder, a variable nozzle turbocharger and a second order balancer shaft.

However, the big difference is that the engine has been turned 180 degrees in the engine bay. This has allowed for the fitment of a new, integrated diesel particulate filter and catalytic converter."

Rail pressure is up from 1600 to 1800 bar, and the solenoid injectors have been replaced by piezo, so while Honda implay it uses some common parts, it is definitely more than just the addition of a DPF.

Edited by Manatee on 08/10/2009 at 23:35

Third gear will do nearly everything if it has to. This experience with a CRV II.

I did have a 5 speed diesel Accord for a week when they first came out and I commented the same thing - around town, 3rd was good for everything as long as the car didn't come to a stop. I could have quite easily lived with it, but really wanted an auto.

Performace doesn't bother me - I want an SUV for relaxed & comfortable cruising.
This has allowed for the fitment of a new integrated diesel particulate filter
and catalytic converter."

Hmmm...that's bound to be horribly expensive!
We have the CDTi engine in SWMBO's Civic and it regularly gives 50mpg.

For clarity, I didn't mean the MPG was variable for a given car. But it was particularly an issue for ex-company car drivers who opted out and bought diesel Accords expecting 50MPG, that, while some did achieve that, other cars were returning much worse MPG.
For clarity I didn't mean the MPG was variable for a given car. But it
was particularly an issue for ex-company car drivers who opted out and bought diesel Accords
expecting 50MPG that while some did achieve that other cars were returning much worse MPG.

I absolutely understand, I previously had an A4 B7 170PD as a company car and really struggled to get 40mpg let alone the claimed 47mpg. Since I'm compensated on the meagre HMRC mileage rates this was a salutary lesson for me.

The Honda engines are 2.2, so this actually means that company car drivers on HMRC rates get a much better deal, I think they need to average mid 30s mpg.

I'll continue to encourage SWMBO to look at the CRV, sounds like it's no slouch and has the practicality we need.

Edited by idle_chatterer on 09/10/2009 at 11:31

Lets hope this model does not have notchy gears.