reliability, cheap to fix, or fun to drive? - alfatrike
as the title suggests this an opinion question.

if you had to choose, which of the 3 following vehicle types would you choose?

the ultra reliable, not so interesting car that does average mpg but if it breaks it costs a fortune to fix---japanese for example

the not so reliable, not so interesting car that does average mpg and is cheap to fix---
ford, pug, vauxhall

the unreliable, expensive to fix car that drinks fuel and costs a fortune to fix BUT drives like a gem and handles like a beauty--- something italian mabey

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/08/2009 at 01:31

if you had to choose - Rattle
For me

the not so reliable, not so interesting car that does average mpg and is cheap to fix---
ford, pug, vauxhall

Cheap repairs are ease of getting repairs are as important as anything else for me. What is also important is that there car has a good web community on it. When my MAF went the diagnostics were pointed to something different put people on here such as bellboy and the Corsa site all suggested I checked it and they were right.

The worst thing would be driivng some rare car I know would cost a fortune as soon as it goes wrong.

My car now is a bit boring but at least it is quite high spec for its age and its nippy. I think I will always stick to common cars.

Edited by Rattle on 27/08/2009 at 00:20

if you had to choose - Avant
Given the amount that cars cost, one is entitled not to have to make that choice. Why can't I have reliable + interesting?

So far my Octavia vRS estate fulfils both, as did the Golf estate before it. Thinking of a few others - Mini Cooper, 1.3 Yaris, most BMWs, Nissan 370z. Porsches....

I think the same should apply to buying used as much as new. If for any reason (and I can't think of one) I had to make that choice, it would have to come down on the side of reliability. Without that, a car is arguably not fulfilling its purpose.
if you had to choose - fredthefifth
I find the question contradictory.

Ultra reliable cars are not necessarily expensive to fix or only do average mpg.

Expensive cars are not necessarily unreliable and drink fuel.

Hence does not compute.

BUT if I had to weight things, relaibility would score high alongwith TOTAL cost of ownership.

Regards.
FTF
if you had to choose - alfatrike
it just a question. you don't need to give it the third degree. i just wondered if others here had the same thoughts about cars as i have.
if you had to choose - fredthefifth
Fair comment, as I clicked post I wondered whether I was getting a bit too analytical!
Its late!
FTF

if you had to choose - alfatrike
no worries, atleast you read it. thanks.
if you had to choose - LikedDrivingOnce
From the list, I would choose a Ford.
Allegedly this falls into the category of "the not so reliable, not so interesting car that does average mpg and is cheap to fix-"

However, Fords are rapidly closing the gap in terms of reliability, and modern Fords are good to drive. I think that you are right about the average MPG, though. That's what puts me off a Mondeo.
if you had to choose - PR {P}
Would be the third one for me, but without the unreliability issues, which are greatly exaggerated nowadays.
if you had to choose - Alby Back
Two possible answers in my view. Take your pick.

1/ Mondeo
2/ 42
if you had to choose - jase1
"Cheap to fix" is irrelevant if the car is reliable -- within reason.

In my experience, Japanese cars are far cheaper to run than an equivalent Peugeot or Vauxhall because they fail less often.

The simple maths bears it out.

Car A goes wrong twice a year. Part costs say £30. Labour is 2 hours each time. Total cost (30+(35x2))*3=£200.

Car B goes wrong once a year. Part costs say £70. Labour is the same. Total cost (70+(35x2))*1=£140.

So the "cheap parts" car ends up costing more. This is an extreme example as well, as in my experience Nissan parts are rarely more than 30-40% more expensive than Peugeot ones, and they do, definitely, last longer and suffer fewer premature failures.

As for "fun to drive", this is subjective. I personally find a Primera much more enjoyable than a 406. The Peugeot's chassis is good, but it's gearbox is evil. All IMHO of course.
if you had to choose - tyro
This question is just waaaaaaayyyyy too hypothetical for me to even begin to attempt an answer.

:-)