03 2.4 Seized idler pulley - Duca
few weeks ago, on the motorway, the engine went completely dead.

A inspection at the Volvo garage revealed that the idler pulley had seized causing the V belt to break.

The report continues " When this happens the V belt disintegrates wrapping itself around the crankshaft pulley and also enters the cam belt casing. This causes the cam belt to slip on its pulleys, as the pulleys on the cam belt are timed to turn in synchronisation this is disturbed and fatal damage occurs internally in the engine". In short the car needs a new engine!

The car had a full service only days before this happening and the engine has less than 50.000 miles on the clock.

Any idea on what can be the cause for the idler pulley to seize?

03 2.4 Seized idler pulley - 659FBE
At this mileage, I'd guess that the idler wheel bearing was assembled without grease - I've met this problem before. It's surprising how long a rolling bearing will run without grease, just relying on the oily preserving film applied to the parts prior to assembly.

There is a great deal to be said for spinning any idlers which are re-used following a belt change. A bearing without grease has a quite characteristic "over free" feel to it and may feel slightly rough. I found such a bearing in the INA aux belt tensioner in my partner's PSA 106D at 50k miles when the cambelt was being changed.

I levered out the seal and greased the bearing, carefully replacing the seal. The vehicle has now covered 150k miles without problems here - or anywhere else on the engine.

Very bad luck with the Volvo I'm afraid - virtually no chance of redress. If there is a lesson to be learned, get your maintenance done by someone with a real understanding of what's important. A good (interested) independent might well have spotted this problem during a routine belt change.

Thanks.
Bought the car less than two months before this happened with a Hire Purchase finance deal. Thinking of rejecting the car with the finance company. Any advice?
03 2.4 Seized idler pulley - prm72
Was it petrol or diesel?
Was it petrol or diesel?

Diesel
03 2.4 Seized idler pulley - TheOilBurner
This has been reported before on the D5. You are not alone with this issue.

Try searching on here and on the Volvo owner's club too.