someone tried to kill me today - tack
So, there I was, visiting my Aunt Kit. She makes the most sublime bacon and onion puddings in tea mugs with broken handles (don't ask) and fantastic bread pudding. Having picked up my vittals, I went to cross the road to go to the station.

I looked right, left and right again and continued to look as I crossed the (wider than average) residential street.

As I stepped off the kerb, a silver X6 thingy was turning into the road from a main road, probably over 100ft away. Now, I wasn't marching to Colonel Bogey, nor was I doing the 88 step p/m Foreign Legion march. I wasn't dawdling as I had a hot date with a bacon and onion pudding when I got home.

Under normal circumstances, I would get safely to the other side without the driver even needing to think to cover his brake pedal or decelerate. However, I did not reckon with my physical presence and temerity in crossing the road acting as a red rag to Mr X6 driver who flashed his lights, accelerated towards me and blared his horn as he actually jinked towards me.

I got to the other side and heard his shout through the open window. I think he described me as something akin to the ladies downstairs department. He was going so fast, I didn't even have time to extend him the snake wranglers five knuckle shuffle fellowship sign. Anyway, I was still thinking about my pudding. Ithere's a joke there somewhere!)

Blow me down, he only came around the block a second time to have another go. Shouting at me through his open window, his puce ugly face with spittle flecking his lips. I was quite shocked that my presence should have such an effect on a man (it usually only happens with my wife) Then he drove off.

I walked away shaking my head in wonder. What on earth possessed him? I kid you not when I say I had plenty of time to cross, there was no element at all of me jay walking or being difficult.

I dare say that had I stopped in his path he would have stopped or gone around me, but really I wasn't bothered about us being in the same space together until he decided to be a complete rear end about it all and make to wipe me up.
someone tried to kill me today - barney100
Sounds as though you encountered a nutter and trying to apply logic to the incident is a waste of time. If you got the guys number then report him, they can't do much but he might just do it again and they have his record of your complaint. Shakes you up this kind of thing and you have to feel sorry for the driver in a way 'cos he can't have much upstairs.
someone tried to kill me today - Pugugly
There may be sufficient CCTV coverage to corroborate.
someone tried to kill me today - 1400ted

Complete barmpot...shouldn't be in charge of a killing machine ! Imagine him roaming the streets with a Kalashnikov.
You can console yourself that in a few years he will be no stranger to the local Coronary Care Unit. ( Or even by-passing it and straight to the mortuary.)
More importantly...give us your Auntie Kit's phone number.

Ted
someone tried to kill me today - Old Navy
Report it to the plods even if you dont have the number he may be one of their regular customers or be known to them and when he hits someone(thing) it helps provide his history and attitude.
someone tried to kill me today - JH
Barney's right, but by the sound of it the X6 driver was more wound up by the incident, of his making, than you. So you've come out on top really. As much as it is possible to with a nutter :-(

You're sure he wasn't after your bacon pudding?

JH
someone tried to kill me today - SteVee
If you have the registration, then I would report him to the cops.
That is completely unacceptable - especially circling back for another go.

The pudding sounds good ....
I meant the CCTV to corroborate the pudding !
someone tried to kill me today - Lud
The pudding sounds good ....

Certainly does, but a tea mug with a broken handle, weighted with bacon and onion pudding, would make a good shortrange projectile to hurl into an ugly yelling puce face. I'm sure the aunt would come up with another when you explained.
someone tried to kill me today - Alby Back
I saw someone do something like that to a pedestrian in Rio once. In return the pedestrian shot at the car. The car went away quite quickly and didn't come back. Must have missed anything vital. Maybe it was just meant as a warning......
Might have provided a nice camera shaped hole in the back of the car Humph.
someone tried to kill me today - Bill Payer
I saw someone do something like that to a pedestrian in Rio once. In return
the pedestrian shot at the car.

- apparently the knowledge that quite a few Americans keep a gun in their glove-box is why they don't have much road rage in America.
someone tried to kill me today - Alby Back
Drivers tend to be quite polite in Brazil too. Spirited, but rarely confrontational.

;-)
someone tried to kill me today - BobbyG
Someone also tried to kill me yesterday!
Sitting at a traffic lights crossroads on my pedal bike. First in the queue. Rush hour traffic all behind me (2 lanes).
Lights change to amber and I set off. Each road of the crossroads is 4 lanes ie 2 each way.
So just as I am getting across the third lane, someone coming from that direction (the car in the 4th lane had already stopped) decided they were going to go full pelt to get through the lights. Now their judgement was totally wrong. I slammed on the anchors, swerved and just managed to get my foot out the pedal strap before I hit the deck. Cars behind me had to slam on their anchors as well. Meanwhile car that jumped the red light (a RAV4) sped off into the distance!

And apart from the obvious fright, I was annoyed that I could not partake in any road rage :( I couldn't chase him, swear at him, wave fingers or, take a note of his number plate to report to the police. That was the annoying bit as I would have reported him.

For those that know Glasgow, this happened at the junction outside London Road Police Station!
someone tried to kill me today - retgwte
on a slightly lighter note

i saw a hobless hobnob head drive round and round a large road system to keep driving through a large puddle and soaking the pedestrians on the path, timed always so that the new victims had not seen the previous lot

id have shot him if i had a rifle, and thought he was a hobnob at the time

but made me chuckle for the pure silliness of it

i hope somebody got hold of him later and dipped his head in some water

someone tried to kill me today - Cliff Pope
The comforting thought when you see someone in a rage is that his lifetime clock is ticking loudly, and sooner rather than later, and certainly sooner than yours, his blood pressure will put an end to all further annoyances.
Ride a 'bike (powered or otherwise) and people will try to kill you daily.
someone tried to kill me today - OldSock
Someone also tried to kill me yesterday!

Lights change to amber and I set off.........

(my bold)

Sounds to me like you were trying to get yourself killed :-(

What was it again? Oh yes - "don't be an amber gambler". Or maybe such advice doesn't apply to cyclists?

Oldsock, when you are on a pedal bike, sitting at a red traffic light in rush hour, you don't wait till the light turns green before setting off or you will have several vehicles trying to barge you out the way.

As soon as amber comes, and the road is safe , you move off to show consideration to your fellow road users. As it turns out, although the road looked safe as the traffic had stopped, I didn't bargain on the RAV4 blatantly driving through the red light.
someone tried to kill me today - OldSock
Oldsock when you are on a pedal bike sitting at a red traffic light in
rush hour you don't wait till the light turns green before setting off

Perhaps you should write I instead of you....

You may choose to criticise the Toyota driver for crossing a red light (which means 'stop', last time I looked), but crossing an amber light (which means 'stop', last time I looked) is just asking for trouble.

And before you say it, yes, I have ridden a pedal cycle in many cities' rush hours without coming to grief - and without recourse to 'jumping' the lights. On the contrary, with sensible positioning, acceleration sense and observation, the phalanx of emerging cars can be used somewhat as a 'shield'.

Persistent flouting of the rules by cyclists can only serve to promote antagonism with car drivers.

Edited by OldSock on 25/08/2009 at 21:42

So oldsock are you saying you never move off on amber?
someone tried to kill me today - Robin Reliant
I dare say that had I stopped in his path he would have stopped or
gone around me

I would not bank on that. People who do that sort of thing are the same ones who would push a glass in your face in a pub for looking at them wrong or some other perceived form of "Dis".

There are some real nutters out there.
someone tried to kill me today - ifithelps
Someone passed me at about 75mph in a 50mph limit a while ago.

I flashed him a few times.

He was in such a rush, he stopped a few hundred metres down the road to abuse me from the kerbside as I trundled past.

To me, that sums up the absurdity of most speeding.

It has nothing to do with a need to get there quicker, and everything to do with demonstrating superiority over fellow motorists.

someone tried to kill me today - maz64
Someone passed me at about 75mph in a 50mph limit a while ago.
I flashed him a few times.

Why?
Why?

Yes, why? And why generalise about the intentions of people who drive faster than you? You know nothing about them, and are far too ready to do things like fussy flashing to demonstrate your own vastly and crushingly superior respectability.
someone tried to kill me today - Robin Reliant
ifithelps is a traffic cop ;-)
Why didn't he nick the bloke then?
ifithelps is a traffic cop ;-)

Good point, I'd forgotten that.
Lud/Focus,

I disapprove of dangerous driving - seen the consequences too many times.

The speed of the other car was such that it startled me.

I flashed him to say something like: 'Slow down before you kill someone, you idiot.'

His reaction shows I got the message across.

To me, my reaction was proportionate - a flash or two of the headlights, nothing more.

I could have stopped where he did and (attempted) to fill him in.

That would have been disproportionate.

...ifithelps is a traffic cop ;-)...

I wouldn't have the patience for all the lies, deceit and bull... I'd get from members of the motoring public.

Reckon I'd last about an hour in that job, but in that time I'd produce enough work to keep Professional Standards busy for a year. :)
ifithelps - presumably you were in an unmarked car? If so, his reaction doesn't surprise me. Lots of people generally don't like being told what to do (even indirectly) by people they don't think have the 'right'.

EDIT: sorry, just seen that ifithelps isn't a TC

Edited by Focus {P} on 25/08/2009 at 18:26

I could understand perhaps a traffic cop flashing a speeder if backed up with turning on the blue lights, but for an ordinary motorist, I would be very surprised if this had the desired results. Did you really expect it to work?
Focus,

All my cars are unmarked - like to keep 'em nice. :)

It was daylight, the guy shot past me, by the time I'd flashed the headlights he was some way down the road.

I was surprised he even noticed, particularly as he must have been on such an important mission.

As you say, he didn't like my passing comment on the manner of his driving, which the law would describe as dangerous.

Well, that's his problem, not mine.

If he doesn't like being flashed, he shouldn't drive dangerously.
As you say he didn't like my passing comment on the manner of his driving
which the law would describe as dangerous.

Perhaps he objected to you breaking the Highway Code:

Q7. What is the one reason allowed for flashing your headlights.

A7. To advise other road users that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users. Never assume that a flashing headlight is a signal for you to proceed.

:-)
...To advise other road users that you are there....

Well, he was driving like there was no one else on the road, so I might try a Nick Freeman-esque defence to that one.

Wonder what the heinous offence of indiscriminate light flashing is worth?

Can't be any more than a fine and points, probably just the former.

Whereas dangerous driving carries a maximum of two years, and some judges have described that as inadequate.

Edited by ifithelps on 25/08/2009 at 18:56

...To advise other road users that you are there....
Well he was driving like there was no one else on the road so I
might try a Nick Freeman-esque defence to that one.

you mean 'To advise other road users that you were there' :-)
he shouldn't drive dangerously.

agreed on that
All right ifithelps. Sorry I was rude. And I must say your man sounds an idiot. I don't normally pay any attention to angry flashing in my mirror (it doesn't often happen).

Slight topic drift, but when the lights changed at the junction of Elgin Avenue and Edgeware Road yesterday and we all moved off to cross Edgeware Road, there were four youngish men crossing the road against the lights, the fat one in the lead holding his hand up imperiously to make us all stop. Unfortunately the BMW in front allowed itself to be intimidated instead of blasting forward over their toes followed by the rest of us, and so we all had to stop.

I confess that I was so annoyed I gave a toot on my car's mellifluous horn, and as we all drove off these carphound pedestrians looked round angrily. I am ashamed to say I showed them the American finger. There's no fool like an old fool.
...All right ifithelps. Sorry I was rude...

Lud,

Thanks for the (unprompted) apology.

No offence intended or taken.

The observance of speed limits is one of those topics where are views differ a little bit.

As regards passing comment on other drivers, driving in London is a far cry from the wide open spaces of the North East.

If I were driving regularly again in the capital, I'd soon learn to keep my trap shut in all but the most extraordinary of situations.
someone tried to kill me today - Tornadorot
Indeed, you'd have to be a hobless hobnob of the highest order to be seen dead in an X6, IMHO :-)
someone tried to kill me today - 1400ted
Could have taken out a young woman with 2 toddlers y'day, ( how many points is that ? )
She stood on the kerb to my left, one toddler on a tricycle, waiting whilst the green man was on. The lights changed to green for me and she went, pushing the trike off the kerb first as if to ' test the water '.
I anticipated and let her cross, although I'd already moved. Managed to get my window down and give her a very short lecture on crossing the road...which she ignored.
Still, if I helped somebody, it wasn't a wasted day.

Ted
someone tried to kill me today - kiss (keep it simple)
You have to remember that some people's brains are smaller.
someone tried to kill me today - Hamsafar
Reminds me of this video from about 5 years ago that was doing the rounds. The 'victim' ended up stealing their camcorder, hence the footage.
Whether it's real I don't know.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=81RX7eqz9-w
WARNING, contains lots of swearing, a firearm, and verbal abuse of sentient beings, hence not click-able.
someone tried to kill me today - gordonbennet
She stood on the kerb to my left one toddler on a tricycle waiting whilst
the green man was on.

I had similar in a certain part of Bristol a few years ago, young female ( i nearly said woman but that would be insulting real womanhood who wouldn't dream of this tactic) in charge of child in pushchair just pushes the infant out in front of fully loaded car carrier trundling down the road (me), nowhere near a crossing of any sort.

Then after i've slewed to a halt looks at me like i'm something the dog dragged in, and continued across.

You sometimes wonder if the old eyes are deceiving you the sheer stupidity of them.
In Newcastle, NSW, last Christmas or thereabouts, my wife (65) and I (70) were crossing the big urban three-lanes-each-way dual carriageway between the shops and our daughter's house, about fifty yards from the traffic lights at the junction.

As we started to cross, in the late morning with virtually no traffic, the lights changed. A car not quite up to the lights, cruising correctly down the nearside lane coming from our right, chose very obviously to accelerate as hard as it could and swerve across into the outside lane apparently trying to kill us. However hard it was going, in a straight line it would have been 15 feet behind us. Being cool old London pedestrians we didn't break into the panicky scamper the little carphound wanted, but slightly upped our pace to twitch our buttocks onto the central reservation in the nick of time.

As the car - can't remember what it was, probably Japanese, certainly nothing special - passed just behind us I did bawl 'lady's front bottom' or some word to that effect in my practised South London lilt, but the little turd was saying something himself over the scream of his little engine so may not have heard. I wasn't quick enough to let him have the groceries through his windscreen. Just as well perhaps.

It absolutely amazed us as Aussie motorists are utter pussycats by our standards, positively Californian and often verging on mimsers. We kept hearing wheelspin round the corner but that was the only piece of real London gutter behaviour we saw there. Total damn nutter and carphound.
The bacon and onion pudding went down a treat tonight, with mash and lashings of onion gravy, follwed by a mug o tea and bread pudding, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz night night.
someone tried to kill me today - Toyota Red
Was walking across a pedestrian crossing, in the hellhole that is Swindon, and had a young gent start flashing his lights at me when he was around 100yds away. Turned out he was doing close on three-figure mph in a forty.
someone tried to kill me today - PBB
tack - my full sympathy, a horrendous experience.

I have been in similar situations before, more times that I care to recall, what you absolutely must do is to report the incident to the Police.

They may be dismissive because you do not have the registration number, but they can investigate based on X6 vehicles registered in the local area if you are gently persuasive enough (I am guessing the offender is local, he knew it well enough to circle the block), but this might be clutching at straws.

They may also ask "do you want to press charges sir", as that puts most people off pursuing the incident, so have an instant "yes" response ready.

Even if the Police cannot trace the offender, it may assist you in recovering from this ordeal if you have at least offloaded the experience as a recorded offence. And, as others have said, at some point a similar incident may occur with the same driver and the 2 can be linked. No way they can be linked if you have not reported it.

I recommend that you seek counselling as this was a direct and unprovoked threat upon your life. I am guessing you will have a lot of anger and upset within, a professional really can help you to deal and move on.

Finally, it may be worth visiting the area again yourself at a similar time of day with a camera?

Best of luck anyway.
Tack, do you have a recipe for yr Aunt Kit's bacon and onion pudding?

It really appeals for some reason.
someone tried to kill me today - gnucar
Rally good thread, on idiots on the road - and I too would really like the recipe. I'm totally serious, the whole concept sounds wonderful. Paypal waiting if need be.
People have been killed for divulging lesser secrets than their revered Aunts top secret boiled bacon and onion pudding recipe. My dear old Mum (bless her soul) took her recipe for perfect yorkshire pudding to the grave. The only part she told me was that you had to slam the oven door when you put the pudding in.

However, I will don the kevlar body suit and shin protectors and ask Aunt Kit. Watch this space!