97 3300 car won't start - carolinep
Hi, can anyone give me any ideas what the problem could be, our grand voyager is completely dead. The fob will not open the car and when you try to start it nothing happens. the immobiliser light on the dashboard is not illuminated, we initially thought the battery may be dead but have tried jump starting it from another car but still not a flicker of life.
can anyone give any ideas what to try.
many thanks
97 3300 car won't start - Peter D
Are you saying that it does not even turn over and or the dash does not light up when the ignition is on. Regards Peter
hi peter
engine does not even turn over, nothing happening whatsoever
thanks
97 3300 car won't start - Peter D
Suspect main system fuse failure. Check battery voltage and all main earth straps. Regards Peter
thanks peter, we are going to take the battery to be tested a bit later but the main earth straps how would we get these checked.
sorry know absolutely nothing about these things trying to do as much as we can ourselves to try and avoid a big bill at the main dealer.

thanks again caroline

97 3300 car won't start - Cris_on_the_gas
Hi Caroline,

Might be the battery is completely flat. Sometimes if they are that discharged then even a jump start won't work.
Have you got a battery charger and a spare hour, stick it on and go and make a cuppa and read the Sunday supplements of your favourite paper. Come back and see if there is any life in the battery
thanks cris_on_the_gas,
we are going to take battery off and take it to a local car spares shop where he will test it for us, fingers crossed it will just need a new one.
had a nightmare with it a year ago when the immobiliser went whilst on holiday in france, 2 months and a big bill later got the car back so would be happy for something more straightforward this time.

thanks caroline
97 3300 car won't start - SteVee
I would agree with Cris. The battery may well be completely dead. This happened to my wife's Clio, charging didn't revive it. New battery completely fixed it.
I would also agree with the comment above regarding checking the main earth strap from the negative terminal to the bodyshell.

Good luck with the spares shop - you may want to check battery prices on-line before you go.
thanks SteVee
Yes will be checking battery prices before i go just in case, confused ref checking the main earth strap though, how would i do that

thanks
caroline
97 3300 car won't start - SteVee
To check the earth strap:
there are two cables from the battery - one is probably red and goes from the positive terminal (marked +). The other cable is the earth - going from the negative (-) terminal to the car bodyshell. It is essential that this earth strap has a good connection - just make sure that it's not loose and has no significant corrosion.
Make sure that you take note of how the old battery is held securely in the car and how the terminals are marked - and connect the new battery the same !

If the battery installs OK and the car tsrtas and runs then you probably have no cause for concern
97 3300 car won't start - phatboyroy

starter motor?

give it a clout with a long bar to dislodge carbon dust on the contacts.

97 3300 car won't start - phatboyroy

sorry error in date

see my report HJ back room > tech matters > select voyager dated 04 Jul 011

it may be that, IT'S LIKELY TO BE THAT.

best of luck

Let me know by posting a reply

I also urge you to report your problems to VOSA, (as i have done) and to email andrew.nicholls@gmail.com

see his report on my thread at Fri 12 Aug 2011