Diesel cars in the US - sooty123
Has anyone any experience of using diesel in very cold climites? Having been working with some americans recently and got chatting to them about the differences between US and the UK. Having first covered the important subjects, the price and quality of beer in our respective countries ;-) the conversion changed to cars specifically diesels there was a strong believe that they would struggle to start in the cold northern states in winter. Does anyone work with cars in cold countries or test them? Could an additive be added easily like FSII in aircraft fuel? I think diesel and aircraft fuel are fairly similar.

I've driven a few diesel but nowhere really cold.
Diesel cars in the US - Bagpuss
I live in Southern Germany. It got down to almost -30C last winter. I had no problems with the diesel, though on one occasion I did have a problem with the brakes. I think what happened was that after I parked the car in the middle of a snow storm, snow collected on the brake discs, melted and then froze. When I came to move the car a few days later (after digging it out of the snow) I found the brakes had frozen. A colleague also had problems with the door mechanism on his Audi Q7
Diesel cars in the US - Bill Payer
Even in the UK there is summer and winter diesel.
Diesel cars in the US - bathtub tom
Ice road truckers? Scandinavian countries?

I believe a heater may be required in the fuel line.
Diesel cars in the US - Lou_O
Engine block heaters are common in the colder parts of the world.
Diesel cars in the US - enfield freddy
brazziers , the things you warmed your hand on (no not a 36d cup type!) were common in un sunny lancashire , along withrolled up newspapers doused in diesel , and placed under the tanks of wagens

bit like starting a steam loco in he morning!

those were the days , and on pay as well
Diesel cars in the US - Hamsafar
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cold+start+td...f
Diesel cars in the US - diddy1234
I wonder if common rail diesels start better in the cold compared to other types ?
Diesel cars in the US - Old Navy
Direct injection engines definitely start easier than the indirect engines in cool weather (it doesnt get really cold here in Scotland), I would think that CR also helps with better atomisation of the fuel.

Edited by Old Navy on 21/08/2009 at 16:27

Diesel cars in the US - Number_Cruncher
The use of block heaters, having glow plugs in tip-top condition and thinner engine oil helps cold starting in extreme cold - to the extent that there are even some very old Mercedes diesels which can be used year round. Electric hook ups for the block heaters are provided in some car parks.

Diesel cars in the US - Old Navy
While in Canada during winter I found that cars parked without access to mains power for a block heater would auto start and run to keep the engine warm with a thermostatic stop start system. I hope it only worked if the transmission was in "park". :-)

Edited by Old Navy on 21/08/2009 at 16:39

Diesel cars in the US - enfield freddy
many yrs ago i had a nice big ex "wonderloaf" (bread delivery) wagon that i used to use for buissness ,

leyland daf thing ,

the thing would not start in a morning , humbug!!

many cans of easystart got it running

quoted £xxx for a punp rebuild etc etc , so I sorted it for £5

pici here www.2130tj.co.uk/1/v1.jpg shown along side a conventional valve from a central heating unit

tiz a nice one way valve that stops fuel running out of a worn pump , back into the tank

15 yrs later i used this in a enfield motorcycle to stop oil blowing back

www.2130tj.co.uk/1/mk5.jpg

sorry off topic ,

must take the A35 for a run this weekend