Unusual cat problem - akr
Has anyone got any suggestions how to solve this problem?
My neighbour's cat has taken to sitting on the wife's 93 Cabriolet roof. As I'm sure you all know it's a fabric roof and, although he hasn't done it yet, I'm dreading the day the cat digs his claws into it with the consequent pulling of threads and damage it may cause.
I'm not a major fan of cats but I am an animal lover so I don't want to harm it so does anybody have any "humane" ways of stopping it sitting up there?
Unusual cat problem - njgleeds
Burmese python??

Sorry, I'll get me coat.....
Unusual cat problem - Lud
I believe a light dressing with lion urine may do the trick.

Unusual cat problem - alfatrike
removed, as per the forum's no swearing policy

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/08/2009 at 02:25

Unusual cat problem - mike hannon

Unusual cat problem - kithmo
Personally I'd leave it be, it's unlikely that it will do any harm, but if you must move it, a water pistol may do the trick, cats usually hate water.
Unusual cat problem - Gromit {P}
Can you change where/how you park the car?

The cat probably likes the car roof not because its a fabric roof but because its a sheltered spot to snooze with a good view of the surrounding area. Try parking so the roof is shaded and the cat may, at least, prefer the bonnet for the residual engine heat and better view of the neighbourhood dogs.

If you don't have pets of your own who'll also be disturbed by it, an ultrasonic clicker/boomer (you can get battery powered ones which would be OK in a sheltered outdoor spot) might deter the cat - though I've found some makes work better than others in keeping mice and rats from my garden shed.
I might change my mind about being an animal lover - I like the Burmese python answer best!!
Unusual cat problem - OldSock
And there was I looking forward to a discussion on lambda sensors etc.... :-)
Unusual cat problem - rtj70
There's a BMW Z3 near to where I live and a white long haired cat sleeps on the roof. I'd not be pleased. It did look comfortable.

I wonder if an electronic type of deterrent that emits a sound might work best? Or use a water pistol often enough that it gets the message it's not welcome?
Unusual cat problem - Cliff Pope
And there was I looking forward to a discussion on lambda sensors etc.... :-)

You use a tethered lamb to lure a man-eating tiger. I think this cat is a bit smaller.
Unusual cat problem - FotheringtonThomas
Pressure washer. You don't *have* to get up close.
Unusual cat problem - 1400ted

If the cat already has a collar, get your neighbour to fix a bell to it. Problem solved !

I had this problem when I kept the Jowett under the car port. I was on the verge of making a water jet with a 12v pump, through a transformer and a PIR but ended up putting the car in the garage and taking down the car port......not because of the cats. Animal repeller 5 ft away didn't bother them.

And the bell idea ?............one weighing about 10kg should do the trick !!

Ted
Unusual cat problem - bell boy
a kids gun power squirter will soon get the message through if you get them a few times
and no pain to the pussies
Unusual cat problem - Bagpuss
Our cat usually gets the message about where it should not be with one of those spray bottle things for keeping house plants moist. It's so well trained now that we only have to produce the bottle and not actually use it.
This is a hard cat though - cock of the street so it'll laugh in the face of a spray. The Karcher might do it though. In fact that'll propel it back onto the neighbour's drive!!!!!
Seriously, though, it does need sorting as he could quite easily put some holes in the roof.
Unusual cat problem - Martin Devon
Once upon a time long ago we had a Cat Shat between the bonnet and the windscreen of a Ford Orion. I apologise for the Ford Orion and ONLY for the shat if I have erred again. (Sorry PU for the other evening, should have known better, but I was, as someone else pointed out, quite irate), however 'it' had not become apparent until moving off and turning on the heater!!! I will leave you all to your own imaginations. Getting rid was another matter. I cannot abide animal cruelty, but neither can I abide Catshat.

Don't mention strimmer.

VBR..............MD
oh, i strimmed a lump of puss poo once many years ago. i can still taste it just thinking of it now. ALLWAYS wear a mask or face guard these days.

back to the problem, same advice as others. super soaker will do the trick.
Unusual cat problem - Martin Devon
Doo Kal ash nik ov doo a sooper soaker??
would it be called a 'H2O-47'?
Used to have a pump action clear plastic machine gun that fired ping-pong ball sized spheres of expanded polystyrene. Harmless of course, but the cat got very good at using all the cover in the sitting room when it saw the thing in my hands. Mostly got fired at the TV when the Prime Minister (Lord Home or 'Baillie Vass' as Private Eye called him for some reason) was on.

I haven't seen one for ages, but if you can get one of those you may be able to deter the mog, however hard it may think it is. Cats have a strong sense of dignity.

Edited by Lud on 20/08/2009 at 21:36

Unusual cat problem - bathtub tom
There used to be some green pellets on a bit of wire, designed for house vent bricks.

A colleague had a problem with a cat 'marking' his car at the bottom of the windscreen where the heater air inlet is. The pellets did the trick, but were apparently only a slighter better odour.
Unusual cat problem - teabelly
Neighbours' cats used to sleep on my cabrio roof. Don't think any of them ever scratched it. One was sick on it though! Did see 3 of them on it at once quite a few times. There was usually 2 of them on there. It was a double duck so quite tough.

Those tarpaulin car caps might be one solution. Just pop one on when it is parked up so they can't be on contact with the nice fabric.
Unusual cat problem - Sofa Spud
I'm a cat lover so I'm only going to make a humane suggestion.
As posted above, those water spray bottles you can get for spraying the leaves of houseplants are very good cat detererents, and harmless!

One thing you need to bear in mind though is that cats, when scared, tend to run for home. So if 'home' is across the road, it might not be wise to scare the cat suddenly.

Also remember that if you vere leave the car in the drive with the roof down, the cat might curl up inside the car, and you might drive off with it in situ!
a friend had a 'fun' time when he sat on the cat that had climed in through the sunroof and gone to sleep on the drivers seat. one man + very angry cat in a mk2 fiesta = lots of scratches
We live in a cul-de-sac so startling it and making it run across the road isn't a problem as there's no through traffic.
What I failed to mention is that it sits on its owner's car roof too (an Astra hatch) so it obviously likes sitting up high.
I'm off to bed now to keep watch for the little blighter. And I'm armed!!!!!
Unusual cat problem - bintang
TCP solution. As regards solutions sold as repellents, I sprayed our drive entrance to discourage our new Burmese from straying into the road. A few minutes later, I found him sprawling on the sprayed area.