Oil for Latest Turbo Diesels - Mike Staple
So, Im talking to the service manager at the supplying dealer of a nice new Toyota Avensis D4-D we've got and happend to mention that we are going to use fully-synthetic 5w-40 oil in it (cos its a turbo etc. etc.) and he sounds suprised - he says they use the garages standard mineral gunge in them....

If I had a similar car that was main-dealer serviced, Id now be very worried!

Surely this would seriously shorten the life of the engine (especially a hard-driven one).
Oil for Latest Turbo Diesels - volvod5_dude
What do Toyota specify in the handbook?
Oil for Latest Turbo Diesels - Flat in Fifth
fair comment, eg Ford specifies 5W-30 A1/B1 which is in fact semi synth, or enhanced mineral oil as Halfords call it.
Oil for Latest Turbo Diesels - Dude - {P}
If you intend to keep this vehicle for a while and drive it hard, - go for a fully synthetic - Mobil 1 0-40w or Castrol SLX
Oil for Latest Turbo Diesels - volvod5_dude
Be guided by what Toyota recommend in the owners manual. Volvo recommend oil to ACEA B4 spec for their new D5 turbo diesel, so thats what I use. Mobil 1 0-40 satisfies this. The oil the dealer was going to use didn't.
Oil for Latest Turbo Diesels - John S
Fif

Odd this - not only do Halfords supply 'enhanced mineral', but they also supply 'semi synthetic' 10/40 according to the back of the can I have. I'd assume the Ford spec oil is semi synth due to the oil change intervals (A1/B1 is actually 'low friction' spec), so what's the difference?

Regards

John S
Yes odd indeed John.

You might have guessed from other posts that I had a TDCi Mondeo in the pipeleine and it has now arrived. All well so far.

I cannot quote chapter and verse from the handbook as I'm overseas at the moment. BTW last night first job was to fit winter spiked tyres, 15 cm of snow yesterday and 0.5 deg C last night so just a shade slippery. :-(

What I do recall is the recommended oil is 5W-30 A1/B1 or A3/B3. (the bold type is exactly as I recall the owners manual)
I presume the bold means that A1/B1 is preferred.

They went on to allow if I recall correctly 10W-30, and maybe 10W-40, 15W-xx grades were frowned upon. I would need to have the book in front of me to be precise about this. If this thread is still alive and of interest next weekend I might get round to reposting more definitively.

Anyway all the oil in my garage was of different grades, the nearest was a bit of 10W-40 semi synth.

So a trip to Halfords showed that the only 5W-30 oil they sold was what they called on the sales stand enhanced mineral oil, but IIRC also made some comment about semi synth on the can.

Furthermore these 5W-30 oils were the only oils which were specifically stated as suitable for all modern Ford engines.

Oil for Latest Turbo Diesels - John S
Spiked tyres eh? Serious weather! What's the initial view of the Mondeo? I have a friend who has just got a zetec, and reckons it's better than the previous model. I'm a bit put off by the garish trim in the cabin I have to say, but haven't yet driven one.

I believe the modern Fords need the thinner oils (or at least the low 'W' viscosity to prevent problems with the hydraulic lifters during cold starts). Certainly comments here about them jacking up when using 20W oils. All the info I've seen makes no reference to the longevity of A1/B1 oils, stating they are 'low friction' whereas A3/B3 is always noted as being for long drain intervals ('long' being undefined), and are therefore at least semi-synth. I imagine that's why A3/B3 oil is acceptable.

Regards

John S
First impressions Mondeo - Flat in Fifth
"What's the initial view of the Mondeo?"

To quote HJ's CbyC breakdown.
"On your first drive of the car it immediately feels fantastic. Then it gets better."

Spot on there HJ.

Wasn't particularly a fan of the old mondeo, but that comment is coloured by that old Duratorq diesel engine.

The TDCi is quiet and quick. It is certainly so free revving it's actually difficult to run in to HJ's recommended <3000 pm for first 1000 miles. So far economy is not wonderfull very low 40's but guess that could improve with mileage, plus I have been a bit free in using that mid range torque. ;-)

Ride, handling and levels of grip are extremely and I mean extremely impressive. Comfort is good. Even colleagues used to Peugeot ride/handling/seats have commented on the ride and comfort levels favourably.

Negative comments suchas they are.

I have to lower the seat a little so the wheel doesn't obscure the top of the instrument cluster.

Not enough cubby holes in the boot space for storing all that "just in case" garbage I carry about and never use.

Odd view from the door mirrors, the Vectra's are far better in reality despite being subject to far more criticism.

Odd handbrake action. The handbook says not to press the button when pulling up the lever. It is difficult to get out of the habit of doing this even though there is no "ratchet effect."
I guess this is due to those modifications following a few runaways. You have to press the footbrake firmly, then pull up the lever and then its OK. Otherwise it does not feel so secure.

Find Ford's warranty position very odd. When we have other manufacturers giving 3yr and in Hyundai 5 year they only offer 1 year plus this extra dealer thing with tons of loopholes for them to wriggle out of. Not impressed with that frankly.

Thats all the negatives I can find so far, give it another 50k and I'll be ranting along with the rest.

Oil for Latest Turbo Diesels - Jon Cunningham-Smith
Mike,

I agree with dude, even if you are not going to drive it hard!

This is because Synthetic oil doesn't deterioate in the way that mineral oil does. In turn, it won't 'coke up' and go to carbon around the Turbo oilways and cause problems etc.

I suppose Toyota are new to performance Diesels, so they may not know much about synth oils. Insist on synthetic. Remember though that synthetic oil can make an engine take longer to 'bed-in'.

In Summary: Drive the car, don't let it drive you. Make decent use of the revs during the early days without caning it. Make the engine pull you along without labouring it.

Good luck and enjoy your Avensis.

Cheers - Jon S
That is all fair comment John, but surely one has to take note of what the car manufacturer says, at least whilst warranty is in force. Otherwise I can imagine a scenario involving weasel words in order to get out of a warranty issue.

Oil for Latest Turbo Diesels - RussVarley
Absolutely, use what the manufacturer recommends, especially during the warranty period.
Oil for Latest Turbo Diesels - Jon Cunningham-Smith
Good advice - Flat in Fifth and Russ. MIKE - DON'T JEOPARDISE YOUR WARRANTY!!!!

Mike - Check with another Toyota dealer and get their view on the subject. The garage may not be right.

Perhaps I'll get Diesel Car magazine to lobby Toyota to use synthetic oils if using mineral is standard practice.

I feel it is important to use synth or at least semi-synth in a modern DI diesel engine, particularly with the long oil change intervals the manufacturers seem to go for!

Perhaps if Mike can check his Avensis handbook as well(there is normally a section on recommended oil to use) and see what it says there.

Let us know how you get on Mike.

Flat in fifth and Russ - Thanks for savings Mike's bacon.

Cheers and Kind regards to all - Jon S