Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Keith S
I see the Mondeo 1.8 has been voted What Car Used Car of the Year.

www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2002450967,00.html

Any comments?
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Dave_TD
If you don't pay more than 500 quid for one, maybe....
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Miller
I bought one recently, and as far as I am concerned the only difference between it and my cousins BMW 3 series is the badge.
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Blue {P}
Some people accuse me of bias in favour of Fords ;) but I've only heard good things about them, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at one, in fact, if I can afford it, it will probably be my next car, although I'm more likely to get a Focus...
Funny you should mention the Focus Blue Oval, that is what I originally was after as well, but even the earliest 98 models were going for nearly 7k at dealers, my mondeo offered the same spec but 2k cheaper compared to the equivalent age Focus.
So I take it you like the Mondy then? Which one you got? and more importantly to help my decision making, (even though it'll be about 4 years away) is what kind of mpg do you get around the city? Beleive it or not, I don't know ANYONE who owns a new Mondeo, despite it been a top seller, so I've got no one to ask :(
I have a 98 mk2 1.8, get about 35mpg mainly half urban/half 80mph so reckon on low 30's around town. Built like a tank compared to my old ZX, not looking forward to spending £70 per tyre though! :-(
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Crombster
I take it the 1.8TD didn't win any similar awards? My dad bought one a few months ago and I'm not terribly impressed (pre-facelift).
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - bigbro62
Nothing wrong with 1.8TDI at 300 miles to £20 worth of diesel, you can keep all the fancy cars, give me Ford any time, don't know about the new TDCI think they are getting to complicated with all this drive by wire business.
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Dave E
I have had a 4 door saloon 1.8, bought "new" from Motorpoint in August last year. The most satisfying car I have ever owned. No problems yet,apart from a recall and a few build quality issues - all minor and all put right with no awkward moments from the local dealer regarding the car's origin - ROI. Well deserved of the title.
Ahh.. Motorpoint's come from ROI as well do they? I got my Fiesta at Trade Sales and all their Fords come from the ROI. I wouldn't buy the Focus Freedom from them though, that particualr model isn't available in the UK, so I would have thought insurance may be a problem? It's cheap enough though, £7,995 for a new Focus. Not bad.
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Pugugly {P}
When I retire (or perhaps before) and have to buy my own car it will be 3-beemer though.

Yes I know they are made in South Africa, then so was my maternal Great Grandfather and he lived 'til he was 96 survived two world wars and never needed as much as a re-bore.
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Ran on diesel and regularly serviced, then?
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Craggyislander
My mondeo is a 97 Verona its got expensive 205 55 15 tyres with alloys but apart from a slight prob with the screen washers and the battery blowing up last week I have to say its the best car I have ever had - experience ranges from Vauxhall through Rover through to Toyota.
Its been exceptionally reliable,great to drive and good on juice (its the 1800 zetec e)
Its my first ever Ford and when I was growing up I can remember my Dad and his family saying how poor Ford's were for reliability and quality - well they have obviously improved judging by the TUV rating for the Focus in Germany and the subject of this post.
Would I buy another? Definitely - I haven't driven the new Mondeo yet but its on the list :o)
Depreciation is the only downer I suppose I bought mine in June 2000 for £7.5K so it had dropped a fair bit from new before I even saw it on the forecourt but there ya go..
Tell you what, I'll swap your Mondy for my shiney new Fiesta, just ignore the post I made about 10 minutes ago ;)
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - rg
do you mean "re-boer"?
Sorry I think you've lost me, but then it may be because it's getting late and I don;t understand anymore! :)

Please elaborate a little...

Blue
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Soupytwist
The actual model they choose as overall winner is the LX and I’m currently driving round in one of them. Perfectly good cars with the exception of the fact that you can’t unlock the doors from anywhere other than the driver’s side door handle (no remote central locking or key holes on any other door).

Not the end of the world you might think but if like me you’ve no off street parking and are regularly putting a child in a car seat in the car it makes it a nightmare to have to keep going round to the driver’s side door. This alone makes it unsuitable as a family car IMHO.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - blank
The actual model they choose as overall winner is the LX
and I’m currently driving round in one of them.

I hope you're not driving whilst typing!!

Perfectly
good cars with the exception of the fact that you can’t
unlock the doors from anywhere other than the driver’s side door
handle (no remote central locking or key holes on any other
door).

Mine's an LX too - 1999. I have a remote key and locks both driver and passenger side. Strange!
Not the end of the world you might think but if
like me you’ve no off street parking and are regularly putting
a child in a car seat in the car it makes
it a nightmare to have to keep going round to the
driver’s side door. This alone makes it unsuitable as a
family car IMHO.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Why not just get remote locking fitted? It would cost next to nothing in the grand scheme of things, better still, you could have it installed with an alarm and protect it a little bit more... I fitted remote locks to my last Fiesta with a kit that I bought for £47! Well, I say I did it, but it was really my dad who fitted them, I just paid for the thing... :)
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Richard Hall
Early Mondeos have definitely descended to banger status - last week I saw one on an M plate with the worst home respray job you could ever imagine. It looked as though it had been painted with jelly. But I have yet to see one trailing blue smoke or running rough, which has to be a good sign. And I haven't seen a rusty one either. K reg Sierras - rotting fast. K reg Mondeos - still look as solid as the day they were made. Were the bodies galvanised at the factory?

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
I don't think they were actually galvanised, they just had much better paint etc. (I think) My mate's 94 L reg has one small patch of rust in a rear wheelarch, but it's not a big problem, and in general, they seem to stand up to rust quite well...
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Dave_TD
M reg estate, 328000m, no rust at all! Just the front suspension and engine wore out.
How many K-reg (or newer) Mondeos have you seen abandoned at the roadside? I've yet to see one. How many K-reg (or newer) Vx Cavaliers? There's two within a mile of my house right now...
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - T Lucas
I remember the first used Mondeos that we were selling in about 1994/5 with about 70,000 miles and we always used to describe them as 'too good to be a Ford'and really that for me summed them up quite nicley at the time.Probably the first Ford that wasnt built to be 'just good enough' but to be a better car than the opposition.Been some good Fords since aswell.
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Keith S
There are two places where my Mondeo is rusting.

Behind the front mudflaps. (The Ford ones seem to be badly designed.)

On the sills where a certain fast fit garage put the trolley jack with no pad :( .
If I had any way to prove that then I think I would be suing them :)

Blue
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - stevie nicks
I own a mondeo LX. Mk1 and i have had nothing but trouble with it for the last 3 months....before that it was a superb car, now everything seems to be going wrong with it!!!! and yes it does trail blue smoke now and again grrrrrrr
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Soupytwist
Because it's owned by Hertz and it's a long term rental I've been given by work.

How come the 99 model had remote locking and the new one doesn't ?
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - kithmo
I've covered 30,000 miles in my Mk 1 95 1.8 lx in the last 5 years (which had 38,000 miles on when bought) and it has cosy me nothing except a water pump (it didn't fail, a slight leak was discovered when I was changing the cambelt) and wear and tear items.
Full list:
4 sets of plugs, 2 sets of leads, 4 tyres, 1 exhaust, 1 cambelt and tensioners, water pump, coolant renewal, pair of front suspension wishbones (rubbers worn), tracking, 4 pairs of wiper blades, brake fluid renewal, rear brake shoes replaced and an oil and filter change every 6 months. all in all a very cheap 5 years motoring (I do the work myself).
I was so impressed with the cheap cost of running the mondeo that I have now upgraded to the new Mk 3 in the form of a 2.5 V6 Ghia X at 15 months old and I am even more impressed. Like the reviews say "if you liked the old Mondeo then you'll love this one" it IS an excellent car.
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - simonsmith473©
Not my cup of tea, still other people might like them. Fix Or Repair Daily (FORD)
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Stonk
Recently owning a mondeo has made me realise how much I miss my Audi! :(
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - blank
Why?

Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - Stonk
why? I guess it's the quality, solid feel, smooth ride. To me the Mondeo hasn't changed all that much from the Granada I used to have. I will be changing back to an Audi asap even though the Audi might be slightly older for the same money but then again it will hold it's value.
Mondeo - Used Car of the Year - TrevorP
Mondeo was a "cut above average" mass-market car.

But NOT the 1.8TD - DOG of an engine.

New TDCi is MUCH more refined, but they HAVE to screw something up don't they?

from www.car-seat-data.co.uk/ -

New Mondeo - Wheel offset 3 (as in BAD - avoid)
Wheel angle 2 (undesirable)
Pedal offset 1 (noticeable)

comments:- serious layout problems, retrograde step!