Oil change? Too difficult? - oilrag
Here`s one person who won`t be handing over large chunks of money for oil changes. I`ve never been more impressed by a mechanic and tutor...

tinyurl.com/l53sx4

Oil change? Too difficult? - Bill Payer
I think she may well have been trained by a large national fast-fit organisation.
Pity she wasn`t allocated a longer leverage torque wrench to compensate for weak muscles
Oil change? Too difficult? - gordonbennet
Heh heh, get them hands mucky, good girl and top feller Dad.

That`s what I thought GB. I noticed a little rust under there too...
Oil change? Too difficult? - drbe
Why wasn't she wearing a pair of my disposable nitrile gloves? £8.04 per 100 at Machine Mart.

Which oil was she using? El Cheapo from Asda, or Mobil bestest.

;-)

Edited by drbe on 13/08/2009 at 20:56

Oil change? Too difficult? - FotheringtonThomas
Why wasn't she wearing a pair of ... disposable nitrile gloves?

That's what I thought. Contaminated oil is a risk.
Oil change? Too difficult? - Micro
Why wasn't she wearing a pair of my disposable nitrile gloves? £8.04 per 100 at
Machine Mart.
Which oil was she using? El Cheapo from Asda or Mobil bestest.
;-)

You can get 1000 for £33.50.

That's £3.35 per box of 100.

www.hygienedepot.co.uk/p2149--PRO-Ultragrip-Blue-N...x
Oil change? Too difficult? - Hamsafar
This must be her older sister.. They should wear gloves!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhYYNqCusbY&feature=player...e

Edited by Hamsafar on 13/08/2009 at 21:04

Even if that kid never changes oil again, she`s always going to be able to actually visualize the minimal effort involved. It will give food for thought if standing in front of a service desk and they quote £150 for an oil change.
That said, bet she never pays for an oil change as an adult.
I noticed a little rust under there too...

Ah methinks a clue to a recent thread picture..;)

A Fumoto would have made life easier...
What did they use on yours GB?

Edited by oilrag on 13/08/2009 at 21:15

Oil change? Too difficult? - David Horn
There's no such thing as minimal effort involved when it comes to the cover that clips on underneath the Passat engine.

Oil change: 20 mins.
Putting the cover back on: 1.5 hours.

I'm going to get one of those things that sucks the oil out for the next change.
There's no such thing as minimal effort involved when it comes to the cover that
clips on underneath the Passat engine.

DH, can you reach the sump plug by hand without removing the cover?

If so a Fumoto quick drain oil valve might be an answer, you can buy one with a hose nipple already fitted, and attach a short piece of hose just protruding through the cover and leave it permanently attached, then just open the valve and drain straight into container.
tinyurl.com/yr6vsy
What did they use on yours GB?

Are you referring to the pro rusproofing Oily?

If so it was thick black professional waxoyl underbody on the visible underside, heavily coated too, with clear pro waxoyl spray injected into cavities, inner wings, inside doors, tailgate and especially chassis.
I had already been treating visible paint deterioration prior to this as it became apparent, much easier when you can just slide underneath without jacking.

SWMBO says the smell is just starting to go.

Following the picture in your other thread and realising in horror that the twin cab in question was 55 plate (ludicrous in this day), we are extremely pleased to have taken steps from day 1 to help alleviate the problem.

Not cheap, but then the vehicle wasn't either and it's got to last a long time.

I'll try and post a piccy at some point.
Oil change? Too difficult? - kiss (keep it simple)
I've got one of the Pela oil extractors. It worked a treat on the Audi A4 so it should be OK on a Passat. Also fine on a Mazda6 ( both petrol engines), but a no-go on 1.4 VW Polo and Golf. It won't fit down the dipstick hole!
Oil change? Too difficult? - Alby Back
Dear Bretheren....I beg forgiveness for I have sinned.

I paid for a garage to service my car today.....

I am so very very sorry...........

;-)
Well.. I never buy shoes that need polishing/spray coating these days Hump - that must be a bigger sin ;-)

GB, Yes, the rustproofing. Look forward to your pics

Undertrays.
I cut an access hole in the Doblos... then, later, bought an oil sucker. It`s been a good investment.

Edited by oilrag on 13/08/2009 at 22:24

Oil change? Too difficult? - astrabob
I thought it was one of those health and safety training videos.

You know - no overalls, hair not tied back, no latex gloves, wrong tool for job causing injury.
Oil change? Too difficult? - wazza
Should always wear a safety glasses. Imagine if dirt fell into her eye she might try to get up and bang her head on the sump etc
Oil change? Too difficult? - dieselfitter
> then, later, bought an oil sucker. It`s been a good investment.

Oilrag, what kind of sucker do you use? I plan to change the oil in my Audi every 10K (not 20K as Audi's extended service suggests). Like HJ, I refuse to believe any oil properly lasts that long. But getting the 'tamper-proof' cover off is not practical on the drive, and I've heard that putting it back is a 2-man job.

Oil change? Too difficult? - Number_Cruncher
In the same way, I wouldn't be easily parted from my oil vacuum pump.

I use a Pela, but, I think having the oil really hot makes more difference than what brand you use. It takes ages if the oil isn't fully hot.
Oil change? Too difficult? - Old Navy
I use a "Pela 6000" extractor, it has a 6 litre capacity and is very effective. As N_C says hot oil helps speed the extraction.

Edited by Old Navy on 13/08/2009 at 22:59

Oil change? Too difficult? - wazza
I've got one of the Pela oil extractors. ...>>

those are great devices. Used to remember petrol garages having machines to pump oil out of engines from dipstick tube.

The downside is the neglect of oil filter change if it is accessible from beneath the car :-(
Oil change? Too difficult? - brum
Whoever made that video was irresponsible.

I would never let a child of that age crawl under a car, irregardless of how secure those wheel ramps would seem. The potential for serious injury and developing long term illness (inc cancers) from contact with old engine oil are just far too great.

"Oilrag, what kind of sucker do you use? "

The label has come off Dieselfitter - I`ve had it for years. It`s a tall, 7+ litre ribbed cylinder - I bought it from a motor factors. I suspect the same product is sold under different names.

Edited by oilrag on 14/08/2009 at 09:21

Oh.. found it

tinyurl.com/orz2fd

Edited by oilrag on 14/08/2009 at 09:29

Oil change? Too difficult? - SpamCan61 {P}
I use one of these from Screwfix on my bangernomics Vauxhall fleet these days:-

www.screwfix.com/prods/21663/Van-Car-Accessories/M...r

Like NC says the main thing it to make sure the oil is hot first.
Oil change? Too difficult? - Old Navy
I use one of these from Screwfix on my bangernomics Vauxhall fleet these days:-

That looks like a rebranded "Pela 6000".

Edited by Old Navy on 14/08/2009 at 09:45

Oil change? Too difficult? - Cliff Pope
That's an incredibly stupid way of loosening a tight bolt. It risks damaging the spanner, rounding the head, and as she found, largely fails to apply maximum force effectively.
If you are going to hit a spanner to shift a nut, a wooden mallet works much better.

It was silly lying next to the bowl, especially letting the oil splash about 2 feet. If she was draining it when hot (no sound on this computer) then the oil should have been scalding.

I never get my hands dirty doing an oil change. I loosen the plug with a hexagonal ring spanner in my case (or a proper square head ring spanner if appropriate), then get out from under the car and lean under. If you hold the plug from the side you can whip it away after undoing the last bit of thread, and don't get a drop on the hand.
The whole thing was a Health & Safety nightmare, and she wasn't far away from smashing her teeth in with the hammer.

If it had been filmed in the UK she'd probably be in care by now.
Oil change? Too difficult? - mike hannon
I think it was meant to be humorous. It certainly made me smile. Has nobody ever put a hammer to an open-ended spanner?
And none of the dire things mentioned above did actually happen to her.
Her caring parents might have taken every possible 'health and safety' precaution, then afterwards she might have walked under a bus.
But she didn't.
I'm beginning to get an inkling of where the 'cut down the trees so conkers don't fall on people's heads' thinking is coming from.
And none of the dire things mentioned above did actually happen to her.

She did get oil all over herself.

I took it to be an attempt at humour too - if you knew nothing, you couldn't do an oil and filter change from watching that video, and it wasn't by any stretch of the imagination done properly.

Kids have unforeseen accidents but the child was placed into harms way by a stupid parent.
Oil change? Too difficult? - SpamCan61 {P}
>> I use one of these from Screwfix on my bangernomics Vauxhall fleet these days:-
>>
That looks like a rebranded "Pela 6000".

Having had a quick Google it certainly does ON, and the Pela is availble cheaper from a few places.