Pick up replacement - Martin Devon
A good mate of mine needs a Pick-up to replace an ageing Skoda jobby. He carries Diesel so a van will not do. Wants to spend 4-5k and to keep the thing 4-5 years. 4x4 not essential. Any thoughts here?

Regards........MD
Pick up replacement - captain chaos
Toyota Hi Lux perhaps? Pretty bulletproof apparently
Pick up replacement - gordonbennet
As he's got a small pick up already i'm assuming he doesn't need rear seats which is good as used single cab pick ups are usually cheaper.

I see quite a few Ranger's and Mazda's for sale quite cheap, though they are usually 4WD with the fuel penalty involved, but tough simple and reliable.
Navara's have a bit of a reputation for losing con rods on D22 and other faults on the D40.
Mate got a real bargain with a Outlaw L200 twin cab late last year, seems a good overall truck, and of course the Izusu pick up which i don't know any owners of so can't comment.

Agree with CC, Hilux's take some beating for reliability, but i'm biased owning a 2 year old.
You can find a 2WD hilux pick up, which is lower than the 4x4 model, but they are very rare and i know nowt about 'em.
The Hilux 3 and 4 are cheaper to buy now the Mk6 is established, good trucks too.

Pick up replacement - stunorthants26
Hilux isnt so well regarded for nothing and knowing people who have very old and battered ones that still have years of life left in them, I would say they are a well deserved default choice.
2 wheel drive would do him. I'll look at hilux's. He's not pooter litrate.

MD
Have sent him details of one in A/trader. Thanks....MD
Racking me bonce sure i've seen Mitsubishi and Mazda 2WD pick ups too...same as Hilux though very rare.

Know for a fact Mazda used to do a quite solid 1800 petrol 2 WD pick up some years ago....one came round a blind bend on the wrong side of the road up in the Lakes and head on straight into my mk1 Golf, you don't forget things like that.

As a good price guide my mate picked up an 03 (poss 04) Mitsi L200 4x4 Outlaw with 39K 12 months ago for £6K....lucky him as its worth about the same now, he needed one just as things were at rock bottom.
He also bought a Yaris diesel about 3 months before the credit crunch bit for a song too.

I should get the numbers off him really..;)
Pick up replacement - Alby Back
Mitsubishi "work" or something GB I think. Neighbour of mine has one. He's got a steel fabricating business. If I had a dog I'd walk round the block and have a look at it properly. Might still be a 4x4 not sure, but it's the cooking version of the L200 I think.
Mitsubishi "work" or something GB I think.

Don't know Humph, 2WD version are so rare of all the pick ups, i'm sure Proton offer a small one similar in size to those oh so handy Subaru farmers jobby's from some years ago.

Of all the hundreds of new larger pick ups i've delivered over the years, barely a handful were the lower 2WD versions.
Trouble with them is they really are hopeless in the winter without proper tyres.

Pick up replacement - Harleyman
The Proton's called the Jumbuck; no idea what they're like but they look quite neat.

Have just read a review and the only real downers were lack of ABS and airbags.

Agree with gb about poor traction in winter; my old GMC doesn't venture out much in salty weather but a couple of sandbags are essential in the back if I do!

I see quite a few Ford Rangers and the like about down here; pretty sure they're Mazda-based and seem quite popular with the water companies, council and the like; might be a worthwhile punt at auction.

Edited by Harleyman on 12/08/2009 at 00:55