02 2.0 Engine Cuts Out - al189
My car is the 110 BHP HDi with 90k on the clock. Yesterday when my wife was travelling she stopped at the services at the half way point of a 150 mile journey home. When she rejoined the motorway the car lost all power and she had to get to the hard shoulder sharpish. She then left it for a while before trying again. In first and second she was fine but when she changed to third it died again. She left it for a while and then managed three miles at normal speed and it then happened again and she was recovered. I took it out last night and it happened twice so I MoT style max revved it and it travelled for about 6 miles with no trouble. This morning I cleaned the air filter and drained the fuel filter. I then revved it again and took it out. It went for about three miles before cutting out. I then came home with it cutting out anything between 100m and then a full two miles home.

Sometimes the anti pollution fault comes on and sometimes it doesn't. When it does it does not go into limp mode and the ESP light doesn't come on like it normally does when I've had an engine light. Does anyone have any ideas of any quick wins that I can try before putting into a garage on Monday. I would normally try and fix this myself over however long it would take but need to have it fixed for next Saturday to visit relatives so will need it to be repaired by then.

Thanks Alan
02 2.0 Engine Cuts Out - al189
Got it back yesterday. It turned out that the pipe on the inlet to the turbo had gone soft at one end and was sucking itself flat when it started to get warm. This stopped all air getting into the turbo and the engine was cutting out.