What feature of the car do you never use? - ifithelps
Glancing at the dashboard of the CC3 the other day, I saw a rotary switch I've never used and probably never will.

The thing that moves the headlights up and down.

It's for heavy loads, isn't it?

I hardly ever carry heavy loads, if I did it probably wouldn't be in the dark, and if it was, would the lights point so far skyward, they would need winding down?

There's barely any play in the suspension, so it just won't happen.

I will never use the electric headlamp adjuster.

What feature on your car will you never use?

What feature of the car do you never use? - 659FBE
Trip computer
Dashboard lamp "rheostat" (electronically controlled these days)
Headlamp level control
Most radio features such as recording traffic reports when vehicle parked
Service indicator (I decide, not it)
Cup holders
Cigar lighter - but I use the socket
Lights behind visors
Windows up/down on key fob

There must be loads of other idiocies on this car. I bought it for its efficient diesel engine and space.

What feature of the car do you never use? - Robin Reliant
Sunroof. Opened it once when I bought the car over five years ago, not touched it since.

Cassette player. Last played a tape in the car sometime around 1985.

Dashlight dimmer.

Rear view mirror and indicators when I'm on deliveries.

Edited by Robin Reliant on 07/08/2009 at 20:45

What feature of the car do you never use? - Hamsafar
Airbags.
What feature of the car do you never use? - adverse camber
Sunroof. Opened it once when I bought the car over five years ago not touched
it since.

What do you do when it rains?
;)
What do you do when it rains?
;)

I have a flat cap.
What feature of the car do you never use? - Alby Back
Y'see, I use my sunroof a lot. Tilted when cold and open when warm. I love the feeling of fresh air. Only time I close it is on motorways and when parked of course. Different folks different strokes.

I remember a thread on here where someone mentioned they never used the roof rails on their estate car. I use mine most weekends to attach my bike rack.

However, I never feel the need to use my heated seats or my remote boot release. We're all different, thank someone.....

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 07/08/2009 at 21:22

Humph,

You regularly carry loads.

Do you ever use the headlamp leveller?

What feature of the car do you never use? - Rattle
CD player - I like to be able to hear my engine and traffic, not a tinny version of the Buzzcocks.

Headlight level - Maybe in winter I might use this but my car dosn't really carry much loads

Instrunment panal dimmer switch

Sunroof

What feature of the car do you never use? - scouseford
The button that changes the temperature gauge from Fahrenheit to Celsius. I much prefer to know that it is 50* F rather than 10* C (which it seems to have been for much of this 'summer'!!).
Edit - In reply to Iffithelps -

No to be honest. Never been flashed either. I do drive on the Euopean mainland fairly regularly though and if travelling at night notch them down a couple of points in deference to the conditions. Never been puled up by Le Fuzz / Der Pigs / La Rozzerini for not having beam benders or whatever either for what it's worth. Much ado etc.....

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 07/08/2009 at 21:37

What feature of the car do you never use? - alfatrike
the last four times i've been through a french port there have been a couple of french plod sat in a car at the exit of the port giving out fines to anyone without beam benders. just using black plastic over part of the lens is not good enough.

save yourself a lot of money and spend a couple of quid and get some AND don't forget to take them off when you get back.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/08/2009 at 01:49

What feature of the car do you never use? - Martin Devon
>> What do you do when it rains?
>> ;)
>>
I have a flat cap.

That must be handy for the Cat!

MD
What feature of the car do you never use? - xtrailman
CC and auto lights, AM radio
What feature of the car do you never use? - mike hannon
Cigar lighter, cupholders. My cars don't have many gizmos though.
What feature of the car do you never use? - madf
All mirrors.
Indicators
Horn
Lights

All superfluous to a modern driver...
I can proudly say I have not had to use my horn once, I see a danger in advance and drop back well before I need to use my horn :).

Mirrors is a weak spot but I am slowly getting much better at constantly scanning my mirrors while also keeping an eye on the road ahead.
What feature of the car do you never use? - daveyjp
Autowipers on the x type as they are rubbish, Audi ones were excellent. Autolights aren't as good either.
What feature of the car do you never use? - rtj70
Headlight adjustment may be needed if you have people in the back too I would think (well maybe not in the CC3 if they have legs)... mine auto adjusts because of Xenons... goes and hides.

The bits I hope not to use:

- Airbags
- EBD
- ABS
- Crumple zones
- Traction control / DSC

Although I think DSC kicked in during the icy weather.

Edited by rtj70 on 07/08/2009 at 22:59

What feature of the car do you never use? - Altea Ego
Used the Airbags % Seat belt pre tensioners.

What feature of the car do you never use? - andyp
ipod connector, i never even got around to buying a Sony Walkman !
What feature of the car do you never use? - movilogo
Couldn't think of any other than airbags!

ABS was activated few times [could feel it] during icy winter.

Have used every functions of radio/CD etc. as I did test all as per user's manual.

Used headlamp level adjuster quite often - I often carry 1+3 adults with luggage!

Ah, now remember, the only thing I never used were the roof rails!
What feature of the car do you never use? - Cliff Pope
Electric bum warmers
Dashboard dimmer rheostat
Vanity mirror
Red line on the tachometer
Child locks
Hook for hanging jacket on coathanger
Grab handle for heaving overweight slob out of car seat
Keeping gloves in glove compartment
Those little slots you put coins in.

The parcel shelf.
What feature of the car do you never use? - Devolution
Never use my cruise control... would probably be better for fuel economy etc, but just can't sit at a constant speed with hardly any input for mile after mile.
What feature of the car do you never use? - Mick Snutz
Ive never used my car's top speed.
What feature of the car do you never use? - tack
I use the headlap level control on a regular basis in the hope of annoying the person in front as much as he/she is annoying me with their rear fogs.
What feature of the car do you never use? - Westpig
Voice activation for stereo/phone/climate.....despite spending over an hour outside my house when i first got the car programming in my voice...i often can't remember the exact commands needed, complete waste of time

I would never use a heated seat, but her indoors uses it constantly, so that would need to stay on the options list

I love having a sunroof and use it as Humph does above

Found a curry/kebab/chinese hook on the glove box the other day....not bad seeing as i've had my car for 7 years...and never knew it was there

even the switch on the key fob that opens all the windows and sunroof in one go, is handy, so on hot days you can quickly get some air through it, so that you don't temporarily fry until the air con kicks in

there's a screw top thing under the bonnet marked 710, i've no idea what that's used for, never needed to use it...;-)
What feature of the car do you never use? - Number_Cruncher
>>The thing that moves the headlights up and down.

I've never used this on my W124 - being an estate, it's fitted with self levelling suspension anyway. Mb could have, and perhaps should have deleted the headlamp levelling on the estates.

What feature of the car do you never use? - LikedDrivingOnce
- Automatic headlights - I know when it is dark enough for the lights.
- Automatic Wipers - not sensitive enough and dealer wont fix 'em, so they are useless.
- Button that turns the Dynamic Traction Control off.
- The 0.000001 candlepower emergency torch in the glove compartment.
- 12v Power socket in the boot.
- 99% of the radio functions.
- Indicators (Well it is a BMW) :-)
What feature of the car do you never use? - Stuartli
Loved the airbags gag...:-)

The main one is the other half advising me which way or direction to go.
What feature of the car do you never use? - bathtub tom
ABS.

I tried it once on my 1.5 Amera on a quiet, dry road on a warm day (it's got 195/55-16s fitted as standard!).

It hurt, Oh how it hurt. I cracked a rib once, I know what hurt feels like.
What feature of the car do you never use? - Blue {P}
I can't think of a single feature on my car that I don't use, if it's there then I tend to find a reason to use it as I'm a gadget freak!

My most rarely used one is the sunroof but even that has been cracked open when parked 4 or 5 times this year, apart from that everything else is regularly used, coat hangers, vanity lights and heated seats included!

What feature of the car do you never use? - crazydrive
Mine would probably be the cup holders, cigarette lighter and the heated seats.
What feature of the car do you never use? - Pugugly
4WD !
And here's another one - those stupid lights under the bumper.

I've tried 'em in fog - they make no difference, other than to illuminate the fog more clearly.

I've tried 'em at night - they do illuminate the yard of road in front of the car more clearly, but by that time it's too late for the pheasant/cat/dog/baby.

They're useless.
What feature of the car do you never use? - ForumNeedsModerating
The last (or top) third of the speedometer.
What feature of the car do you never use? - b308
Of the gadgets, I've never used the fold down armrest between the front seats as it gets in the way of using the handbrake lever... stupid piece of design, looking at the extras lists I'd father rather have spent the money on traction control than that waste of space... but it was standard on the 3...

Edited by b308 on 08/08/2009 at 10:19

What feature of the car do you never use? - bintang
The internal boot ("luggage room") release of my Hyundai i30 - internal to the boot, that is -as I spend very little time in there.
What feature of the car do you never use? - TheOilBurner
I'm with Blue here, I always have cars loaded with lots of toys and use them all whenever I can.

I even managed to use the facility in my C5 for raising the suspension way up high, when I was directed to a bumpy overflow car park in a field... probably didn't really *need* to, but it was fun! It did wipe some of the smug looks off the faces of 4x4 owners too...

The lower cars on sports suspension were grounding slightly with some disturbing noises, so it probably did help raising her up... :)
What feature of the car do you never use? - bathtub tom
The four hooks in the floor of the luggage compartment.

When I bought the car, four years ago, I thought 'that's useful' and went and bought an elasticated luggage net.

Never used them.
What feature of the car do you never use? - Dynamic Dave
The rear cup holders.
The ashtrays for their intended purpose. Mine are used for store a small amount of Fox's glacier fruits.
The rest of the features (and there are quite a lot as my car is high spec'd) all get used.
What feature of the car do you never use? - Harleyman
The back seats. Except when the wife is with me then she needs one to drive! ;-)
What feature of the car do you never use? - Marc
53 Vectra :

Headlamp level control
Numerous trip computer functions - permanently set on fuel range
Rear window winders
Both cigarette lighters
Both ashtrays
Front fog lights
Cupholders front and rear
Rapid demist function
Front armrest - it's too low

05 Galaxy :

Headlamp level control
Switch that slightly opens rearmost driver's side window
Ashtray
Cig lighter
Front fog lights
Front cupholders
Power outlet in boot
Picnic tables

Set and forget for both :

Instrument lighting
Door mirrors

Edited by Marc on 08/08/2009 at 20:46

What feature of the car do you never use? - OldSock
Self-cancelling indicators.
What feature of the car do you never use? - redviper
I have the dash light level set to max, never touched it since, and never will

i never use the headlight level controll

What feature of the car do you never use? - Brian Tryzers
I have the dash light level set to min and never touch it. }:---)

I use the headlight control to set the lights to their lowest when I just need them to be seen - e.g. rain in daylight. Much more visible than parking lights (of course) but less risk of dazzling other drivers than normal dipped beam.

Someone else mentioned the Traction Control Off button. I know it's there but I wouldn't dare, not when the car can still spin a wheel in second gear with the TC on.

The Fabia we used to have had an air-conditioned glovebox. Sounds fabulous - but after the car had been in the sun for ten minutes with the engine off, it was as warm in there as anywhere else. Not the place to put your chocolate.

There's a button on the Volvo radio marked PTY. I've no idea what it's for.

Edited by WillDeBeest on 09/08/2009 at 11:33

What feature of the car do you never use? - the swiss tony
PTY is programme type.

ie it allows users to find similar programming by genre, rock, pop, news etc.
What feature of the car do you never use? - captain chaos
I thought it meant Proprietary Limited Company...
What feature of the car do you never use? - Bagpuss
Headlight switch - lights come on automatically.
Wiper switch - wipers come on automatically.
Manual gearbox override - gears change automatically.

Modern technology is wonderful.

Only thing I've never got to grips with is the voice control system which doesn't understand me. Probably because it's female.
Mirrors - other people swerve/brake to avoid me
indicators - as above
brakes when parking - other peoples cars stop me
engine oil dipstick - theres a red light on the dash to tell me when low
parking brake - in traffic I use the footbrake, when parked other peoples cars/my gears.
seat belt - Ive got airbags
ashtray - well I do use that when the floor is full.......

;-)
What feature of the car do you never use? - Rover P6B
Manual gearbox override - gears change automatically.

Don't you ever find yourself frustrated at having all control of the gears in the hands of a computer? I know this much, as most of the roads round where I live are tight, windy B-roads, that an auto would be slower and thirstier... surely you'd rather at least use your override. Oh, and autos are NBG when you're being annoyed by the chavvy Vauxhall Nova at the lights, so you can't use your better car's greater power to leave it standing - they insist on making you start very gently, which isn't always what you want to do. Likewise, manual is much better when starting on slippery surfaces. Manual was best from the word 'go' (pun not intended) and always will be best.

Me? I never use the cassette player - and I don't like self-cancelling indicators. "I" decide when to stop indicating, not the car! Also, I only ever use the aircon when the weather really demands it - I do try to avoid using it, as it does have an impact on power and fuel economy. Curiously, though, I do like the odd gimmick - window control on the key fob, my parents' BMW Tourings' separately-opening rear windscreen, tailgates which close themselves at the press of a button... I could go on. Oh, and I don't ever use the front wheels to power the car along... but I'd best not re-ignite the FWD vs RWD debate/war.

Edited by Webmaster on 10/08/2009 at 02:11

What feature of the car do you never use? - CGNorwich
thought it meant Proprietary Limited Company...

and Polyester Texturised Yarn apparently. You really need to keep up with TLAs these days (Three Letter Acronyms)
naw... TLA is Teacher Learning Academy
What feature of the car do you never use? - oldgit
Oh dear. some of your are so very boring. On my new MK6 Golf I try to use as many features as I can even though the Auto sensing wipers are switched off until I detect rain and then let them do their work. If I don't do this then sometimes a dry wipe can occur for no apparent reason
Love the Auto Headlights, DRL's and Sunroof and the Multifunction display where many features can be tweaked, if required. I have also connected up a 4GB USB memory stick containing about 100 Classical CD albums, to the MDI.
All this and I'm and old fogey but obviously 'with it' compared with some here!
I have also connected up a 4GB USB memory stick containing
about 100 Classical CD albums to the MDI.
All this and I'm and old fogey but obviously 'with it' compared with some here!

>>

I'm probably even older so what is an MDI please? I have some kind of electronic connection in the armrest locker of my 2008 Hyundai i30 but can't see how to plug a USB device into it. It would be great to have music restored, now that cassettes are no more and CDs so awkward to change on the move.

What feature of the car do you never use? - 1400ted
I have my daughter's Citroen C8 here for a couple of days.
I noticed one thing I could never use when I drove it this morning........the speedo.
Set well forward in the middle of the dash, like the old Mini, this pathetic little dial is about 4 inches across with a tiny red needle. It's about 3 feet from a normal driver's eyes and reflects the light coming in from the nearside windows............a real points gatherer.
Ted
I have also connected up a 4GB USB memory stick containing
about 100 Classical CD albums to the MDI......
I'm probably even older so what is an MDI please? I have some kind of
electronic connection in the armrest locker of my 2008 Hyundai i30 but can't see how
to plug a USB device into it. It would be great to have music restored
now that cassettes are no more and CDs so awkward to change on the move.

Have forgottten what the acronym actually stand for, maybe Multidevice Interface or Musical Device Interface. However it enables you to connect your iPod or other MP3 player to the car's Audio system. But in fact, having bought one earlier this year, (A Zen Creative 8GB MP3 player) I found that putting my ripped CD's onto a simple USB stick was easier and cheaper to do and can remain in the armrest cubby hole where the necessary connectors are. Now, when I turn my radio on and select 'Media' I can scroll through all the Classical CD's contained in folders named after the works is question.
>> Have forgottten what the acronym actually stand for maybe Multidevice Interface or Musical Device Interface.

Classical CD's contained in folders named after the works is question.

MDI. Of course it stands for Multimedia Device Interface!!!

I found that putting my ripped CD's onto a simple USB stick was
easier and cheaper to do and can remain in the armrest cubby hole where the
necessary connectors are. Now when I turn my radio on and select 'Media' I can
scroll through all the Classical CD's contained in folders named after the works is question.

Thanks, I will see if I can do this.
What feature of the car do you never use? - L'escargot
I never use the horn. I'd had my current car about 6 months before I remembered to check whether the horn worked or not!
Crumple zones...
I never use the horn.

With you there L'escargot. I really can't remember ever using my horn. Never felt the need.

I could have used it today as a reprimand had I been bothered to I suppose. I was entering a four way dual carriageway roundabout to turn right in lane two. Car alongside me in lane one piloted by an elderly gent set off slightly before me and proceeded to cut across my bows into my lane before diving back into lane one to go straight on. Caused me to brake smartly and nearly resulted in the young lady following me getting into my boot. Don't really enjoy that sort of thing at the best of times but with three mountain bikes on the roof I particularly didn't take any joy from testing the strength of the racks.

I guess I could have indulged in a bit of tooting at him for nearly sideswiping my front wing and her for being too close behind me but it would almost certainly have never occured to either of them that they had done anything untoward. There is an amount of truth in the "Sunday driver" rumour I find.

Sounding the horn may only have served to panic one of them into even more erratic behaviour.
What feature of the car do you never use? - Lud
Being British, we sound the thing only rarely and with discretion. Or most of us do, from beep-beep through a tuneful parp chord to the yobbish, overbearing bawl of a Mercedes 450 horn with an irate self-important git leaning on it.

No doubt there are individuals so discreet, so restrained, so rightly sceptical about the possible results of an attempt to criticise someone's driving or warning them of their presence with a boring monotonous sound, that they never press the horn button even in a brief bip-bip sort of way to warn that pedestrian reading a weighty tome as he crosses the road. I am not one of this saintly crew, and I have to say I am surprised to learn that HB claims to be one.

What, never ever HB? Surely in your youth a few times?

I must say I do it less and less, and I was never a horn man. But a horn says: here I am, something that might be needed sometimes.

I mourn the passage of the bicycle bell now the carphounds ride silently down the pavement at high speed.

Edited by Lud on 10/08/2009 at 01:12

What feature of the car do you never use? - loskie
Indicators.

love
BMW owner
What feature of the car do you never use? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I never use the function which switches on the hazard lights if I brake very VERY hard!
No pretentions to saintliness here Lud. On the contrary, I privately curse them to Hades. I have just never felt the need to even slightly raise my blood pressure over someone else's failings. It's their problem. Strikes me that while venting one's spleen at one idiot there is a fair chance you become distracted enough to fail to notice the next one. There are more of them than can be counted and they have no doubt had horns sounded at them on many occasions without that having improved their driving. I just try to stay out of their way.

Oh Brother.....

;-)
I will give the odd toot to someone, say, pulling out of a parking space, who I judge may not have seen me.
What feature of the car do you never use? - Sofa Spud
So far I've avoided using my cars' crumple zones! Touch wood!!

I once had an elderly but tidy Hillman Hunter 1725 saloon. It was about the nicest looking boring saloon and not bad apart from the steering being a bit woolly. Underneath the dashboard on the right of the steering column was a simple on-off switch which I assumed was wired to some accessory had been removed and I never gave it any thought. I never played with this switch when I was going along but I now suspect that, if I had, I would have discovered that my Billy Bunter was fitted with overdrive!!!!!!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 10/08/2009 at 11:26

What feature of the car do you never use? - Nsar
Cruise control - well not quite never, but it is for girls.

Any of the filler caps under the bonnet apart from water.
I use my cruise control regularly and last time I checked.......

Anyway, it's safer to have it on when you are trying to undo your flask, eat your sandwiches, have a cig and take a phone call......

;-)
What feature of the car do you never use? - runboy
I never use the vibrating massage function of the rear seats in my car.

Maybe I should. I just need to work out how I can drive from back there. Along with the built-in cool box I'll be a happy man.
Underneath the dashboard on the right of the steering column was a simple on-off switch
which I assumed was wired to some accessory had been removed and I never gave
it any thought. I never played with this switch when I was going along but
I now suspect that if I had I would have discovered that my Billy Bunter
was fitted with overdrive!!!!!!

More likely to be the switch for the Colonel Bogey air horns... ;-)
What feature of the car do you never use? - 007
The 5th wheel.
The toolkit supplied by the manufacturer to change the wheel, which doesn't need changing anyway because the tyres they supplied are Run-Flats.
What feature of the car do you never use? - henry k
The stop watch option.
24 hour clock option.
The CD player. ( I have no newer kit but do sometimes use the tape unit).
Four out of five seat belts - I am the only insured driver who drives my Mondeo so others use them.
The ashtray for ash and the cigar lighter except as a power source.
The front fog lights but they are illogically switched on before the rear fog lights.

Finally my special little tent peg thing on its pupose built in shelf in the boot.
see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23567
What feature of the car do you never use? - slowdown avenue
in reply to op . i use the headlight leveller when driving in poor daylight, in the belief that it wont dazzle so much.
What feature of the car do you never use? - bell boy
the top speed of 185mph :-(
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzxF-M2erx8
What feature of the car do you never use? - tiredeyes
Brakes
:-)
The back or front passenger seats.
I was going to put Cig Lighter/Ash tray - but although you get a Ash tray in my Vectra you dont get Cig lighters only "power points"

i dont use the stop watch thing thats on the computer thingymabob, nor am i particularly intersted in the mpg ive dont in the last 2000 miles, although it made a good conversation peice once.

I dont use the auto lights as i like to decide when its dark outstide, but the auto wipers you have no choice as thats the 1st option on the stalk but i quite like them.

i dont use the back seats either - did when i was 17 not any longer ;-)

Don't use the rear seats, really. I think I can count on the fingers of my left hand, the number of times I have had people sitting in the back of my cars in the last 10 years or so.
I don't generally like passengers at all as they tend to have little regard for your valued possession and tend to kick the door trims and generally mark the surfaces they they come into contact with.
If I see friends or neigbours standing at nearby bus stops I always go in the opposite direction to avoid contact with them.
What feature of the car do you never use? - David Horn
The button that inhibits the ultrasonic sensors on the alarm.

Re: Rattle and the CD player. I use mine and turn it up to cover any funny noises from the car!

Me neither, i think i pressed it once when i was looking around the car, and thats it, i dont use the "follow me home headlights" either, partly because i cant park right outside house.
What feature of the car do you never use? - astrabob
Rear fog lights.

They dazzle the driver behind and make sure that he can't see your brake lights.
What feature of the car do you never use? - Bromptonaut

Me too. Also the TA button on the radio which constantly interrupts my listening to announce traffic jams in Luton, Leicester, Oxford and Cambridge while I'm stationary and fuming by j2 on the M6.

Oh, and the English display on the Berlingo's centre console. Coffre Ouverte seems much more interesting than boot open!!
What feature of the car do you never use? - a900ss
I've never used the warning triangle in the boot.

My wife (who has a '51' Renault Megane) has never used her spare wheel, it is a brand new conti with all the rubber dimples still present where it came out of its press and never been driven on. (I haven't used my spare wheel in my last 5 cars either). I know that this ties in to a recent post about spacre wheels, cars that don't have one and people that won;t buy a car because it doesn't have one.
Thanks to Swiss Tony for enlightening me on the PTY button; sadly, knowing what it is hasn't encouraged me to use it but knowledge for its own sake is good. }:---)

The Volvo audio unit has another button, marked 'Dolby Prologic'. I do know what that one's for, but I don't use it any more. It probably does something immensely clever below the surface, but all it seems to achieve is to add a shrill, glassy, 'processed' quality to whatever CD is in the slot. Are there CDs specially encoded to benefit from this treatment? If so, I seem not to have any, and the CDs I do have sound much better with the thing switched off.
No problem WillDeBeest.
anything for a neighbour....
The Volvo I had with the Pro-logic had three settings: off, 3 channel and Pro-logic. Off was, well, off! 3 channel split the stereo signal into three distinct channels, using the centre speaker to balance the sound, Pro-Logic added to this by intelligently changing the sound in the rear speakers to create a more atmospheric sound.

To any unfortunates in the rear, with pro-logic on the sound is just muffled, but it does improve (IMHO) the sound in the front. It makes the sound warmer and rounder. I liked it!

If it sounds naff in your car, either you ears are fussier than mine or maybe it's not working correctly? Perhaps it was naff and I have low standards... :)
What feature of the car do you never use? - bell boy
i prefer haffler
to prologic
but then again i dont encompasse hd
In that case, OB, I'd expect the Prologic system to be quite sensitive to the size, shape, layout and acoustics of the car's interior, so it's entirely possible that what worked well in your S80 (IIRC) is not so effective in the smaller cabin of my S60 - or in the much bigger one of an XC90 for that matter. I wonder if they did any tuning of the Prologic settings for the different models that came equipped with the same HU-803 audio unit.

Or maybe we just have different (not right or wrong!) ideas of how music ought to sound.
}:---)
You must all have very quiet cars or like loud music!

Ideally, I'd like to listen to quiet, relaxing music in the car - but I just can't hear it for all of the other noises. (And I think of my car as being much quieter than average)

Funny thing is that you can enjoy quiet music more easily with a fairly high-powered audio system like the Volvo one because you can crank it up loud enough to overcome the noise of the car without it sounding strained and fatiguing. By contrast, our Toyota Verso is probably no noisier inside than the Volvo, but the feeble audio unit makes it very difficult to enjoy any kind of music properly because it always seems to be working so hard.

Hardest music of all to enjoy properly in a car is big orchestral works by the likes of Mahler; if you set the volume high enough for the quiet passages to be audible, the loud bits will melt your brain - which doesn't help concentration on the road. Chamber music works well - much less dynamic range to accommodate. And then there's Back in Black...

Ahem. I may be straying from the point.
What feature of the car do you never use? - 1400ted
Oh, my goodness ..guys.....It's a car, not the Albert Hall !
I've often wondered if all these ' improvements ' to car radois make a lot of difference when you factor in.
Road noise
Engine noise
Wind noise
Bangs from potholes and speed humps.
Trucks and buses passing or being passed
Etc,Etc.
I have a radio, it can play cassettes. Apart from that I know nowt about it.
I'm not sure I could improve the quality of my home copied, pre WW1 John McCormack, Enrico Caruso and similar wax recordings.
Classic FM all other times except when SWMBO wants the Archers......strange woman .

Still, enjoy what you've got...I do.

Ted

Edited by Webmaster on 12/08/2009 at 01:15

Oh my goodness ..guys.....It's a car not the Albert Hall !

I hear similar sentiments from SWMBO too.. ;)
I've often wondered if all these ' improvements ' to car radois make a lot of difference >> when you factor in.
Road noise
Engine noise
Wind noise

Very much so. To overcome these factors you need to turn the volume up a little, and that's when you soon see the difference between an OK audio system and a great one!

IMO an average car stereo sounds just fine when the engine is off. Once on the move, most of them are just rubbish, they can't compete with the background noise at all.

Even (or even especially?) Classic FM can sound much better on the right equipment...

I think WDB makes much the same point more concisely than do I! :)

Edited by Webmaster on 12/08/2009 at 01:16

Even (or even especially?) Classic FM can sound much better on the right equipment...
I think WDB makes much the same point more concisely than do I! :)

That's the point, surely? Classic FM uses OPTIMOD, I believe, which tends to level out all the highs and lows thus making it easier to listen to in a noisy environment. However it also takes all the 'fun' out of listening to it in the home, where their music sounds too compressed and interfered with.
In a way, I wish that it were possible to have treated some of my CD collection, that I had transferred to my USB memory stick, in this way so that the quieter passages (of which there are many) were audible, when played back in the car.
I have found that some of the classical works, I had chosen, are just not suitable and so have deleted them.

Edited by oldgit on 12/08/2009 at 09:56

>...I wish that it were possible to have treated some of my CD collection...

I think you could do this at home with something like Audacity. Haven't tried it myself, but I'm using Audacity to make CD copies of my LP collection to play in the car, and as well as simple recording and format conversion it has some options for removing noise and modifying levels. I'll have a go with some classical titles and see how well it works.

Note to mods - I know we've drifted off topic but there's some interesting and maybe even useful stuff here. Do you fancy spinning it off into a separate thread on enjoying music on the road?
Halfway there: Audacity does indeed have a utility called Compressor, which does exactly what we've been discussing. Seems reasonably easy to use, with the proviso that if you're compressing a multi-movement work, you have to start by concatenating all the individual .wav files into a single long one. Without this step, it boosts even an entirely quiet movement to a peak of 0dB, so the loud parts of the quiet movement will be as loud as the loudest of the loud.

Anyway, I have a CD to play on the M40 tomorrow and I'll let you know how it sounds.

Come on, mods, can we have a separate thread for this bit? Pleeeeease?
If you want an idea of how much variation there is between DAB, FM and Freeview (radio stations) transmissions, go to:

www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/digital_radio_samples.h...m

and listen to the audio samples...:-)
I think you might be right WillDB. I did have the S80. IIRC the dual zone climate system was originally tuned for the S80 interior and wasn't quite as spot on with the other cars for this reason. Entirely possible the audio was the same.

I had the HU-850 with 9 speakers, that might explain the differences in experience too.

Although I would say the audio wasn't perfect in my S80 anyway, as the 2008 new shape S80 I tried with the premium audio package was superb and blew away my car in all respects. That didn't employ the Pro-logic system at all, from what I could tell.

Probably the best audio I've ever enjoyed on the move, and great seats too. Shame I couldn't afford one!

Lots of gadgets that most folks on this thread wouldn't use too. :)
I hate any prologic crap. For music you just want simple stereo and add nothing to get in the way of the signal path.
I bought a DAB seperate about 3 years ago for £100 as I was sick of the hiss I got from my Sony tuner. I used to have a Denon 260 MK2 but I stupidly swapped it for this brand new crappy Sony FM tuner.

However my DAB is the biggest waste of money ever, I just cannot listen to it at 128kbps, you can imagine fed into my Cambridge Azure 640A it sounds pretty damn awful!

At least the old Virgin station is in 160kbps and sounds half decent.