06 2.2 Difference between clutch cover & pressuure - Ben79
The main dealer tells me that the pressure plate is worn (at 27k!) and a new clutch is required.

In trying to learn more about the clutch I've been googling and wondered if somebody can help me understand the difference between the clutch cover and the pressure plate.

Thanks in advance
Ben
06 2.2 Difference between clutch cover & pressuure - mfarrow
The clutch cover and pressure plate come as one unit. The cover is held to the pressure plate by leaf springs.

Unusual for a garage to diagnose a pressure plate worn, not the driven plate. Was it slipping?
06 2.2 Difference between clutch cover & pressuure - Hamsafar
auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch1.htm
06 2.2 Difference between clutch cover & pressuure - Ben79
They tell me that the pressure plate is worn by the clutch being held down while waiting for traffic lights. I protest saying that it is an existing fault that should be sorted under warranty. (I bought main dealer approved car at 19k miles)

Symptoms are that the clutch is very heavy for the first press after a long journey (40+ miles) in top gear. No sign of any slipping as revs match speed exactly.

It is supposed to be the pressure plate because there is resistance at around the biting point when pressing the pedal by hand.

Ben