Fiesta air intake complexity - Clanger
I helped No1 son fit a K&N air filter to his Fiesta yesterday. It's quiet on tickover but barks at you when you floor it. He's delighted. So delighted he took me across the road for a pint.

This post is really about the Byzantine complexity of the standard air intake system. It completely stalled my son as he tried to follow which bits went where and which bits were hiding above the wheel arch and in various body orifices. We levered, unclipped, rived and swore before all this plastic junk fell out in various-shaped pieces in the yard. There's a rectangular box holding the filter and an amazing arrangement of tubes, chambers and bends before the fresh air can get to the filter box. I sincerely hope this new filter doesn't affect the emissions at MoT time because I won't relish reassembling it. What is all this stuff for ? The new noisy filter instructions mention resonance chambers. What do they do, apart from slow the airflow down and stop it getting to the filter ? To my simple mind, it just looks like a load of complexity or somewhere to store your contraband.

Bewildered of Richmond.
Fiesta air intake complexity - bathtub tom
>>It's quiet on tickover but barks at you when you floor it.

If you left all the junk off, I think you've just discovered what it does.

The new filter shouldn't affect emissions. I think you'll find all they do is let more dirt through.

Ps. According to your profile you seem to have started driving several years before you were born?

Edited by bathtub tom {p} on 23/07/2009 at 16:48

Fiesta air intake complexity - mjm
Age 56, therefore born 1953, started driving 1960, passed test 1969, play with the months to make 17 in 1969??

The inlet bark of that kind of filter grows extremely wearing after a while.

Edited by mjm on 23/07/2009 at 17:23

Fiesta air intake complexity - bathtub tom
You're right!

I shouldn't try mental arithmetic straight after my afternoon kip. ;>)
Fiesta air intake complexity - bell boy
for what its worth as said the engine wears quicker
the maf sensors go off due to contamination
it will affect the insurance policy as its a modification
its just noise
but we were all young once and did silly things like this before we got our pipes to chew on
Fiesta air intake complexity - DP
I remember when I had my old 1600 Sierra with the dreaded Ford VV carb, a Ford tech friend attacked the intake system with a pair of wire cutters. After cutting through what seemed to be half a dozen rubber tubes, he pulled a tangle of small bore hoses and plastic T piece fittings from the engine compartment and hurled the whole lot over his shoulder into a waste bin. he then installed some rubber plugs to bung up the holes.

It ran better and used less fuel afterwards. He said it was something to do with emissions control, and a total pain in the fundament that was more trouble than it was worth.

I had four completely troublefree VV motoring years afterwards. Whether this was a coincidence I don't know.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 23/07/2009 at 18:08

Fiesta air intake complexity - craig-pd130
My last 4 cars have had very simple, high-volume airbox designs, my previous Passat and new Mondeo especially so.

Both with cold air inlets sensibly positioned & screened at the front of the engine bay, VERY large capacity still-air boxes, a paper filter element with HUGE surface area, and in the Mondeo, there's a very nicely moulded inlet velocity stack that leads to the MAF.

My old MG benefited from junking the tiny air filter boxes and replacing them with K&Ns but I doubt I'd fit one to a modern car ... the inlets and airboxes always seem to be sensibly designed for optimum flow and lack of restriction.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 24/07/2009 at 14:49

Fiesta air intake complexity - Number_Cruncher
The chambers are Helmholtz resonators - they work a little bit like the reverse effect of blowing over the top of a milk bottle to produce a note.

The Helmholtz resonator can be thought of as an acoustic mass spring damper system. The mass of air in the neck of the bottle represents the mass. The compliance or springiness of the air inside the chamber represents the spring. The energy that is radiated as sound fulfils the damping role.

In an intake system, the Helmholtz resonator produces sound which cancels with the sound resulting from the pulsing air in the manifold. The gross flow isn't significantly affected by the presence of the resonator, but, the noise you hear is much reduced.

EDIT: The interior lining of the front part most aero engine nacelles is made of thousands of Helmholtz resonators for noise reduction. They are usually made, quite cleverly and cheaply, by perforating the inner lining sheet in a regular pattern, exposing the chambers of the honeycomb sandwich panel within.

Hopefully, after a few long journeys, your son will realise how dull he has been, and convert the system back to standard. However, you'll know if this learning opportunity has been missed if he asks you how to install a louder stereo (to overcome the tedious noise of the new filter). Hopefully, this reversion to standard will happen before any damage is done to either his hearing or the car's engine!

Edited by Number_Cruncher on 24/07/2009 at 15:42