Examiner refuses to conduct test - Mr X
Claims the car was ' too dirty " because of some crumbs on the passenger seat.

tinyurl.com/ln4xyo

Petty Britain... getting pettier by the day.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Happy Blue!
Hmmm

Not sure if I agree. The seat is very stained and there is clearly a load of mess under the seat.

I remember going to see a 'mint' Matra Bagheera and realising that my understanding of the word was not the same as the sellers. If I had a dog, he would not have been willing to ride in the car and neither was I.

People have to be treated with respect and a driving examiner goes to work in a clean pair of trousers expects to be able to wear them the next days without needing to wash them.
Seats can be stained with out having something that will transfer on to clothing... water damage will some times leave a seat like that.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Armitage Shanks {p}
Yes, what colour of 'water'?
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Pugugly
Its "minging" Question is Mr X would you sit on a stain of uncertain origin ? I wouldn't.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Pugugly
. water damage will some times leave a seat like that.

So can any bodily fluid - not for me matey !
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Lud
would you sit on a stain of uncertain origin ? I wouldn't.

In all probability PU we must all have done that many times, certainly the more widely travelled of us. Stains of all-too-likely origin in many cases I shouldn't wonder. Pubs with fabric-covered banquettes for example... I doubt if they get a new seat cover every time some alky does a whoopsie or whatever you call it, or Kevin the teenager throws up his eight Pink Ladies....

I agree that stained car seats - usually in practice the deed of babies and children - are remarkably uninviting, one reason why I like leather...
The seat looks pretty vile, in the published photo. It is the Daily Wail and, if the chap jumps thru the right hoops he will get his test fee back. His Summer is messed up but there is no knowing if he would have passed the test anyway. A non-story really!
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Lud
I failed my first driving test by making the mistake of taking it in my own car, a slightly-foxed but slightly tweaked matt desert sand-coloured small-boot twin-carb Citroen Light 15, 1948, LHD and with non-functioning brake lights or semaphore indicators, I forget which. I exceeded the speed limit too, many of you will be reassured to learn. The tester seemed apprehensive but I am ashamed to say I faiiled to elicit anything resembling stark terror (plan B in those days for if you knew you had failed).

Of course I continued to hurtle about like a bullet on my forged Irish driving licence until the car got tired. Must have had the luck of the devil.

(Reminder to young readers: Don't try this at home. Bureacracy has evolved in a frightening way since then.)

Edited by Lud on 14/07/2009 at 21:21

Examiner refuses to conduct test - tack
If I was thumbing a lift, and it was raining stair rods, and thundering, and with driving hurricane force winds, and hailstones the size of a cadbury's cream egg.......and a naked Carla Bruni pulled up and said 'op in m'seur. I'd say "Only if I can drive, otherwise, non merci luvvy"
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Blue {P}
Sorry but that car is filthy, if they think that the level of staining in that seat is normal then I dread to think what their house is like. Mingers.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - bell boy
good
glad the examiner refused to sit in it
Examiner refuses to conduct test - gordonbennet
After 2 years of committee meetings, a public enquiry and a judicial review at the House of Lords, a conclusion has been reached that a seat cover might have done the trick.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Blue {P}
If he'd had one I'm sure it would have done, but they aren't exactly standard kit. Most instructors know that the car should be kept clean and tidy. It's about standards.

The bit that I was most surprised at was the father's assertion that you must need a brand new car to get through a test, not really, you just need to keep your old one in some sort of reasonable condition.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - bell boy
what material though?
i hate beads
nylon
leopard look
i do like the boy racer ones in that fetching blue stripe
Leopard skin can be rather attractive when draped minimally over a certain type of...;)
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Robin Reliant
My bet is that the car was a complete pigsty and the guy cleared it out before the photographer arrived.

A non-story.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Fullchat
"Sorry but that car is filthy, if they think that the level of staining in that seat is normal then I dread to think what their house is like. Mingers."

Or the mechanical integrity of the vehicle!

Its all about personal standards and values. Unfortunately these are in a rapid decline.

Edited by Fullchat on 14/07/2009 at 23:03

Examiner refuses to conduct test - madf
A car in that state for a driving test says all about the mentality and attitude of the driver.

(Any one with any sense knows that in tests, you want your examiner to like you: active dislike means the examiner only needs an excuse to fail you... ).

Examiner refuses to conduct test - Robin Reliant
Bear in mind too that driving test examiners are heavily monitored by the DSA and complaints against them are investigated thoroughly. If they are found to be in the wrong on any issue it can mean a trip back to Cardington for retraining and a black mark against future promotion prospects. They do not go out of their way to look for trouble.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - rtj70
If we change things a bit and assume that seat was one in a taxi. Would you sit on it? I think not.

I know of someone who failed (albeit 15 years ago) because the examiner thought the car was not clean enough inside. So this is not even a new story.

The learner should have provided a seat cover - but what is under the seat! And I bet it was cleaned after the examiner refused to get it.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Westpig
when i'd just turned 16 and was living in a small Devon village, i got myself a holiday job working in a dept store some 30 miles away. Trouble was getting there.

My folks managed to find a chap who drove a small builders van every day from the village to the city (Bedford HA), trouble was the van was filthy inside and out...and i had to be collar and tie

the first day i met the chap in the village square at some ungodly hour (with a decorating dust sheet in my holdall...just in case)... i noticed the interior of his van was immaculate, he'd well and truly cleaned it...and there was an old curtain over the seat, presumably because the dirt and dust in the seat was a lost cause

now if that chap could be bothered to make an effort for some spotty kid he was giving a lift to (and we were only giving him a small donation 'for a drink')....why on earth wouldn't you do the same for some chap who you want to pass you for your driving test?

Examiner refuses to conduct test - Dynamic Dave
"The teenager says he had cleaned the motor that morning and there were just a few croissant crumbs on the passenger seat and a dog biscuit in the footwell"

But he couldn't be bothered to clean under the seat to remove the rest of the dog biscuits. Looks like he couldn't be bothered to have a shave that morning either.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/07/2009 at 01:00

Examiner refuses to conduct test - NARU
There are some people with no idea of standards. Reminds me of a flat I turned up to (motoring link - I was driving the wedding car) where not only was the whole place filthy but there were at least a dozen dog poos on the kitchen floor, and countless yellow stains. Simply vile.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - welshlad
i should have tried that when i was in the army on room inspections.....sorry sarge i tried to clean it but its a barrack room used by alot of people.........sure that they would have seen it my way :-)
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Cliff Pope
MOT examiners use special plastic liners to protect their clothes from contamination from grotty seats.
MOT examiners also use special plastic liners to prevent their greasy overalls from mucking up customer's car seats, I hope!
Examiner refuses to conduct test - b308
Seems everyone (but one?) is with the examiner on this, then? Well so am I! ;)
Examiner refuses to conduct test - nortones2
What's missing is a description of the aromatic qualities of the shed. I'll wager the examiner had more than just a visual warning!
Examiner refuses to conduct test - ifithelps
Turning up with a car like that suggests to me the candidate may not have the right attitude to the test.

Well done to the examiner for taking what he saw as the correct decision, rather than the easy one.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - daveyjp
My dad once had a test cancelled after the examiner found a 'bubble' in the tyre wall. The fact the bubble was caused by the car being parked right on the end of a windfall tree branch cut no ice with the examiner.

Dad didn't run to the Daily Wail though - he appealed and was refunded the test fee.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - BobbyG
Sometimes I think journalists can be cute.

Joe Bloggs goes to them with their complaint of unjust, paper agrees to publish the story and photo knowing full well it will get them no sympathy and actually make everyone laugh at them!!

That'll teach them!!
Book, cover, judge ?

Book cover judge ?

Not really, a bit of common sense by the young chap or better still his dad who should have known better wouldn't have gone amiss here.

I'm going to take my driving test...now lets think....the one person in the world i want to be my best mate for the day is the examiner, so the first thing i'll do is present him with a seat base that looks like it's been home to an incontinent dog.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - turbo11
I wouldn't sit in that car.Its minging. My garage floor is cleaner than that- and thats no exageration.
Is it any less clean than our buses, trains.... ?
Examiner refuses to conduct test - b308
Yes, a lot more dirty.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - commerdriver
Is it any less clean than our buses trains.... ?

Probably not in some cases, although any bus or train I have been on in recent years has been fine, but at least on these you can choose which seat to sit on or even choose to stand if all the seats look filthy
Yes - a very great deal less, speaking as a regular train traveller.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - maz64
Yes - a very great deal less speaking as a regular train traveller.

ditto
Examiner refuses to conduct test - turbo11
Is it any less clean than our buses trains.... ?

I can't remember. Early eighties when I last used either. We don't have either in the area where I reside.
Examiner refuses to conduct test - zookeeper
i had a mate whos flat was as dirty as that car, one had to wipe ones feet on exiting the premises
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Mapmaker
Quite right too. Croissant crumbs are greasy. I should be furious were I asked to sit on them. Once again a victory for common sense and Mr Cross.

As for that seat... ugh. I am sure my cat would refuse to sit on it (and she's a feral cat).
Examiner refuses to conduct test - Rattle
Since Stagecoach Manchester fleet is virtualy brand new (they purhcase a lot of their new stock for Manchester than cascade them into other parts of the country after a few years, it means we get a huge amount of brand new buses) they are very very clean. Main problem is pensioners throwing their free tickets on the floor.

Trains are usualy very clean but oddly I don't find them as clean as buses.