Dipsticks...true oil level. - gordonbennet
Dipping the engine oil on our pick up can be slightly confusing till you realise whats happening.

The side of the dipstick facing gives the true reading, the rear facing side must wipe itself almost clear (but stops wiping itself about an inch below the correct front side) on something as you pull the thing out.

Some owners must be thinking the lower reading is the true one as i've checked the oil level out of interest on several used models of our truck and found they have far too much oil in.

I've measured the correct amount of oil in when changing and when serviced by Toyota it's spot on the correct (front) mark too...yes i've turned the stick round before you wags fire up..;)

Wonder how many cars are running round with far too much oil in, and what if any damage is likely to follow.
Dipsticks...true oil level. - Cliff Pope
There was an old thread on dipsticks with some weird readings reported which seemed to be because the dipstick made an air-tight seal. This depressed the level of the oil in the tube, which was supposed to be left for a specified period to allow it slowly to equalise the pressure and creep back up.
Dipsticks...true oil level. - Lygonos
The oil shouldn't be in the tube it should be in the sump. This would then make an air tight seal irrelevant.
Dipsticks...true oil level. - Old Navy
The oil shouldn't be in the tube it should be in the sump. >>

I dont think the car manufacturers have perfected the design of any part of a car yet, they even copied the wheel.
Dipsticks...true oil level. - Armitage Shanks {p}
This is certainly true of the old SAAB/GM 2.2 diesel - there are very specific instructions on how to 'dip' the oil and it involves taking the dipstick out, ignore the reading, wipe it clean and dip again. The difference can be the equivalent of a litre of oil
Dipsticks...true oil level. - Lygonos
I think that is because when running, oil can end up in the tube and then doesn't return due to the airtight seal at the top - taking out the dipstick allows that oil then to run back into the sump.

The bottom of the tube shouldn't rest in the sump oil itself.

It has been a few years since i've seen the bottom end of an engine though... ;-)