New car for the mother-in-law!! - Bruce GT3
Yet another one of those "what car should I buy?" threads, but here goes anyway;

MIL wants a new car, and is coming out of a 2004 Fiesta. She's got her heart set on the new Fiesta or Ka. The prices are too high for the father-in-law, who arrived at my place last night with a brochure for the Nissan Pixo (a foul thing by all accounts). So the brief is it has to be super-cheap to buy (<£8500) and run for the FIL, and has to be reasonably stylish and comfortable for the MIL.

In addition to the Ka/Fiesta, I've told her to have a look at the following - Hyundai i20 / i30
and Toyota Aygo (and clones)

Are there any others they should be looking at? Any great deals to be had?

TIA, from Bruce - a hard put upon son-in-law!
New car for the mother-in-law!! - Old Navy
Must it be brand new? Pre registered, ex demo, or almost new may open up options.
She'd prefer brand new...

I know what you mean about options - too many perhaps for someone that doesn't really know what they want!!
SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/07/2009 at 13:37

New car for the mother-in-law!! - rtj70
FIAT 500. I think the starting price is just a little less than £8500. and underneath the Ford Ka and FIAT 500 are both based on the Panda. And both built at the same factory in Poland.
Brilliant - hadn't thought they were that cheap...
New car for the mother-in-law!! - barney100
Seems like fair swop to me....................
What sort of car are you offering then? ;-)
New car for the mother-in-law!! - Bill Payer
Don't know what current prices are like, but Mitsubishi Colt was quite cheap, and quite a lot of car for the money. Doesn't feel terribly robust though.
New car for the mother-in-law!! - daveyjp
At 2.5 years old our Aygo continues to provide good service and now it's paid for running costs are tiny. Insurance £200, tax £35, 45+mpg, next service just £100.

Similar aged ones are advertised at £5,500+ - we only paid £7k for it - so you won't take a huge depreciation hit either.
New car for the mother-in-law!! - teabelly
For cheap fiats then fiatsupasaver is a good place to look: www.fiatsupasaver.com/default.aspx

You could just squeeze a punto 3 door for under 8500 which is pretty amazing. It is also a diesel version so you'd probably get 60mpg too.

Don't think you can get the 500 discounted.
New car for the mother-in-law!! - LikedDrivingOnce
Also woth looking at:

Citroen C1
Peugeot 107
Mazda 2 (with a discount)
Renault Twingo
New car for the mother-in-law!! - Avant
"In addition to the Ka/Fiesta, I've told her to have a look at the following - Hyundai i20 / i30
and Toyota Aygo (and clones)"

The Hyundai i10 is nearer in size to what she's looking for, and cheaper. The new 1.2 version is much praised by testers, inclusing HJ (see car-by-car on this site), although (and for this reason) there seems to be a long waiting list.
New car for the mother-in-law!! - MokkaMan
it surely must depend on how much space she wants. Most of the City Cars are around 3.4-3.6m long. The superminis these days all seem to be around the 4.0m mark. If she is used to a Fiesta size and wishes to get the best value - I would have thought the Hyundai I20 would be the best overall option. If she can downsize a bit there are many options - Daihatsu Sirion? The Fiat 500 would be the most exciting option but does not have five doors. My mother always insists on five doors for easier access for her less mobile friends.

Overeall though for the combination of value and space, I would go for the Hyundai I20.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!

I will be following up on several of the suggestions in there.

Just got to convince the father-in-law he needs to open his wallet a bit wider!!!
New car for the mother-in-law!! - NowWheels
Just got to convince the father-in-law he needs to open his wallet a bit wider!!!

Why not convince him instead to take yer m-i-l to see two cars? One a brand new little 'un, and the other a nearly-new example of the bigger size she really wants, one which also has the advantage of having been run in for her.