HPI Check Discrepancy - Woofbark
In December 2008, I sold on a vehicle which I had only owned for a short while.

Today, I have been contacted by the buyer who informed me that the vehicle was recently HPI'ed, and the check had comeback reporting that the vehicle had been scrapped in 2000 and had outstanding finance from 2006!

Obviously, I was very concerned by this and so this evening have carried out my own checks against the vehicle.

The more detailed of the two checks that I've carried out reveals the reported issues relate to the vehicle VIN... and fortunately the part detailing the outstanding finance gives the name of a model of caravan for 'description'.

The vehicle I sold was a motorcycle... and one that appears to have been a parallel import when it was first registered, and only the last six digits of the VIN (chassis) number were given to DVLA.

Further investigation reveals that this is quite often a normal practice when it comes to parallel imports.

Anyway... the bike is obviously alive and well in 2009, and the issues flagged up by the vehicle check link to a caravan which just happens to have the same chassis number as that stated for the bike.

So... what do I advise the bikes current owner to do as the best course of action?

A quick google of the net reveals HPI aren't exactly that forthcoming when it comes to updating their records when they're wrong, and the new owner is rightfully concerned that he will not be able to sell the bike in the future all the time it's wrongly flagged up in this way.

TIA for any advice received. :-)
HPI Check Discrepancy - martint123
Just tell him to do the same as yourself - get and keep a full HPI printout showing their errors.

As it isn't your vehicle any more tell the buyer to write to HPI demanding a correction ISTR they are required to keep accurate data under the data protection act (although is that for people rather than objects?).