New car harmonisation... - Ian (Cape Town)
"Thirteen leaders of the world's largest car companies have come together for the first time in history to discuss the global environment and traffic safety. "http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2285917.stm

My suggestions, with nowt to do with the emmissions factors:

Make sure the handbrake is ALWAYS between the seats; the hooter is always in the centre of the steering wheel; and the indicators are always on the side of the control column nearest the gearshift.

(oh, and that reverse gear is always 'across and up')
New car harmonisation... - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
oh, and that reverse gear is always 'across and up'

How do you achieve that with both LHD and RHD ?
New car harmonisation... - THe Growler
Buy an auto, then all you have to remember is reverse=forward (huh?)

Change is inevitable -- progress is optional.
pedants, the pair of you ...
Paul - I'll rephrase: "to the left, and up"
Growler - I have an auto - hence my annoyamnce every time I get into a manual, and have to figure out HOW to get bl**dy reverse!
(On top of that, some, like the BMW, have to be pushed across quite hard from the H, some, like the Opel, have a little ring below the gearknob which needs pulling up ...)
New car harmonisation... - Tomo
Where to get into reverse is usually marked; HOW you get in is the problem with some boxes.

And I'll stick with my indicators on the right. People get mad at strange indications when one just wants to clean the screen!

Tomo
Tomo, I still don't understand it ...
My Opel, RHD, but german design, indicators on right.
Dad's Merc, RHD, but german design, indicators on left...
Sheesh ...
New car harmonisation... - THe Growler
We all now that feeling: get in the rental at LHR, switch on then try and find reverse. Having done that and edged nervously into traffic, trying to figure out where all the switches are at the same time as looking for the M4.

Could be worse, though. Growlette used to think that not only was the steering wheel was "on the wrong side" in UK but also that the pedals were reversed as well!

Change is inevitable -- progress is optional.
Oh, right then.
I'm easily confused............................
How did that get there? I was answering Ian's accusation of pedantry......................
New car harmonisation... - Cardew
Ian,
Another suggestion is a standard seat belt buckle - or at least the method of unfastening.

Some have flaps you lift, some buttons in the centre and others buttons on top.
C