Show licence when you buy a car? - Optimist
Sad story from Wales about a unlicenced and uninsured driver responsible for the death of a little lad.

tinyurl.com/nxsk5u

Should you have to show you've a licence when you buy a car? There could be a space in the V5 to be completed with the purchaser's licence details if the car is used or passed straight on to DVLA by the dealer if the car is new.

Show licence when you buy a car? - Mr X
Several things I didn't understand. Says he hasn't had a licence in decades. He didn't have insurance either in which case, how did he tax his vehicles ?

Can only assume he bought them all ready taxed. From the number of stop checks being carried out and ANPR having been in operation for at least 5 years , how come he wasn't picked up ?

Show licence when you buy a car? - Rattle
A friend of a friend used to drive round uninsured in the middle of Manchester for several months, in the end his tax ran out and couldn't renew so it just drove it untaxed. His car got crushed and he got away with it. He has learnt his lesson now and no longer drives. I think he already had 6 points from years ago for driving without insurance or something similar. Some people just don't give a toss. I am still amazed with all the APNR cameras that he got away with it though.

I know if I broke the law I would get caught.
Show licence when you buy a car? - woodster
Contrary to popular belief ANPR is hardly blanketing the country and the majority of it's use does not have the core intention of picking up the untaxed and uninsured, although these are benefits. But weren't you somewhat vociferous in your dislike of ANPR and the Police dealings with an old Gent in Surrey somewhere on an ANPR operation. This driver is an old man in a high quality car. Shouldn't he be left alone?? Well, that's what some contributors on here argued, when they had absolutely no facts whatsoever upon which to base their opinions. This proves that age and type of car is no barrier to criminality. Poor old Plod, damned if they do...
Show licence when you buy a car? - Mr X
No but yer but no but..
Hang on a minute, Plod has no problem depriving people of their vehicles based on the word of ANPR, even when the word is clearly wrong. Let me tell you, ANPR IS blanketing large areas of our towns and cities. Would you like me to take you on a tour of the static sites around the N. West ?. You'd be surprised where they are stationed.
Show licence when you buy a car? - Mookfish
From the number of stop checks
being carried out and ANPR having been in operation for at least 5 years how
come he wasn't picked up ?

Only way I can think of is cloned plates, but then how did they trace him?

As to showing your licence when buying a car there is a space on the v5c for driver number but it is not compulsory to fill it in, I suppose there is no law saying that the registered keeper needs a licence as they might not drive the car anyway.

A very sad case my sympathies to the family.
Show licence when you buy a car? - b308
Probably the "blanket" coverage is more "small tissue" size in reality... can't say I've seen any ANPR checks for quite a while either, so perhaps they are not that widespread... or perhaps targeted more where they are likely to pick up the law breakers...
Show licence when you buy a car? - pony
a few years ago the older style v5 did have a space for driving licence number , it wasnt compulsory to enter it, just like mileage,
Show licence when you buy a car? - Martin Devon
He has been driving for years. If he had a licence and was insured would that make him a better driver. I know loads of folk who have licences and are insured and they drive like idiots.

MD

{offending word replaced with something similar - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/06/2009 at 23:38

Show licence when you buy a car? - the swiss tony
Very sad case, and the driver deserves everything he got and more, doing a hit and run is the lowest...
that said, could the accident have been avoided if the lad had been walking across the road instead of riding a bike?
manys the time I have seen close ones where people ride across roads instead of walking, only the other week a guy nearly went over the handlebars when he decided at the last second not to ride out in front of a car.
Show licence when you buy a car? - Optimist
He has been driving for years. If he had a licence and was insured would that make him a better driver. >>

Not necessarily, but is there any reason for driving around unlicenced and uninsured? And don't you think people who do are sort of holding up two fingers at the rest of us poor law-abiding citizens?

No licence = no car does seem a simple solution to me.

Edited by Optimist on 20/06/2009 at 12:52

Show licence when you buy a car? - oldnotbold
Who ,polices it though? Buy a car from a private seller - are they to check the validity of the licence?

The only real solution would be to insist that to register a vehicle transfer you have to present yourself at a DVLA office with your licence. What about company/lease/pool cars?
Show licence when you buy a car? - Bromptonaut
Swiss,

This looks like a tragic accident involving a child who happened to be on a bike. The offences charged were all related to license and insurance issues rather than speed or careless/dangerous driving. It seems likley that youthfull inexperience or lack of observation played a part but I'm not sure you can blame the bike or equate this situation to deliberate risk taking by adult cyclists.

Had a close one myself on Thursday. Using a bike track for once and approaching a Toucan crossing found the red man/bike showing but the road clear. Decided not to stop/wait but just as my rear wheel cleared the kerb a Porsche appeared doing well over the forty limit - combination of his brakes and my rapid acceleration meant we were never in any danger of collision but scary for both of us. I'd have been much nearer to trouble dawdling or on foot.
Show licence when you buy a car? - Hamsafar
Of course ANPR blankets the motorway and A-road networks and some urban B roads, but not residential cul-de-sacs of the depth of the countryside.

Maybe the man's car was taxed and insured by his company?
He is described as a businessman.
The reason there is no insurance is that is is null and void because he has no license.

Edited by Hamsafar on 20/06/2009 at 18:24