05 3.0 Steering Rack - Country boy
I have a Jeep Garnd Cherokee 3.0 CRD purchased 2 years ago from a Jeep dealer, Old of Yeovil, and which has always been srviced on time at that dealer. The car has been excellent, particularly for towing a two horse trailer. Until now at 60,000 miles when the steering rack has about 1/4" of play and needs replacing to pass the MOT. A quote of £1,200 to do this seemed high but I accepted it. I am now told the engine needs to come out to get at the rack and so a further £800 of labour. This seems excessive to me. Do you think Chrysler should make some contribution to this cost? Surely a steering rack should be good for 200,000 miles? Your advice would be much appreciated.

Gideon Sumption 19/06/09
05 3.0 Steering Rack - MerlinTec
Hi
Who told you the engine needs to come out? Warranty book time for this job is only 2.2 hours so even at twice that due to poor jeep warranty times still is not a bad job at only half a day. The service info to do this doesn?t say to remove engine it only says to remove axle. Get another garage to price it.
05 3.0 Steering Rack - MerlinTec
Hi
Have they started the job yet? If not tell you what I will do I will fit it for you. Exeter is not that far away from you. Phone carrs Exeter 01392822899 speak to Chris Tell him Simon said he will fit the rack for 5 hours labour + rack + fluid + tracking and you can hold me to that. Play far with me though if you want it done in a day I want it for 8:30 and I will have it ready for 5. I will give you a park and ride ticket so you can spend the day in Exeter. Is it olds that are telling you this? If so I am surprised, Who is doing it? as Stuart there I know very well and is very good I would let him work on mine. Racks are not a common fault on these think I have only fitted 2 since they came out in 2005.
05 3.0 Steering Rack - Country boy
Simon,

Thank you for this kind offer. As it turned out Olds at Yeovil discovered they did not need to remove the engine and removed the subframe instead so the job was a lot cheaper. Nonetheless I believe that the rack cannot have been of a satisfactory manufacture to fail at this young age and will press for a contribution from Jeep. I would be very grateful for your views on this.

Prior to this incident my reccommendations had lead to three friends/relations buying 3.0 CRD Cherokees, two from Carrs Exeter and one from the defunct Taunton Olds so on this count alone I think Jeep owe me some goodwill.

Have a look at www.stacks.co.uk/video.html and go to video guide 6 and you can see the car in action.

Regards, Gideon.