02 1.8 Trouble starting - GazKaz
Hi everyone

I had a problem with my Vectra in Feb when it cut out whilst driving home.

See thread with resolution:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=72103&...f

Since then, the car has trouble starting. It takes about 3 to 4 seconds to start and when it does start I can hear a pop come from under the bonnet. It seems to only do it when cold, but I have had it do the same thing when warm as well. The only thing I've done so far is change the spark plugs but to no avail! When it does start it runs great.

Is my starting problem someway linked to my problem I had in Feb?
Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!
02 1.8 Trouble starting - topbloke
fuel temp sensor springs to mind, but difficult to prove without live data,poss lazy fuel pump/pressure reg
Hi topbloke, thanks again for your input!

Am I right to assume that the fuel pump itself is ok due to the fact that when the car does start, it runs without a hitch?

Would my diagnostics bloke be able to plug in his gismo and give me some idea as to where the fault lies?

If it's the pressure regulator, would this show as a fault code?

Thanks again
02 1.8 Trouble starting - topbloke
no, possibly and no ! cant assume anything, you would need to check the fuel pump pressure, when priming should see about 3 bar almost instantly (well by the end of the initial priming of the pump) then turn ingnition of and see if pressure remains there (may drop of slightly), then start car and see what pressure the pump can supply,
if the diag bloke knows his stuff he may be able to give you some idea as to where the problem lies but if he relies on codes to point him in the right direction then he may be of no use,
the pressure reg is in the tank iirc on this and is not connected eletronically so would not show up as a code hence the initial tests that i have outlined above,Regards TB
Hi topbloke

Yea, gonna get my diagnostics man back. He was very good pinpointing the original fuel pipe fault, as you say, not one of these guys who just relies on the fault codes to lead him the way!

Once I have a resolution, i'll post it back here.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Cheers!
02 1.8 Difficult starting - GazKaz
Hi everyone!

Got a 1.8 LS Vectra 101K miles that has some difficulty starting.

About 12 months ago it conked out whilst driving it home, turned out to be the fuel pick up pipe in the tank came off. Fixed it and all was ok. Around a week after it was fixed it was taking around 3 to 4 seconds to start from cold, once it had started it ran great.

Now nearly 12 months on, still not starting great and this morning it was really bad trying to start. Engine cranked for a good 6 seconds, nothing, tried again and it started after about 4 seconds, again, once it had started, runs great.

It has been regularly serviced with all plugs replaced but no better. Some mornings it will start first time almost immediately but not that often!

Has this anything to do with the pick up pipe problem I had almost 12 months ago? I can't see it myself as if it was the pipe the car would not run at all. Am I correct in assuming this?

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

GazKaz