Peugeot rear dampers - Andrew Tarr
In January I took over a 96N 306 cabrio with a genuine 18K miles. After a few months I decided the rear-end skittishness was more than just scuttle-shake, and the local garage found very little pressure remained in the n/s damper, and the o/s one was not a lot better. I have never (knowingly) had any trouble with Peugeot dampers, so is this a cabrio problem, or did the car just have faulty ones from new?
Re: Peugeot rear dampers - honest john
If the car has only done 18.000 miles in 5 years it could have been sitting somewhere doing nothing for a very long time and this might have led to corrosion on the damper rods and/or drying out of the seals. But we'll soon find out if anyone else has suffered problems from Peugeot dampers. The company ised to be famous for them and made their own.

HJ
Re: Peugeot rear dampers - Andrew Tarr
HJ - the cabrio is a 1-owner car which has clearly been looked after but not used much. The MoT certs. show that one year it did exactly 1000 miles between tests. It has had annual oil changes but not much else until I insisted on coolant and brake fluid last Jan. I was wondering whether the extra body flexing might cause more 'work' which had hastened the deterioration.
Peugeot rear dampers - David Woollard
In engineering terms many components have a time, as well as mileage, life. Mostly dampers are aged/stressed by working when on the road but, like anything, can age while standing.

You can't really call it a problem if a damper fails after five years, unlucky perhaps.

Having said that I look after several 306s at 60,000 miles plus and none has needed dampers yet.

David
Re: Peugeot rear dampers - honest john
I think Dave and I got there.

HJ
Re: Peugeot rear dampers - richard turpin
1,000 miles in a year could be a disconnected speedo? Fairly common way of clocking.
Re: Peugeot rear dampers - Andrew Tarr
Richard - I had considered this possibility, but the usual tell-tales like stone-chips, pedal rubbers and condition of leather don't suggest it. Also two new tyres on front, originals on rear, spare unused. I would have thought disconnecting to show 1000 miles was less credible than (say) 4000. I tend to think the dampers dried up with lack of exercise.