93 1.6 diagnostic warning lamp - thomas_ng
The diagnostic warning lamp comes on when the car stops at traffic jam for more than 5 minutes. When driving normal again the lamp is off. Any idea ?
Thanks
93 1.6 diagnostic warning lamp - focusman
hi sounds like it could be coolant related. check coolant levels with engine COLD, 205 known for air traps in system. top up if necessary when engine is cold, best to remove expansion bottle and tie it up under the bonnet making sure it is higher than any other part of the engine or cooling system.
open air bleed valves dotted about the system, i think there is at least 2 bleed valves. 1 on the thermostat housing, 1 on the heater pipe. open these till water runs out. turn heater control to max heat, remove radiator cap and start the engine let it warm up till the cooling fan starts, topping up the expansion tank if needed. once the fan has stopped, turn engine off replace cap and refit expansion tank in it's correct position. take for test, replicating original conditions if poss. recent hot weather will show up any fault on cooling system when stuck in traffic. may also require cooling system being flushed out and refilled as above.
hope this helps
Thanks focusman - Really appreciate for your reply indeed. I'll check and post again any improment.

Regards
thomas
hi
whilst you have the expansion tank off disconnect it and the hose to where the hose connects back to the system and clean them both out, they get full of muck which eventually will get into the system causing blockages. remember to replenish antifreeze and inhibitor.
Hello focusman;

Your guidance really helps indeed. The diagnostic lamp seems to be stable after the cleaning. Thanks again for your instruction.
Thomas
hi
glad to help, i had a 405 and a 205 both had cooling system troubles, previous owners not looking after them. peogeot are very particular regarding cooling, everything has to be right more so in summer.
it's a good few years since i owned them and if i remember rightly on the radiator is a combined flow and level switch.
it is on the left hand side of the rad, as you stand in front of the car and look down on the rad.
it is quite a large item compared to the rest of bits on the rad, this switch can get full of muck as well, so if you have to do anymore work on the rad take the switch out and clean it.
please ensure you use good quality antifreeze with the right inhibitor, i presume yours is a petrol model with an aluminium engine, because on the 405, the previous owner had not, it had leaks on the engine casting which i eventually fixed. hopefully yours won't be anywhere as bad.