91 1.3 Total wheel bearing failure without warning - matt-e-g2009
Hi, i recently purchased a ford orion 1.3, 1991 with only 30,000 miles and full service history and new mot, it did have a leaky brake cylinder though so i took it to the garage to get repaired, i could have done this myself but was very busy and didnt have time. i got the car back the following day and me and my wife and young son went to weymouth for the day, on the way back, just past dorchester on the dual carrage way i had a total wheel bearing failure, offside rear, no warning, no funny noise no rumbling, just a sharp crack, slight drop in right hand side and a little tank slap with the steering, but managed to keep control, was doing 60mph and thought i had a puncture. called the aa, luckily had just re joined and got recovery to home.
Im just asking is it normal for a bearing to seize with no warning?
ive now had it apart the inner bearing is ok, but outer bearing is totally anialated, with the inner roller seized to the spindle.
Do you think the garage that done my rear brakes could be at fault? and also im a little concerned theres more than meets the eye with the mot, its five months into the twelve, and ive had a leaky cylinder and a wheel bearing go, is there a way i can check the validitiy of the mot certificate because its not unknown for testers to do there mates a little favour, but thats not a dig at the vast majority of testers who are honest and do a great job.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
Matt.
91 1.3 Total wheel bearing failure without warning - Woodspeed
If the bearing was old and dry, it would make quite a nose for a long time before it finally let go.
From memory those Ford's use a taper bearing which require a little grease, and very little torque to tighten. New Ford cars (have recently done a Fiesta 96) require a very high torque setting. If someone made a mistake this would certainly destroy the bearing.
91 1.3 Total wheel bearing failure without warning - pmh2
I do not know if the Orion of this age used the same construction as the later Mk4 Fiestas. On the Mk 4 the preferred method of removing the drum is take it off with the stub axle so that the bearing is not touched. There was a thread recently on it here. If the Orion has the same and the garage did not follow the Ford recommended method you maybe able to argue the case that they are responsible. (But I doubt that they will admit to it)!

p
i dont think it is the same as the fiesta mk4, with the orion 91 you need to take the drum off before you can take the stub axle off.
I know it was a youngish guy doing the job, il ask at the garage what torque setting they used, i know with my orion it should be tightened to 20 nm then slackened off so there is some slight play, didnt think of that, thanks.
91 1.3 Total wheel bearing failure without warning - piston power
Bite the bullet it's a 18 yr old car it may well be original bearing at such low mileage, as soon as you touch disturb things it leads to other problems too.

The bearing is a cheap job to do yourself and if the latter type with the 4x bolts at the back still easy enough.
91 1.3 Total wheel bearing failure without warning - jc2
IIRC,they went to the four-bolt type with the 95.5 facelift when they changed from IRS to twist-beam.