05 1.7CDTi Starting after long period of standing - Englishbullterrier
This is probably a querie for the "elekie&a/c doctor".

The car I have in the UK is a 'new' Astra 1.7CDTi.

By the time I get back to it, it will have been standing for 6 months. My querie is, if the battery is TOTALLY flat, ie, no response to remote control door opener/alarm disarmer, how do I get into the car to open the bonnet to charge the battery ? I believe the doors are opened electrically (by solenoid) as a result from either pressing the remote or using the key in the door lock.

Sounds a bit like a chicken and egg situation :-)

Many thanks in advance............ebt

Edited by Webmaster on 25/05/2009 at 12:30

05 1.7 Starting after a long period of standing - Victorbox
I think you can still use the key to open the lock in the driver's door handle to get into the driver's side to pop the bonnet. Leaving a battery in a discharged state for several months may have killed it of course! Hope the handbrake is off and watch out for the possible flatspots on the tyres. If it's in the open there could be a nice coating of rust on the brake discs as well so take care. I don't think diesel goes off in that time.
05 1.7 Starting after a long period of standing - Dynamic Dave
I think you can still use the key to open the lock in the driver's door handle

Yep, correct. Not sure if you will have to resync the one touch electric windows - no mention of it in the handbook. But if you do, fully open the windows, then close. Take finger off the closed button and then hold down again for approx 5 seconds.

To resync the remote locking, unlock the door with the key and then put the key in the ignition (obviously once the battery has been charged)

If you've not got a handbook, then you can download one for free from Vauxhall's website:

tinyurl.com/pk435b

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/05/2009 at 13:20

05 1.7 Starting after a long period of standing - Englishbullterrier
Many thanks for both suggestions..............ebt