Terms and conditions of Skoda?s 3 year u - ian s
As I cover 50,000mls a year, I chose to buy a Skoda Octavia on the basis that it had a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty and have Skoda literature to that effect. I was at the local Skoda dealer to have a 50,000mls service and told them there is difficulty in engaging 1st gear (this has been highlighted since its 20,000mls service). They told me that they would fit a new clutch assembly under warranty. However, it had to be fitted on or before 60,000mls, if it was to be done under warranty.

On questioning my local dealer about the 60,000mls limit, they told me this limit affected the suspension, bushes, upholstery and steering unit, but could not supply anything in writing.
I called Skoda UK to seek clarification on the matter and to obtain a full copy of the warranty agreement in writing. They told me that they had no written literature on the warranty. They told me that the 60,000mls limit was not accurate, and that each case would be taken on its own merit and that if it was the result of a manufacturers defect, they would replace it under warranty.

1. Can Skoda sell cars on the basis of a 3 year warranty, and then change the terms & conditions of the warranty at will?

2. To say each case will be taken on its own merit is not reassuring for future warranty work. Its almost like changing the goalposts as they please.

3. The fact that they will not give me the terms & conditions of the warranty in writing leaves me very vulnerable to future warranty claims.

4. Is this legal and if not what can I do about it?
Terms and conditions of Skoda’s 3 year u - Graham
Ans 4. Buy something else. I had three good years with a Felicia, but when the brakes seized for the second time I was not impressed. When they said that as the brakes are consumables they wouldn't be covered I was even less impressed. So for the sake of a few quid I went and bought another make of car. I did "cut my nose of to spite my face" as my dear old mm says but stuff it how else can I register my disgust?
Terms and conditions of Skoda’s 3 year u - ian s
Cheers for the reassurance H.J.

If I was to challenge Skoda on this issue, which it looks like I may have too sooner or later, who would be my first port of call?
Terms and conditions of Skoda’s 3 year u - Baskerville
Most university libraries have microfilm of newspapers such as the Times going back many years. Have a scan through to find adverts as HJ says, record the date, print one out and take it to show the dealer.

One thing to watch out for, though: you'll find that old newspapers are a lot more interesting than current ones, and you may be there for some time. The last time I had to do this for my work, I spent a lot of time reading articles written in the 1930s arguing that diesel engines in trucks would never catch on. Motoring journalists. Tsk, tsk.

Chris
Terms and conditions of Skoda’s 3 year u - Armitage Shanks{P}
Remember what Sam Goldwyn said " A verbal promise isn't worth the paper it's written on"!
Terms and conditions of Skoda’s 3 year u - ian s
It's not a verbal agreement. I have written confirmation as part of Skodas own litriture and can obtain further written proof from adverts from the local newspaper if necessary.
Terms and conditions of Skoda’s 3 year u - Armitage Shanks{P}
I was only being slightly flippant! You did say in your original post that Skoda UK told you that they had nothing in writing for you about the warranty. If you are able to get them to abide by something that they promised you, in fact or by implication, I am sure we are all very pleased for you.
Terms and conditions of Skoda's 3 year u - Flat in Fifth
Presumably you don't have the warranty book/papers etc originally supplied with the car?

Know it is stating the obvious but surely that is absolutely the first place to go?

If you don't have it maybe find an owner with a similar age car and see if they have kept the papers and see what it says.

Terms and conditions of Skoda?s 3 year u - jud
I tried to get a copy of the 2nd and 3rd year warranty from Audi before purchase in 2000 it was still a dealer warranty for years 2 & 3. I had the same problem as you but was reassured enough to buy one, in the second year I've had a headlight bulb and passenger door window switch replaced foc.
I believe the warranty is now a 3 year manufactures cover. But why is it made so difficult to sight the terms and conditions?
Terms and conditions of Skoda?s 3 year u - ian s
Having given Skoda the opportunity to clarify the warranty situation, which they have not, I have followed Skodas complaints procedures and put it in writing to SMMT.

I will post the outcome of this when they get back to me, it will take a few weeks!
Cheers for all the input.