98 0.3 are garage telling truth about my bearings? - pinkhubz81
Hi may someone please help!
I took my lil baby micra in for a new genuine clutch & new driveshafts (both sides) as the outer cvs were crackling & as im a bit suspect on the history of the car i thought id treat her & forget about the front end.
I went to pick her up yesterday, the clutch was lovely however when i pulled steering right hand down this awfull grinding noise came on (felt like from the drivers side).

I took it back & theyv said he may have disturbed the front wheel bearings. this can happen. is this true?

if it needs bearings it can have them i just need to know if that sounds right.

Also he said there was a little play in the pass track rod end & the ball joint on drivers side had been rubbing slighty on the old driveshaft. I asked why & he couldnt tell me.

The cars done 84thou. I am suspect of a little bump on the front end.

Iv taken it on as a little orphan as it was in need of tlc! I have had 6 micras all of the marks & never had this!

sorry for such a long post any suggestions on if the garage are telling the truth would be greatly apreciated.

ps. i have succesfully re soldered a throttlebody (on a different micra) using the thread on here & also the heater resistor so thanks for really helpfull info!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/05/2009 at 11:03

98 0.3 are garage telling truth about my bearings? - Peter.N.
Sounds to me as though something is running out of line, check under the side that the noise is coming from and see if there are any shiny bits where there has been metal to metal contact.
98 0.3 are garage telling truth about my bearings? - pinkhubz81
Thanks for your reply, il get it up on ramps & have a look.
Had car back tonight & the noise has gone.
They said that the nut from the ball joint had turned when it was tightened & caused it to rub on the driveshaft. (it had signs of rubbing before they said)
They've chopped a bit off the top...... it isnt making a noise!
Getting some genuine nissan driveshafts fitted next week, really tired of finding cheap chinese ones so going for quality as planning to keep the car.

Thanks for reply, think i may consider a mechanics course! Then maybe able to do these jobs myself!

thanks again
98 0.3 are garage telling truth about my bearings? - skreech
a mechanics course is fine. but bear in mind you will need tools , lots of them, and they arent cheap.
98 0.3 are garage telling truth about my bearings? - Peter.N.
What you really need is years of experience and that makes you old - get on here and take advantage of the 'oldies'
98 0.3 are garage telling truth about my bearings? - TurboD
I would not start on jobs like those. You will need a lot of back up facilities to deal with wheel bearings and drive shafts, also, I am afraid, a fair amount of brute force. Of course, you may possess all these, if so , then I apologise.
But start by changing the oil and filter, then the air filter and plugs. Save on basic services, not major repairs.
Also a 1998 car is not for 'keeps' .It is pretty old in car terms and not something to cherish.
98 0.3 are garage telling truth about my bearings? - Rattle
Sounds like you have a decent caring garage to me, they have not tried to fob you off.

Do the course but don't expect it to make you a mechanic. I am a not a web developer but I know how to make websites, I can program in PHP, ASP.NET etc but I am not a web developer because I lack in real experience in it. It annoys me deeply when I see these five week courses on how to be a web developer and earn 30k. Well I studied at university and got a good mark on it and in the real world still found it hard to get a job! I did have one job as a web developer a while back before the climate changed.

It is the same with these mechanic courses, no disrespect to them but you cannot learn ten years of experience in a short course. i think these courses are great to give you confidence in doing basic thinks like oil changes, plugs, senors and other routines things such as bleeding but they won't teach how to be a mechanic over night.
98 0.3 are garage telling truth about my bearings? - Lud
other routines things such as bleeding

Tell us about it Rattle. Most of us have shed gallons of the stuff over the years just dusting our door mirrors, let alone trying to open the doors.
98 0.3 are garage telling truth about my bearings? - oilrag
Rattle, With all due respect, I think you`re over egging the pudding with perceived difficulty and skills required to work on cars.

My mates and I never had any tuition at all, we read basic Car Mechanics mag, workshop manuals and more detailed textbooks in the library. Then we got stuck into applying theory directly into practice - stripping and rebuilding engines.
As I`ve said before, my Profession had nothing to do with using tools of any sort, but despite this I reckon tens of thousands of pounds have been saved over decades.
Only a couple of weeks back I reworked the tumblers in a scrapyard door lock and saved around £330 over Fiats price for a fitted lockset. (total cost £3)
A while before that I saved £50 on fitting a check strap. Regular servicing, hundreds saved each year - even though I`m now 60yrs and working on the drive

Re the lock, Even the Independent trade wouldn`t do that - at the garages I rang. "We don`t go that far" re working on the tumblers.. and of course not professional time is too expensive - but your own free time is not.

Sure, there are some things I wouldn`t tackle - due to not having the equipment - but I think you seem to set a very `low bar` to handing over money for simple jobs. Or at least jobs that would be simple if a workshop manual were used.

Regards

(written in the interests of encouraging others to DIY ;-)

Edited by oilrag on 14/05/2009 at 09:22

98 0.3 are garage telling truth about my bearings? - geoff1248
I have no doubt that we all know, or have known, an old gent who could repair just about anything. In fact some of the Back Roomers may very well be such an old gent. We probably all started with the basic oil change having struggled with the screw off oil filter that had been tightened up by a gorilla. Sooner or later we progressed to safety critical jobs such as brakes and steering then progressing to stripping down a gear box. The problem arises when we agree to do some work on a "friends" car. Remember many of us are amateurs and our only qualification is years of experience. What if the job goes wrong and our friend is injured as a result of our work. No proper qualifications means no insurance so you end up being sued by your friend.
If you are self employed whether doing car repairs or IT the insurance companies will need qualifications to cover you for liability.
98 0.3 are garage telling truth about my bearings? - Javalin
you say that but as with anything not courses are equal.

I'm on my third course (evenings) at the local college and its excellent. We've done some diagnosis in this one (compression test/leakdown test, so far) and lots of "this is how XYZ system works" in the two previous ones.

Granted most poeple on there won't actually DO that much DIY (oil change etc) - but with a little mechanical knowledge, a haynes manual, a good forum :-), you can do a lot. I maintain (cam belts, water pumps, master brake cylinder, fluids etc) my two Golfs (and Fiesco when I had it) myself - bar the bigger/heavier/need special expensive tools jobs.

Wouldn't touch a "modern" car (aka TD) really though - as the technology requires much more computer aided diagnostics I believe, etc - but our 10 year + old cars are simple enough.

James
98 0.3 are garage telling truth about my bearings? - mike hannon
>>> other routines things such as bleeding

Tell us about it Rattle. Most of us have shed gallons of the stuff over the years just dusting our door mirrors, let alone trying to open the doors.<

Yeah, I saw a really mint 25-year-old Accord on eBay the other day, just like the one I owned. When I went to bid for it I looked down at my hand and saw the scar the last one gave me. And that was just fiddling with the radio.