Cavalier fuel guage - woodcutter
Have just got myself a very tidy 94 td Cavalier, only problem is the fuel guage. When filled to the brim it only shows just over half full, and sometimes doesn't register at all. As a non-autoelectrician and having had a similar problem on a Sierra 4x4 my main suspect is the sender unit, any suggestions or ideas on how to check?

Cavalier fuel guage - steve paterson
It's worth checking the earth connection on the sender unit. It always was a problem on Earlier Cavaliers.
Cavalier fuel guage - Richard J
Ignore the fuel gauge and reset the trip odometer when you fill up. A cav 1.7TD should give 450/500 miles to a tank.

This does mean, of course, that you must fill to the brim each time !
Cheers Richard, as a biker I'd already used that option but I think it will bug me! Will check the earth out along with other connections when I get the chance.
Cavalier fuel guage - mscott
How's the Temp guage? I had an Astra whose Fuel and Temp guage started reading about two thirds normal. Needed a new instrument panel voltage regulator.
You could be right about the temp guage, it does seem a bit low, will check out the voltage regulator when I find it!
Cavalier fuel guage - RogerL
Careful, "Normal" on a Vauxhall Cavalier temperature gauge is about a quarter, ie first white line after the blue segment. The earth connection post is a red-herring as the sender is earthed through the engine.
Must be the sender unit, voltage regulator is ok. Thanks for all the ideas.