05 1.3 CDTI timing chain failure - damage - siandche
i have a 2005 1.3 cdti combo van and my timing belt?chain?? has snapped.
is this a 'safe' engine or am i looking at internal carnage??
cheers in advance

Moved over from Discussion

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/05/2009 at 01:15

timing belt 2005 1.3cdti - bimmer-driver
Very likely damage I'm afraid. I know someone else who had it snap and the vauxhall dealer said they'd never seen one go before, so just recommended a new engine. Bear in mind its a 16 valve aswell so lots to be damaged.
timing belt 2005 1.3cdti - siandche
cheers for that mate
bump!!!
timing belt 2005 1.3cdti - oilrag
It`s a chain drive and it`s not a non interference design. What`s the mileage and service intervals? what oil?

sorry to hear of your trouble..

Edited by oilrag on 10/05/2009 at 22:34

i've heard conflicting stories.....there are 4 engines on this model year,some belt and some chain driven??
97000 and well maintained.
If it`s the 1.3 diesel - the joint venture by Fiat and GM, its a chain. I have the Fiat version.

so in your experiance,is the chain prone to snapping??
I`m not a tech, but its the first i`ve heard of - certainly on the Fiat applications.

There are some Vaux techs here - you will get a better reply than mine from them, perhaps tomorrow - as its Sunday.

What happened do you think? was it on extended service intervals?
not a clue mate.....just lucky i guess!!
bump....again
timing belt 2005 1.3cdti - markandchrissie
Working for Royal Mail who use and abuse these vans, timing chain failure is quite common. Apparently dirty oil blocks the tensioner. The last one we had just had a new chain kit fitted and it was up and running again.
timing belt 2005 1.3cdti - psxnut
Hi, I just bought a van ex PO van with exactly this problem, got to take the head off to see whats occuring with the valves, ill.e let you know what I find.
timing belt 2005 1.3cdti - topbloke
we have one of these in the workshop at the moment 90k on the clock and it has absolutly wrecked the engine so no they are not a safe engine, Regards TB