99 1.9 Obscure electrical gremlin when braking - 1 - David Horn
Bit of history on the car: driven into flood water earlier this year and sucked water up the air intake. Engine replaced (1.9TD XUD) and all seemed well. Two weeks ago the front brake pads were replaced and the rear drums cleaned. We still need to reconnect the rev counter and speedo cables to the instrument cluster.

Recently, when braking hard the brake, oil pressure, and STOP warning lights come on, stay on for 2 seconds, and then go out. This can be easily replicated but it only does it when braking. A jerky stop does not cause it; it takes a second or two of hard deceleration.

It makes no difference whether uphill or downhill. Speed bumps and potholes do not set it off. The lights will flicker on during a hard left hand turn, but it's not as repeatable as the stopping.

I've checked that all the fuses and relays are seated correctly. Disconnecting the brake-fluid level sensor has no effect - in fact, the brake warning light doesn't come on to indicate a fault doing that.

I do appreciate that it's (a) a Citroen and (b) it's got wet, but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this problem before?

Thanks very much for any input - it's my sister's car!

Dave.

99 1.9 Obscure electrical gremlin when braking - 1 - dagenham car center
the oil pressure light when illuminated brings on all the other lights,so check you oil level and top up if nec.
please get back to us if this is right or wrong.
99 1.9 Obscure electrical gremlin when braking - 1 - David Horn
Problem solved - enormous thanks to noddy9!

Me (yesterday): Have you checked the oil?
Sister: Yes, it's fine.

This morning I put nearly 4 litres into the engine and it's now going perfectly. Sister has received a lesson in how to check the oil level properly. I'd had a suspicion that it was something flowing forwards (hence only coming on after a second or two of deceleration), but was put off by her insistence that the oil level was fine.

Once again a brilliant example of how great the HJ site is. :-)
99 1.9 Obscure electrical gremlin when braking - 1 - dagenham car center
ok,no worries
i was wondering what else it could be if not oil level.
ps we get it all the time at the garage,customers insisting its been checked,its fine,its a new one,we have to ignore what they say and do our own tests,especially wrong fuel in the fuel tank!!!!!!!!!
99 1.9 Obscure electrical gremlin when braking - 1 - Rattle
Lets hope there is no damage :) My dads Fiesta put the oil light on 20k ago and the engine still works.