Volkswagen PD weak top end? - mattbod
I know there has been a lot of discussion about these engines on here but I have read on another site that they' re prone to lunching their cam bearings even if you use the correct 505.01 oil and that the top end is generally weak. Is this true?
Volkswagen PD weak top end? - Altea Ego
No
Good simple answer. The thread to which I refer is on Briskoda in the conversation on Cr and Pd engines.It's a good debate but one guy does say that the top end gets in a "bit of a mess" at high miles.See the thread under ref materials on Briskoda.
Volkswagen PD weak top end? - Altea Ego
Ask any guys on here running PD engines if their top end has got into a bit of a mess.

You wont find many

Volkswagen PD weak top end? - George Porge
PDs do wear there cam and followers, 150 BHP suffer more than most, if you have a PD engine with a slight misfire take the camcover off..........................
Good pics of the damage on P2

tinyurl.com/crqjgr
Volkswagen PD weak top end? - DP
I've only ever heard of it affecting the 150 bhp engines, or others where consistent use of 505.01 oil cannot be confirmed.

I know of several 105 and 130 PD engines which have made over 200,000 miles without this happening.
I run a 130 pd (unmodded) so this is reassuring. I have always used 505.01 but maybe should change it every 5000 miles?

Engines been fine touch wood. Only done 36K but has needed a new turbo in that time (funded by Skoda goodwill). Those pictures on the Golf forum look nasty but I note it is a 150 PD which is known to be a bit troublesome as others have said.
Maybe the 150s use a different cam profile, considering how common the PD engine is I don't think its anything to worry about, an extra oil change isn't going to do any harm other than your wallet.
Volkswagen PD weak top end? - b308
I've only had the 100/105 and 80 ones - the 100 had no probs at all over 80k... I know that the taxi firm we used had a fleet of 130bhp Superbs that went well over 200k without any issues...

Perhaps, knowing some the Briskoda guys' liking for speed, the ones with failed top ends had been mod'd!!

One thing is the use of correct oil - at the outset it was horrendously expensive (VW milked us on price), so some may have skimped by using ordinary stuff early in the cars' life - that wouldn't have helped matters - at least now its come down in price to ordinary prices...

Edited by b308 on 08/05/2009 at 09:57

Volkswagen PD weak top end? - v8man
My 2006 Jetta 140bhp PD is on 83,000 miles and is absolutely fine.
Volkswagen PD weak top end? - craig-pd130

In the couple of years after the PDs were introduced (up to 2002 / 3), there was quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that some dealers were not using the proper PD-spec oil at services.

I was active on a popular VW forum and a Seat forum at the time, and there were several threads from owners who'd had PD-engined cars serviced by VW / Seat dealers who had used generic diesel lube ... some had scanned copies of the service receipts to prove it.
Volkswagen PD weak top end? - AlanGowdy
and there were several threads from owners who'd had PD-engined cars serviced by VW /
Seat dealers who had used generic diesel lube ... some had scanned copies of the
service receipts to prove it.

Yes - many dealers just shoved in the stuff they buy in bulk. Good it may have been, good enough it was not. Stick to the spec and change the oil regularly.
Volkswagen PD weak top end? - b308
When they first came out I don't think the dealers were told just how important it was to use the correct oil - I remember that I went to my local Skoda dealer and he tried to sell me ordinary oil for topping it up - its only when I went to Skoda and complained that they started to sell the right stuff - another person who I told about it managed to get three years free servicing after he complained to his garage when they used ordinary stuff!
Checked my invoices and it states PD oil: phew!