2006 1.6 VCT petrol engine flat spots - derek eastbourne
Car has done 27,000 miles. I have been experiencing quite severe flat spots at mid range revs. initially thought it was dirty fuel but two tank fulls on the problem is still there. I have changed plugs, coil pack & air filter. I understand there is no fuel filter. Engine idles normally & symptoms appear after several miles(around 20 to 30). not keen on going to local Ford dealer as they charge the earth. Next step is to change plug leads. Any suggestions please. I do not have trouble with water round plugs as experienced by some owners.

Pity there is no Haynes manual yet.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/05/2009 at 20:30

2006 1.6 VCT petrol engine flat spots - L'escargot
not keen on going to local Ford dealer as they charge the earth.

You're being too cynical. In any case, a Ford dealer would more than likely diagnose the problem straight away. And if the car is under 36 months old it may still be under warranty. At the moment you appear to be spending money and still floundering.
2006 1.6 VCT petrol engine flat spots - MikeTorque
Personally I'd take it to a Ford garage and let them see if diagnostics shows up anything. Also they may know if there is a known issue and they can then inform you what the problem is and you can decide whether or not you want them to fix it or let someone else sort it out.

If the car is still under warranty then it should cover this type of problem.
2006 1.6 VCT petrol engine flat spots - Jon P
Agreeing with the last two posts here. Get the local franchise to plug it into their diagnostics kit.

Fair play to you - and no offence - you've tried all the things that may well have worked on a Capri in 1983, but the world has moved on in technical terms. Your problem could be related to any one of the new-fangled electronic sensors etc which make engines work nowadays. Sussing problems such as those you describe have been moved from within the reach of the average motorist by "progress".

Give it a day or so, though. There's blokes out there who may well know.

Edited by Jon P on 05/05/2009 at 20:13

As suggested, have taken car to local Ford garage. Their diagnostics show nothing, no fault code. They have suggested I run the car in to them when fault occurs which is always after having been driven around 25 to 30 miles.
2006 1.6 VCT petrol engine flat spots - MikeTorque
If you can reproduce the problem consistently then write down exactly what has to happen, then give the info to the garage, it should help them track it down. If it's an intermittent problem they are harder to track down.

What fuel have you been using ?
I have been mostly using Sainsbury's Super grade but have also tried Shell with no change. Local Ford garage most helpful but no fault stored yet for them to diagnose.
2006 1.6 VCT petrol engine flat spots - Singlish
Apparantly Haynes are preparing a manual which should be available in the summer, however I agree with others below, a Ford Dealer's advice/work can work out cheaper in the long run.

Andrew
SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 23/05/2009 at 16:50

I finally seemed to have cured the problem by replacing plug leads & driving the car harder by7 using a few more revs.

Difficult to tell which cured the problem but car has been fine for past 3 weeks.